If you had a blood pregnancy test... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where did you get yours done at and if you ended up paying out of pocket how much did you have to pay?

My health department said they wont do one unless I miss more than two periods in a row... by the time that happens (if it happens) and if I AM pregnant then I would already be around 20 weeks... and with my past complicated pregnancies I need to be seen by an OB asap if I am pregnant to discuss our plan on how we are going to make it through the pregnancy safely.

TIA,
Veronica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM

So uh... do they have a way of checking when your last period was? (that would be sort of creepy if they could) or can you call them up and be like... I haven't had a period in a few months and was wondering if I could come in for a test...

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 8 Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

I should have asked them about the blood test when I called and how they did it before I went in... when I went in I told them about my very odd "period" I had two weeks ago and about all my symptoms since then and about how hpts never worked with my third pregnancy and I only was able to find out about the pregnancy via blood test... well the nurse then basically ignored everything I had just told her and told me about their "rule" and shoved me out the door. And now they have it in my chart that my last "period" was the 4th of this month. My mistake.
#4 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsV88 View Post
when I went in I told them about my very odd "period" I had two weeks ago and about all my symptoms since then and about how hpts never worked with my third pregnancy and I only was able to find out about the pregnancy via blood test...
So you don't know for sure that you even had a period this month, correct? I would call again and try to talk to someone else, explaining that you're afraid the nurse you talked to last time misunderstood what you were saying.

I had to do a blood pregnancy test for school, even though I'd had 3 very clear positive HPTs, and it cost me $47 out of pocket! Had I known it would cost that, I would have argued with them. A dollar store test would have told them the same thing for way, way less. Is there a Planned Parenthood around where you live that could do it?

9/2011 items decluttered
#5 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
So you don't know for sure that you even had a period this month, correct? I would call again and try to talk to someone else, explaining that you're afraid the nurse you talked to last time misunderstood what you were saying.

I had to do a blood pregnancy test for school, even though I'd had 3 very clear positive HPTs, and it cost me $47 out of pocket! Had I known it would cost that, I would have argued with them. A dollar store test would have told them the same thing for way, way less. Is there a Planned Parenthood around where you live that could do it?
The nurse went and talked to the OB that was there and she said she was relaying what the dr said. I am going to look around town and see what everyone charges and go from there. My SO said we will save up the money for it and see what happens in two weeks... if I get a period, see what it looks like, and if its weird like what I had two weeks ago, or see if I dont get it... HPTs wouldnt work for me with my last pregnancy, only the blood test was able to tell me I was pregnant (levels were almost to 50 and I had taken a couple sensitive hpts that day too and they still never picked it up).... After something like that happening I am afraid it could happen again and a blood test is the only way for me to know. I just wish people would listen to me and take me seriously. I know my body and I have been through three other pregnancies... even if it comes out negative then I will at least know that something else is causing everything and I can get all that checked out and figure out what is wrong. kwim?

Thank you for replying.
#6 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
mine was 50$ at a fertility center. i like te idea of calling and talking to someone else. i really think a call needs to be made no matter what.

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#7 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

I looked up online and found a place that will let me order the test online ($39 for a quatitative hcg blood test) and go to one of the local lab corps and have them draw my blood. I talked it over with SO and he said we will take $20 out of the next two paychecks (payday is every Friday) and see how my next period is, if it even comes at all, and then go get the test done. If my cycle is consistant and is anything like last cycle then I have 11 ish days left until the time I can expect AF. Thank you for your help
#8 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsV88 View Post
I looked up online and found a place that will let me order the test online ($39 for a quatitative hcg blood test) and go to one of the local lab corps and have them draw my blood. I talked it over with SO and he said we will take $20 out of the next two paychecks (payday is every Friday) and see how my next period is, if it even comes at all, and then go get the test done. If my cycle is consistant and is anything like last cycle then I have 11 ish days left until the time I can expect AF. Thank you for your help
That's what I was going to suggest. I believe I saw a blood hcg for closer to 25 at one of the lab places online a few months ago, so you might consider looking for more options. If I can remember which lab, I'll let you know.
GL
Posted via Mobile Device

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page