Breastfeeding & Conception? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-27-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I weren't planning on trying for at least another year (our son is 9 months) and we always use protection... Except we had an oopsie last night. And now I'm kind of curious about the actual chances of getting pregnant.

I haven't started getting my periods yet. My son is nine months old. He was exclusively nursed until two weeks ago, and now he nurses 1-2 times during the day and nurses at night.

Anyone have any thoughts? It'd be bad timing for a baby, but I'd still be happy as a clam.

[B]Due on Valentine's Day.
I refuse to be sliced again and I'm documenting my efforts not to be.
#2 of 7 Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 PM

I dont think you have a very high risk of it at all. Do you have any signs of fertility? (EWCM... pretty much all I suppose you would be looking for right now) having cut back 2 weeks ago... if that was going to restore your fertility (aka make you ovulate) it would have done it by now in most cases, meaning you would already be in a safe period and would be expecting AF soon. However, still nursing a few times each day and every night can still for some women be enough to hold off fertility yet.

Unfortunately, the only way to know for certain is to take a test in 2 weeks (not sooner!) But I feel pretty confident you are safe.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 7 Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Darn. And I was kind of hoping. Oh well, it's probably better this way.

#4 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

(Repost from the "I might be pregnant but I wasn't trying" thread)
So, update on me.

(TMI WARNING)
Out of curiousity, I checked my cervical mucous yesterday and again today. It's in transitional phase. It's less white today than it was yesterday and more stretchy today than it was yesterday, so it's possible I could ovulate (even though I havent had a period yet.)

And I don't know if I'm just freaking myself out, but I'm getting ovulation twinges or pains, they don't hurt, it's just a strange feeling.A strange slight (but noticeable) sensation on the left or right. I've been having it on both sides since last night around 10... not at the same exact time, but I have noticed it on both sides.

I'm mostly concerned because I did a search on google, and all I really found that pertained to the situation, was that if you WANT to become pregnant, make some sudden changes in breastfeeding routine, and we had, about two weeks to four weeks ago. They weren't SUPER-sudden, but they weren't very gradual, you know?

#5 of 7 Old 03-01-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

So, the cramping has gone down a bit. Just really mild now. I was reading somewhere that it could have been implantation cramping... especially since I've had it before with my previous pregnancies... It feels familiar.

My cervical mucous went to what's fertile (for me) last night, and returned to normal this evening.

I don't know when I ovulated... I'd say I ovulated yesterday or the day before (if I even did...) so... I'm just going to say I'm 4dpo (days past oops. lol)

It probably dosen't help me that my little guy isn't wanting to nurse much.

I ordered some internet cheapies to start testing at 7dpo (i've had positives as early as 9dpo) and yeah... Got 25 of them, so I have plenty to last me long enough.

I'm almost kind of hoping now. Does that make me terrible? It wouldn't be the worst thing if we had a baby right now.... After all, we'll be completely out of debt (minus our house payment) once we get our taxes back... So, it's feasible. It wouldn't kill us financially...

#6 of 7 Old 03-01-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

So, the cramping has gone down a bit. Just really mild now. I was reading somewhere that it could have been implantation cramping... especially since I've had it before with my previous pregnancies... It feels familiar.

My cervical mucous went to what's fertile (for me) last night, and returned to normal this evening.

I don't know when I ovulated... I'd say I ovulated yesterday or the day before (if I even did...) so... I'm just going to say I'm 4dpo (days past oops. lol)

It probably dosen't help me that my little guy isn't wanting to nurse much.

I ordered some internet cheapies to start testing at 7dpo (i've had positives as early as 9dpo) and yeah... Got 25 of them, so I have plenty to last me long enough.

I'm almost kind of hoping now. Does that make me terrible? It wouldn't be the worst thing if we had a baby right now.... After all, we'll be completely out of debt (minus our house payment) once we get our taxes back... So, it's feasible. It wouldn't kill us financially...

#7 of 7 Old 03-03-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

As for me, I still have that swollen/tender feeling in my uterine area. Not as strong as it was yesterday, but its still there. And my cervical mucous went from having dried up for the most part the last two days, to being really thick and white and creamy, but not stretchy at all.

I'm really confused. I want to be pregnant, because otherwise I have to wait for another 2.5 years or another oops (which is unlikely to happen. Hubby is a condom nazi 99.9% of the time) and I really don't want to wait that long...

But on the other hand, I'm scared. I don't know how I'd handle three kids!

I'm also scared I'm getting my hopes up, but I feel almost 100% certain i AM pregnant.

So confused.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page