Severe pain, what to ask doctor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been having severe menstrual-like cramps for 3 days. They ebb and flow somewhat, but mostly they are quite severe. I have a 6-month-old who was exclusively breastfed until last week when we started rice cereal twice a day. Dh had a vasectomy 7 weeks ago, but 2 weeks ago still tested positive for sperm. I have not had a postpartum period yet. My annual gynecological exam is tomorrow, and I want the doctor to find out what's wrong!

Could I possibly be pregnant? Ectopic pregnancy? Is this just ovulation? My body gearing up for fertility? Maybe it's not even my girl parts, but my colon or appendix? We've been having unprotected sex (on the logic that by the time my postpartum fertility returns, the vasectomy will have taken effect). The pain is worst on the lower left. Tylenol and ibuprofen help, but only for an hour at a time, although the pain sometimes goes away on its own for a few hours.

I just want the gynecologist to diagnose me. What do I ask or tell him. TIA!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#2 of 7 Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM

That is really unusual for him to still be testing pos for sperm that far out after the v. Sounds like he may actually have not gotten the proper cords cut.

Not sure about the pain but have you taken a pg test? It could be your body just getting ready to have af again but it might be something more. I hope you get it figured out.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I want to add, my nipples have been sensitive with painful nursing, and I have a pimple, so those are signs of something hormonal.

#4 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 AM

If you are pregnant (and thats a big if) cramping can totally be normal without it being ectopic. So I would cut out that worry until it becomes necessary... thats a big worry you really dont need!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I had similar cramping when I first got pregnant with my 6 mo, but that is worrisome enough. Dh and I agreed that if he got me pregnant after the vas, that kid deserves to be here; but, obviously he wouldn't have had it done if another baby had been in the plan! Twice was enough!

#6 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, doc said he couldn't find any cysts or anything else abnormal, agreed with me that pregnancy is unlikely but sent me for a blood test just in case. By the time I get the results from that, enough time will have passed for an HPT to be accurate oh and also he ordered a thyroid test because he said occasionally that causes women not to have periods.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the test results or make an appointment with a different doctor or see if the pain goes away on its own or what. On the bright side, my morning temp is low (one temp means nothing, really, but it was comforting nonetheless) and I rode my bike to work yesterday and didn't get tired at all (when I was pregnant and didn't know it, riding my bike to work practically made me pass out under my desk).

Arrrrrggggghhhhh I hate hurting and not knowing why!

#7 of 7 Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I got my period yesterday.

In my defense, in the "olden" days I never had cramps before the bleeding started, let alone a week in advance. Plus, with DD1 I didn't get my period back until she was 15 months old, and DD2 is only six months. And, my temps are still pre-ovulatory, indicating that this is actually anovulatory bleeding and not a true menstrual period.

I still feel silly, though. Thanks for your concern!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page