heavy, heavy, heavy flow, not sure where to post this - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not for the squeamish but i need some advice.
this is the 2nd day of the 2nd time af has been around since dd was born and i feel like i'm bleeding to death. if i was losing this much blood from a wound i would go to the hospital, seriously.
early this morning i had a feeling that i should get up and when i did it all started *pouring* down my legs and all over the floor. my pjs are ruined, but luckily not the sheets too.
dh was very concerned when he saw the mess but i told him that it was ok for him to go to work.
i'm going through about an ob every 1.5-2 hours while using pads too and wearing black. is this normal?

raising and growing in the green mountains.chicken3.gif

#2 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 PM

wow that does not sound normal at all. Especially since you said you recently gave birth. How long has it been? was your postpartum check up ok? I would 100% go see my obgyn or even ER if I was feeling faint. Heavy AF is normal for me but even on my heaviest days that has never happened. please get this checked out. and btw hydrogen peroxide is great to get blood stains out esp if they are fresh.

BFPChart2.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Is it a regular ob, super, super plus? I'm assuming the flow is only this heavy for a few days and then tapers off into more normal-to-light flow for the rest of AF?

Honestly, I think that it's probably normal. I have pretty heavy flow: I gave up on regular OBs years ago because they couldn't last 45 min, then gave up on supers, and now use super-plus which will last me almost 4 hrs with pads for backup. I do not have endometriosis or any other issues: just heavy flow, lucky us. And considering that this is only you're 2nd pp cycle, I think some wonkiness is to be expected.

If I were you, I would increase my iron just in case and keep an eye on it. If the flow is this heavy for more than 2-3 days days or you have other symptoms (severe abdominal pain, faintness, etc.), I would call a doctor just for additional input.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#4 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

it's been almost nine mo since dd was born so i don't think it's birth related. i was always pretty light before so it had me a little freaked out but maybe it's my new "normal" who knows? af #1 post partum may have only been a little spotting.
yeah, i've got an old box of ob regulars right now since that was what i used before if i wasn't using sea sponges and mama cloths. the sponge and cloth are being temporarily abandoned for now.
thankfully i'm not faint or weak, just uncomfortable and crampy. part of me feels like if it were very serious i would be in a lot of pain. i'll keep an eye on the situation and my mineral intake for sure.

raising and growing in the green mountains.chicken3.gif

#5 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 PM

My first PPAF after DD#1 was like that - extremely heavy. I was 11 mos. PP, and it really scared DH to see me bleeding so much. It was just that one time for me though. My periods are usually very heavy anyway.

#6 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 05:08 PM

I bled like that after my second baby after I'd had a few normal cycles. I had no cramps at all (unusual), went through a super plus tampon in 45-60min all day, gushed blood when I stood up and even had mid-cycle spotting. Turned out I had an ovarian cyst that went away on it's own after two months and it all went back to normal. I hope it's that simple for you

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page