Thought I might be pregnant, turns out I am just old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-02-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

background, I am almost 46, I am a late blooming mama to 2 sons, having my first at 41 and my second at 43.

My oldest DS will be 5 on Jan 10 and is still nursing in tandem with my youngest.

Anyway I am not actively TTC but not avoiding it either, both my DH and I would like a little girl. My period is late and I thought maybe, did some pee sticks and they were BFNs.

I went to see my gp on friday and he did some bloodwork, today he called me in to discuss the results and he says my hormones say I am peri menopausal

So now I feel all old and bummed out, he says there is a chance I could still conceive but I feel all used up and depressed all of a sudden.

I'm not sure why I am really posting, I guess it was just hard to hear that kind of news. I feel younger than 45, and it just all caught up with me.

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#2 of 5 Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle~Mommy :) View Post

background, I am almost 46, I am a late blooming mama to 2 sons, having my first at 41 and my second at 43.

My oldest DS will be 5 on Jan 10 and is still nursing in tandem with my youngest.

Anyway I am not actively TTC but not avoiding it either, both my DH and I would like a little girl. My period is late and I thought maybe, did some pee sticks and they were BFNs.

I went to see my gp on friday and he did some bloodwork, today he called me in to discuss the results and he says my hormones say I am peri menopausal

So now I feel all old and bummed out, he says there is a chance I could still conceive but I feel all used up and depressed all of a sudden.

I'm not sure why I am really posting, I guess it was just hard to hear that kind of news. I feel younger than 45, and it just all caught up with me.
It's okay to post just for support I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Do you have any options for fertility treatments before menopause sets in all the way for you? There's also adoption, especially domestic adoption and through foster care... you could still have your little girl, if not in the way you thought. Sometimes there's a mixed blessing in these things <3 but I hear your sadness and I wish you some peace.

#3 of 5 Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 AM

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 5 Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 AM

I'm sorry, hon. That must have been so disappointing to hear.

Does being in peri-menopause mean that it's no longer possible to get pregnant or just less likely? Congratulations on your two post-40 babies! There are a number of women here who will be encouraged by your pregnancies (including me, who turns 40 in a few months!).

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#5 of 5 Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageMom6 View Post
Congratulations on your two post-40 babies!
Thank you! we never thought we would see ourselves at this age with young kids, but we had a lot of fun, travel and living life before our first "surprise" so I have no regrets, well maybe now and again

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageMom6 View Post
Does being in peri-menopause mean that it's no longer possible to get pregnant or just less likely? There are a number of women here who will be encouraged by your pregnancies (including me, who turns 40 in a few months!).
Not impossible, but definitely less likely and also their are more risks involved. My period is all screwed up so I can't really chart ovulation. My husband is out of town at least 5 days a month and we are slowing down a bit in the sex drive department, so it will be "another" miracle if I conceive

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page