First period since baby-- too heavy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi-

I am 12 months post-partum and have just begun my first menstrual cycle (wow two years off!) I know that the return of bleeding can be different than what you experienced pre-baby, especially until those hormones get settled... and I also know that super heavy is not uncommon, but I am going through a super plus tampon every hour or less. I stopped wearing panty liners with the tampons and started wearing super pads because once the leak starts it is fast and I was soiling all my clothes. Is that normal or is that too much? I was up every hour all night and sometimes that wasn't enough (I was nearly in tears at five am trying to clean blood stains out of the carpet from a too late rush to the bathroom). I am also finding that the tampons are not staying in place super well. My husband thinks it is the heavy flow... but seriously, it is not a stream washing them out. If I walk around and bend a lot they seem to start poking out a little. The other thing I find a little strange is suddenly the little one is less interested in eating and more interested in nursing. This coincides with the start of the period. Anyone have this sort of thing happen?
#2 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Fertility

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 PM

Been there with my last 2 children. I found drinking at least a cup of RRL tea everyday really helped with the flow and it was different for the next cycle. I've also found taking Advil during my cycle reduced the flow and how long my cycle lasted.
As for the nursing, my babe is up more at night the closer I am to getting my period to nurse and then goes down again once my period is done.

Love tocrochetsmilie.gifand have way to much yarn!   teapot2.GIF is always on at my place.  
Wife familybed1.gif, momma femalesling.GIF, teacher homeschool.gif and all that is inbetween to A b. 31/12/04,  W b. 27/10/06vbac.gif,  V b 17/01/09hbac.gif, and     G b. 09/09/11hbac.gif

#4 of 7 Old 07-20-2010, 03:43 PM

My first PPAF at 10 1/2 months was super heavy. I remember waking up to get the baby and having to let her cry in her crib while I took a quick shower because I was such a mess. That was with my Divacup in, and I think that holds at least at much as a super plus tampon. It was really surprising for me. Day 2 of my cycle is still much heavier than I ever remember, but I was on the pill before my first child and only had a couple cycles between the kids. To encourage you, I have had three cycles since then, and each one gets a little bit lighter as things even out. If you are comfortable with it, Motrin 600mg every six hours can reduce your flow, as a PP mentioned.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#5 of 7 Old 07-20-2010, 05:01 PM

I got mine back on Thurs and it lasted 2 days and was really light. What the heck is that all about!? lol

Rhiana mom of 4
Emmaleigh Claire born 8-7-09 :
#6 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh Rhiana... how lucky! Well, several days in it is still heavier than what I am used to (I practically got by with panty liners pre baby)... but at least I am not afraid of bleeding to death anymore! Thanks for helping me know it is normal to start out this way and that things should get better. You know if you just google... oh... bleeding through super plus every hour... you get all these websites telling you it is abnormal and listing scary things it could be a sign of (like cancer)... none of them bother mentioning anything about PP or nursing and hormone fluxes... I wish there was more easy to find information about that! Lots of websites say your first can be very heavy, but they don't say how heavy (like crazy crazy heavy!)
#7 of 7 Old 07-22-2010, 01:30 PM

I also had weird issues with tampons PP, always wore them before, but for some reason PP, they didn't seem to "fit" right to catch the flow. (What could be the reason for that?!) And my flow was super, super heavy but just for the first PPAF, after that it was more normal, although not what I remember from pre-kids.

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page