FRER question, does this sound pregnant?(pregnancy loss mentioned) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have had recurrent miscarriages. I have had 2 in the last year and then several prior to my last baby, who is 15 months old.

Today is 12 dpo. I test with FRER. End of day at 9dpo, I tested and it was almost a faint positive, but was unsure. Took it again in the morning at 10dpo (warning, I am a POAS addict) and it was definitely positive. The line was not dark, but it was definitely there. Then I was excited (like I said, POAS addict) and took another by the time I went to bed that night. I knew I had a couple more in the cupboard to use up, 2 more. I had started with 2 boxes of 3 I think. The next morning (yesterday) I woke up, went to the bathroom, then remembered I wanted to test again, thinking I would see a darker line. Instead, oddly, I saw no second line really, it was pretty much negative. So, a few hours later, I took another and it was definitely positive and by bedtime I took another and it was positive. So, I went to bed figuring that the morning test was negative.

OK, here is where I sound really nuts. AGAIN, I woke up in the morning and took a test. Last one from the box. It was negative!!! I am not kidding!

I do know that at this point, I just need bloodwork. But I also know that a doctor cannot do anything for early pregnancy loss so I dread going in just to have blood work. Plus, once I was really pregnant for sure, I wanted to switch to a midwife so I did not want to see my OBGYN anymore once I knew I was pregnant. 

Is FRER less reliable than it used to be? Or is it more likely that I am just having another early pregnancy loss? Thanks in advance for your help. 

(of course, I could always use that last unopened box of tests and potty on all of them too!! uugghhh).

I wanted to add, that would make today 12 dpo and having a negative on FRER. Just in case my time line got confusing. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have four kids and with two of them I had these same issues (the other two I wasn't expecting to be pregnant and was 20-30 dpo when I tested). I've had tests that are really positive next to negative ones with the same brand test from the same box with the same pee. The first response tests are guaranteed to pick up an hcg level of 25 or less. That less could be 7 or it could be 24 - a really big difference when you're only 10-12 dpo. How dilute your urine is also a huge factor at this stage. 

#3 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some women test better later in the day.... I am one of those women :)

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 AM

The sensitivity of tests can vary-even two tests from the same box can have different levels of sensitivity. You've had, what, 4 positives and 2 negatives? I say you just had a few bad quality tests. Of course, quanitative bloodwork is going to be your best answer.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#5 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 AM

Gently- Have you had any loss testing done? Having had several losses myself there are some simple blood tests that can be done to determine what is going on. For me, the solution was simply more folate and a baby aspirin a day. There are several issues that have loss as a consequence but are cheaply and easily treated...

It sounds like a positive to me! If the FRER are the new pink wrapper ones they can be a bit more flukey then the old ones were. Congratulations! I wish a happy and healthy 40 weeks.

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 AM

I agree with PP's in that every test can have different sensitivities as well as how dilute your urine is etc.....I think bloodwork would be good asap becasue it could be something as simple as using some progesterone cream to prevent early loss.
Good luck and prayers for a sticky bean!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page