If you chart, for how long after a BFP do you keep temping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I know that 18 high temps means pregnancy, so in theory once a HPT or blood test confirmed it one could stop charting for the next nine months. But TCOYF shows some miscarriage charts, so some women obviously kept temping past the 18-day point. How long did you keep temping? I can see that it might be helpful to know of an impending miscarriage (well, not really helpful, but... I dunno... worthwhile?), but presumably people don't keep temping for 12 weeks...

Just curious!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It will NOT tell you of an impending miscarriage. It WILL make you freak out about every little temp drop though, so I highly suggest not doing so.

I temped for 5 days after my first faint BFP... until I had one that was without a doubt positive. Then I stopped.

I have seen ladies temp for up to 20 days later, watch their temp drop and start freaking out... preparing themselves for a miscarriage which never happens. Its unnecessary stress. Dont do it!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:45 AM

I agree with Mae. it will just drive you crazy and scare you. Once you get a BFP, hide thermometer!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM

I stop immediately. The temps get wacky and they really don't tell you anything.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

Old 09-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ditto. Don't do it!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
Old 09-24-2010, 05:43 PM

I stopped as soon as I got my BFP.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 09-24-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

LOL! Okay. TCOYF had a chart with a caption saying something like "Michelle [or whoever] was warned of a possible miscarriage when her temps began to drop below the coverline at 20DPO", or something like that. But I guess there isn't much virtue in knowing a miscarriage might happen if you can't do anything to prevent it: and yeah, the false positive thing sounds unnecessarily angsty. Point taken!

Old 09-25-2010, 11:41 PM

I had my temps drop during my second pregnancy (first pregnancy ended in m/c around 6-7 weeks). It was really devastating to see the temps drop again - I was sure that I was going to miscarry again. But you know what? My son wasn't born until 42w gestation! So never again will I temp after a BFP. Not worth the stress and I don't think it tells you a thing.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 AM

I temped for two days after my BFP bc I wanted to see the green temp line on FF

I'm glad I'd read others' warning to not temp after bfp, bc I would be one of those freak-ers every time my temp was a tiny bit off... I must admit, I've had bleeding in this pg and the temptation to pick up the thermometer is there... bc... well, if my temp was UP, then I might feel better? Haven't done it yet, tho, and, as I've now made it to 11weeks, think I miiiight not fall to temptation.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
Old 09-26-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrey View Post
I temped for two days after my BFP bc I wanted to see the green temp line on FF )
Yep, me too. I was warned about temping after 18dpo so I think I went to 15dpo just to see that purty green line. Hoping to get to see another one of those this month, then I'll quit too

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh - you get a purty green line? Well, that changes everything.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:19 PM

I agree with other pp's about not temping after bfp. I had a miscarriage in June and when the spotting started, I took my temps again and they didn't go down until after the baby had come out...so it certainly didn't tell me anything. I had another miscarriage in August, this time it was only a week after the bfp and this time the pregnancy tests turned negative before the temp when down. So I can really agree that it won't predict anything. If I'm lucky enough to get another bfp, I will not temp again, but will take preg tests to see if the line is getting darker.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
LOL! Okay. TCOYF had a chart with a caption saying something like "Michelle [or whoever] was warned of a possible miscarriage when her temps began to drop below the coverline at 20DPO", or something like that. But I guess there isn't much virtue in knowing a miscarriage might happen if you can't do anything to prevent it: and yeah, the false positive thing sounds unnecessarily angsty. Point taken!
Actually, I have thought about writing to the author of TCOYF about that chart, I know exactly what you are talking about. I had two losses in 2008, one M/C and one ectopic. In both cases I started taking a few temps when I had some spotting, and I temped immediately after the loss. I actually found that it took some time for my tempertures to go back to normal in the first cycle after the loss (like maybe 5-6 days hovering above the coverline).

With my current pregnancy I stopped charting shortly after getting a BFP.

User Tag List