Describe your ovulation pain. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The more detailed the better.

I'm trying to get a feel for what is normal or average or even what isn't.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM

I feel mine each month although not everyone does! I can even feel which side, right or left ovary is releasing the egg. To me the pain can be minimal to strong. Feels like I'm bloated, having menstrual cramping, and have a feeling of fullness in my lower abdomen. The biggest symptom though is the feeling of painful menstrual cramps. I have slippery CM too.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Bloated, pressure feeling in my lower abdomen...Sometimes I get a sharp stabbing pain on one side

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 01-12-2010, 06:05 PM

imagine having a thread tied around your ovary and have someone tug on it randomly for a little while...

thats how it feels for me.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

Ever since my last birth I've been having what I think is O pain. It almost feels like I'm very constipated, full, bloated feeling in my lower abdomen but it's weird because I feel it in my rectum too.

I can also feel which side I think is o'ing because it's more painful in that ovarian area. If I sit down to hard/fast sometimes it sends a sharp pain.

I didn't know ovulation pain was really so uncomfortable!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can feel what side its on. It feels like a very strong gas bubble towards my back, on one side. It last for 1/4 of a day for me. It has been very intense since I've had kids.

Although I have no cramps during AF at all, the O pain is starting to make up for it, lol!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
Old 01-16-2010, 08:15 PM

Funny you posted this. I was just coming to ask something similar. Well, actually I do have a question but I will spin off of this thread.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLang View Post
I can feel what side its on. It feels like a very strong gas bubble towards my back, on one side. It last for 1/4 of a day for me.
That's the closest description to what I feel. It's very localized, and it almost feelts like something is going to explode in there. As if I were trying to shove a grape through one of my veins. Like it's not throw yourself on the floor pain, but it's very uncomfortable. Sometimes it feels sharp, and like I'm being poked too- like the person that mentioned the string.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLang View Post
It last for 1/4 of a day for me.
Hmmm, I feel mine for 2-3 days. I wonder if any other people feel it for that long...

Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 AM

some do... that also depends on whether you are feeling it before, during or after ovulation happens... the people who feel it before/after generally feel it for a long time... however ovulation itself only takes about 15 minutes (until recently this fact was not actually known, see below) so if the pain lasts longer its more likely the gearing up to O or the after-effects of O that you are feeling

btw if you want to see why it feels the way it does (WARNING: THIS IS GRAPHIC AND INCLUDES PICTURES) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7447942.stm this is a link to a news story about a lady who ovulated mid-surgery and they were able to catch the actual ovulation on camera!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 AM

Whoa! Those pics are awesome!

I feel the crampy/bloated feeling as well. I usually have a "ugh, I'm about to start my period" moment before I realize it is way to early for that and realize it is ovulation.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
btw if you want to see why it feels the way it does (WARNING: THIS IS GRAPHIC AND INCLUDES PICTURES) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7447942.stm this is a link to a news story about a lady who ovulated mid-surgery and they were able to catch the actual ovulation on camera!
That is so amazing! Wow! (now sending to all my friends )
Quote:
some do... that also depends on whether you are feeling it before, during or after ovulation happens... the people who feel it before/after generally feel it for a long time... however ovulation itself only takes about 15 minutes (until recently this fact was not actually known, see below) so if the pain lasts longer its more likely the gearing up to O or the after-effects of O that you are feeling
I definitely think my pain might be from the swelling follicle and most of it is before ovulation. I have an increased pain for a few hours one night (which I'm thinking is actually O) and then the pain decreases over the next day from that.

Cool! Thanks for your help ladies!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM

It's usually sharp and stabby and comes in waves. It is strongest for about 15-30 minutes. At times I have to pause and breathe through it for a bit. It usually makes itself well known and if I can sit and relax for abit while it's happeneing, then that's the best thing.

signature currently in transition
Old 01-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I feel it for a few days (4-5). I've had episodes of "gearing up to O" and then not O'ing when I feel it for days, too. It feels like cramps, but not as low down, and sometimes it's to one side. Honestly, for me they are worse than menstrual cramps (which is usually only about half a day long).

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 AM

I only had O pain the months I was on clomid. I think I borderline hyperstimulated the month I conceived. It felt like gas pains except they didn't move around. ANd if I pressed on my belly it hurt even more. The day after I ovulated they were gone.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Huh. You know, I always thought it'd be cool to feel ovulation happening. Now I'm kinda glad I don't! Sounds pretty unpleasant. :/

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM

Mine is VERY bad pain..like, active labor contractions for the 10 minutes or so i ovulate. Sharp, stabbing pain and accompanying contraction-like cramps....I've been known to literally fall to my knees in public screaming and crying because of it. It's a very intense, horribly painful few minutes.

CPST
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 PM

Mine always starts 3-5 days before o day. I get little knife like stabs not to painful but they do catch my attention. It usually is only on my left side but on occasion I get it on the right or both at the same time. The day of O the pain is a sharp stab unlike any of the pre o pains. I know the exact moment when that egg pops free I can almost hear it actually

Then for about 3 days after I feel achy on the side I oed from.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 AM

I described my O feelings above. I'm just curious though, why some months it's extremely painful while other months just a small amt. of pain
Anyone know why?

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 AM

I have a theory cant prove it though

I think it has to do with which follicles are maturing and where they are on the ovary. Some spots of the ovary touch more of your intestines/internal organs than others and the more pain you feel is from the spots where they touch and rub so they get irritated more.

Since that is what causes O pain for the most part anyway it makes sense to me that would be the cause.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List