ttc and charting for a girl- does it work, not work, anybody tried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am thinking about ttc conceive again.  I charted for my first baby and now I would like to try charting with the tips I've read, I think, in TCOYF and online.  After having one baby, I know I only want to have two kids, so I'd really like it to be a girl this time.  I read online that the Shettles method is 75% to 90% successful.  But, real world- has anyone tried to chart for a particular sex?  Did it work/not work for you?

#2 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 PM

I charted and aimed for girl, got a girl. I ovulated 2 days earlier that cycle, I had aimed to dtd 4 days before ovulation but it ended up 2 days before, but it did work. Maybe it was random, who knows...

#3 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 12:03 AM

Try ingender.com lots of tips and advice on swaying for a girl.

Monkey Keeper likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link.  Lots of good info.  Oh, what method to try?  Wow, charting is so much harder with a toddler.  He wakes me up in the morning, b/c he gets out of bed and comes running to my bed.  So, by the time I remember to take my temperature, I'm aleady talking and moving.  I seems to have tons of mucus now after having one child, so I could go on that alone, but I like charting and temping.  I may have to set my alarm to wake me up before the time I think he's going to wake up.

#5 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 PM

I had a super regular 28 day cycle, I sorta kept track of ovulation by EWCM.  We DTD 2 days before ovulation.  First month didn't get pregnant.  The second month I did and it was a girl.  I don't know if it was because of that, but with my first pregnancy we DTD the same day I ovulated and it was a boy. 

Mama to three

#6 of 12 Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, that favors Shettles method and not the O + 12 method, so it looks like we'll try his method and pray too.

#7 of 12 Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 AM

This is very interesting to me. I've heard that you can try to time it for a girl, and I would LOVE to have a girl. I always thought it was an old wives tale, but this gives me hope! Thanks for the info!

Shelley (40) and SO (34) - TTC #1

My Chart!
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/340ddf
#8 of 12 Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

We attempted for a girl by DTD a few days out from O when ttc #1. We did not succeed in getting pg that way- it really requires a lot of patience since your odds of getting pg get lower the farther out from O you go. So we gave up and just DTD everyday before and through O.... and ended up with a girl anyway! With my second pregnancy, we were actually CTA... we DTD a full 5 days prior to O thinking that was safe. Well, it wasn't and we ended up with a boy! So I'm in the "some babies just really want to be born" camp!  lol.gif

Monkey Keeper likes this.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#9 of 12 Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Hi, i did the timing too (DTD 3 days before O)  it worked, i got my girl and right on ovulation for my boys  Stav:)

http://babygirlorboytolove.blogspot.com.au/

#10 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious&eager View Post

Well, that favors Shettles method and not the O + 12 method, so it looks like we'll try his method and pray too.

We swayed for (and got) a boy, but other than timing, you can combine lots of things. O+12 is a lot harder to pinpoint, but if you do a cut-off method plus pH changes, I think that is good way to try. And yes, pray :)

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#11 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley71 View Post

This is very interesting to me. I've heard that you can try to time it for a girl, and I would LOVE to have a girl. I always thought it was an old wives tale, but this gives me hope! Thanks for the info!

Well, you have to balance your desire to try for a specific gender vs. actually getting pregnant.   Studies show that at best the O+1 method increases your odds of a girl by 2%.  Statistically, Shettles as been shown ineffective.  Check out in-gender.com for more details.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#12 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I think I tried Shettles for a few cycles and didn't get pregnant.  Then I tried every day up of mucus until O day and I'm now pregnant with my girl :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page