Stupid question re: post partum ovulation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I know the answer to this, and I think it's yes, but I have to admit to some confusion. Can I ovulate postpartum *without* having a period first? I'm 4 months pp and all signs would point to ovulation right now, but I haven't resumed my periods yet. I am EBF. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 PM

Definitely!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM

Yes, the way I understand it, ovulation comes before the period. The shedding of the uterine lining occurs after a lack of implantion of the released egg. That's why people can become pg with their next child without ever having a PP AF.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 PM

My mom went 5 years without a period because she got pregnant twice on first ovulation before period - so yes, very possible. However, your luteal phase is more likely to be insufficient to support pregnancy the earlier that you ovulate - my mom usually didn't get first period back until 9-15mo. At 4mo postpartum andf EBF, you probably will have a short luteal phase. I had first PPAF at 7 weeks and 11 weeks without ovulation and then ovulated before the next AF at 5mpp, but my LP was only 5 days. I was also EBF.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
They say the average woman is more likely to ovulate before her very 1st post partum period if that 1st period comes after she reaches 12 mos post partum. That's just an average though, so you could certainly ovulate before your 1st PPAF. Personally, I have a few periods before I start to ovulate again post partum.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. You've confirmed what I thought but wasn't sure about. Sometimes the advice & experience of other women is exactly what is needed

User Tag List