irregular period after birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is six months old and I had my first postpartum period last month. It was like a regular period, just as heavy as it usually is, and lasted about a week, which is normal for me. Now it's been over a month, maybe a month and a week, and I haven't had a second period. I took a pregnancy test last week and it was negative.

Is it common for a period to be irregular postpartum? I wouldn't mind being pregnant... but it's bugging me not knowing. How long before it becomes regular again??

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11
mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpg homebirth.jpgcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Yeah, that's pretty normal. I went from having really predictable 24 day cycles with a constant 9 day LP to having some 29, 28, 25 etc with 11 to the shortest being 8 day LP. I've been charting and just can't figure out the new normal for me.

Are you still BF? That can make it different as well. I wasn't able to due to various circumstances so I've had mine back for about 6 months.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#3 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I am still BF. My period started when I started putting him in his own bed at night, but he was crankier during the day so we are co-sleeping again, and he nurses about every 3-4 hours.

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11

#4 of 8 Old 02-27-2010, 01:25 AM

Since your breastfeeding you can just about count on having irregular cycles for a while. It may be a few months before you get another one.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#5 of 8 Old 02-27-2010, 01:02 PM

For sure that is normal - especially if it has only been 1 AF cycle post partum. There won't be any reliable pattern for a bit (and like PP said, especially while BFing). Gotta love hormones! LOL

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#6 of 8 Old 02-27-2010, 03:50 PM

I just had my 4th baby in December. I breastfed them all. With my first my period retuned about 2 months post partum and was completely consistent... every 28 days like clockwork. With my second I got one period post partum and then didn't have another for like 2 months... which initially freaked me out.. but I was not pregnant. With my third my period returned and was consistent once again... Now this time around I had two periods... December 30th and then January 22nd, which were just like my regular periods... the I spotted a little on February 7th and my period came on the 18th as expected... but it was very light, althouh I bled lightly for 6 days. Once again I am freaking out :-) But so far I am chalking it up to my body regulating itself, especially since I am breastfeeding and took 4 pregnancy tests which came up negative.
#7 of 8 Old 02-28-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

haha oh darn! okay, well, guess i'll just have to deal. when i took the HPT, i was kinda hoping it would come back positive. does temping at this time help? or is that usually all over the chart too?

#8 of 8 Old 03-03-2010, 01:23 AM

For sure you can start temping. Since you've already had one AF you might be able to see an ovulatory pattern.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page