Question regarding birth control pills and fertility... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope this is the right place to post this. When my fiancé and I got together I went on birth control pills. ( because I found out the very hard way that I am severely allergic to spermicides and condoms. Yay.) For the first many cycles I had no problems with them other than really bad nausea. My own cycles were always one hundred percent accurate...28 days. Could tell you the exact moment I ovulated, etc. When I got to like the seventh month of pills I started spotting. Then bleeding like a light period. I went back to the NP and she said I was taking them wrong. Not true. I took then at the exact time every morning and never skipped a pill. She said it was normal then and to come back if it didn't resolve in a month. So I bled for another month without stopping. Went back. She said I must be taking them wrong. Keep taking them until I went through all of the lot I was given then she would think about changing my prescription. Well, I was getting really tired of bleeding, and being tired and queasy so my guy and I talked about me going off of them. We aren't exactly financially ready for having a baby, but we agreed we both wanted a child and we would just let nature take its course. So...I stopped taking them Aug. 9. That was the last day of active pills in my pack...I should have had a period that week but I haven't had one yet. I've taken four pregnancy tests in that time ( all negative), and I feel like my period is right around the corner...( sore breasts, bloating) but it never comes.

My question is how long does it take for the body, especially a regular one, to return to its normal functions? I took ten cycles of BC, so I'm sure a dependence on synthetic hormones was well established. But I'd like to have my period back so I can start calculating my fertility on my own.
#2 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 AM

It really varies. I took BCPs for years, went off them, and conceived my DD two weeks later. For other women it can take a very long time for the cycles to even out again. I hope things sort out for you soon.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#3 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM

I agree with just-lily. It all depends.
I was on BC for 6 years before coming off & my periods have never regulated.
I know people that took BC for 2 years & got pregnant the first month off BC.
Sadly there is no real way to tell. Hopefully they will regulate with time.

TTC Cycle #30 for #1!
#4 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. Thanks! Just wondering if there was an average. I'm hoping since I wasn't on them very long it will regulate fairly soon.

ETA: Never mind! I just took another HPT and for the first time it showed a positive! OMG! Strong vertical line and a faint horizontal line, but I think its the real thing. Going to test again first thing in the morning.
#5 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM

Jollypop- Keep us updated!

TTC Cycle #30 for #1!
#6 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congratulations!! How exciting!!

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#7 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Three Hpt's all show positive! So either I'm really pregnant...or really incompetent at using hpt's! lol!
#8 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM

CONGRATS JollyPop!
Here is to a happy & healthy 9 months!

TTC Cycle #30 for #1!
#9 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Confirmed by professionals today. I guess I get to move to the " I'm Pregnant" board! Good luck to everyone else here who is TTC!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page