Infertility after treatment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband had leukemia when he was 16. When he relapsed they tested his sperm to see if anything could be banked. Nothing was able to be banked. We are now 29 and I want a kid. I am having a hard time with this. What do I do? I knew this when we got married but now actually feel what it means. I love him dearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-22-2010, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassy2003 View Post
My husband had leukemia when he was 16. When he relapsed they tested his sperm to see if anything could be banked. Nothing was able to be banked. We are now 29 and I want a kid. I am having a hard time with this. What do I do? I knew this when we got married but now actually feel what it means. I love him dearly.
Can you sit down and talk to him about donated sperm? I know it wouldn't be his "biological" child but i would still be YOU GUYS' CHILD reguardless!!! I guess it's just something that you two would have to talk about...and come to a common ground on. Also, make sure that you guys have the funds since you would have to do IUI or IVF. If nothing else have you thought about adoption? Just asking, when did he relaps and when was the last time he had a test done? What do the doctors say? I guess there are so many factors in the difference choices that you have, but you do have options out there to being a mother. It might not be in a way that you always thought you might be one, but there are options out there for the two of you. G/L and i really hope that the two of you can come up with something that BOTH will be happy with!

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

#3 of 3 Old 10-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
There are options. Adoption or a sperm donor? If he really wants to be related to the child maybe consider a donation from his family. It may seem strange but sisters do this stuff all the time (donate eggs, become surrogates, etc.) I could understand why it may be important to see his family in your child too. However some men dont care.

I have an aquaintance whos husbands sperm had a cromosomal defect. She was destined to miscarry their baby every time. They used donor sperm and are very happy with their new baby.

The very first step is to open the lines of communication. Tell him how you feel. Ask him how he feels.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page