is infertility a "pre-existing condition" for insurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We want to switch insurance from mine (which we are on now) to DHs because they cover infertility (they are out of Illinois, which requires fertility treatments to be covered) - an amazing "up to 6 IVF cycles"!! I have to wait until open enrollment in November, and then the switch will be in effect Jan 1.

We visited an RE a while ago, before my miscarriage this month. We would like to start with an iui as soon as I am able to after my miscarriage is over. That would be before January, and we would just pay with our own $ for the iui, which is fine.

My question is (if we don't conceive again before the insurance switch), should we go to a different RE, and not tell them about the previous one, so as to not make infertility a pre-existing condition, or should we stick with the same RE that we have been going to?

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#2 of 8 Old 09-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post
We want to switch insurance from mine (which we are on now) to DHs because they cover infertility (they are out of Illinois, which requires fertility treatments to be covered) - an amazing "up to 6 IVF cycles"!! I have to wait until open enrollment in November, and then the switch will be in effect Jan 1.

We visited an RE a while ago, before my miscarriage this month. We would like to start with an iui as soon as I am able to after my miscarriage is over. That would be before January, and we would just pay with our own $ for the iui, which is fine.

My question is (if we don't conceive again before the insurance switch), should we go to a different RE, and not tell them about the previous one, so as to not make infertility a pre-existing condition, or should we stick with the same RE that we have been going to?
I don't think it would be considered a pre-existing condition. In fact, I think for the most part, IF is considered the symptom and not the condition...like PCOS is the condition, and one symptom of of PCOS is infertility. However, I am not sure.

BUT, if there is no gap in insurance covered, like if you have insurance A on December 31 and then insurance B on January 1, I don't think pre existing conditions matter.

And SIX IVF? OMG!!!!! How lucky!
#3 of 8 Old 09-03-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I don't think it would be considered a pre-existing condition. In fact, I think for the most part, IF is considered the symptom and not the condition...like PCOS is the condition, and one symptom of of PCOS is infertility. However, I am not sure.

BUT, if there is no gap in insurance covered, like if you have insurance A on December 31 and then insurance B on January 1, I don't think pre existing conditions matter.

And SIX IVF? OMG!!!!! How lucky!
Oh, that is good news.

And yea, 6 cycles. I can't believe it.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#4 of 8 Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 PM

I just wanted to respond to say that yes, infertility is considered a pre-existing condition by almost all insurance companies. You could call this insurance company you want to sign up for and just ask if it is, to be sure. They may or may not tell you the answer. They may ask you to just apply, in which case you're in a tricky situation.

If, when you apply, you have not been formally diagnosed, you would probably not run into problems (the diagnosis is usually made after 1 year of not conceiving).

I hesitated to respond, because I know how terrible it is to hear that. But I did just want to make sure you have the information. It may not be a problem, but it is so much better to be armed with information than to not know.

And hugs to you. This path we're all on here of wanting a baby is so hard, isn't it? And to have to deal with a bureaucratic difficulty like insurance is just adding insult to injury.

Best of luck to you.

My husband and I are trying to conceive again, while missing our beautiful daughter who was stillborn Jan. 2010
#5 of 8 Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

So if I just lie and don't tell them that I have already been diagnosed with infertility (I have), and don't tell them about the previous RE visits, they wouldn't know... right?

#6 of 8 Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM

This may be a dense question, but, is your DH's plan something he went ought and bought, or employer provided?

I was under the impression that employer provided insurance enrolled any new employees or spouses/dependents of employess, regardless of preexisting conditions. Certainly they have done so in my family.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#7 of 8 Old 09-08-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
This may be a dense question, but, is your DH's plan something he went ought and bought, or employer provided?

I was under the impression that employer provided insurance enrolled any new employees or spouses/dependents of employess, regardless of preexisting conditions. Certainly they have done so in my family.
It is employer provided. We are on my insurance, but switching to his because of the fertility coverage.

Actually,I think I found the answer online. If there is no lapse in coverage, it does not matter what you have, they can't call it a pre-existing condition. Things only become a pre-existing condition when you get new insurance and have not had insurance in a while, which is not the case with us.

#8 of 8 Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post
Actually,I think I found the answer online. If there is no lapse in coverage, it does not matter what you have, they can't call it a pre-existing condition. Things only become a pre-existing condition when you get new insurance and have not had insurance in a while, which is not the case with us.
I just wanted to pop in to say that this is my understanding as well. I think each state might be different, but where I live the major carriers can't refuse to cover a pre-existing condition, unless there has been a gap in coverage. As long as you had insurance up to the day you start the new insurance, no problem. Seems kind of loopy, but it makes sense to me that you can't punish people for moving or switching jobs and needing new coverage. (Doesn't make sense to punish those who can't afford insurance, but whatever...) Good luck, rcr!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page