Is Vitex Only Helpful to Regulate Cycles? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been reading a lot in preparation of TTC in the near future and despite having very regular cycles (28-30 days with a usual 12-14 day LP), it seems I have some symptoms of low progesterone.  I am still nursing my one-year-old, so it is plausible.  Would it be beneficial for me to take Vitex?  Or, is it really only useful for regulating a cycle?  It seems it is good for all PMS symptoms, which is my problem.  If I don't truly have a low progesterone issue, would it cause more harm than good?  From all the reading I've done, it doesn't seem like it would be a problem (beyond the potential for a change in milk supply), but I figured this would be one of the best places to ask!  smile.gif

#2 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going to start taking it this cycle, but my cycles are very long, most likely due to elevated prolactin levels, so it seemed like the perfect fit for me.  HTH!

Quote:  http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/Vitex.htm
Why People Use Vitex

Vitex was used as a traditional folk remedy for a range of female conditions, such as post-partum hemorrhage and to help with the "passing of afterbirth". One of its alternate names, "chaste tree", comes from the historical belief that it can suppress libido.

Vitex does not actually contain hormones. It appears to increase progesterone by stimulating the release of a hormone called luteinizing hormone from the pituitary gland. Vitex is also thought to normalize excessive prolactin levels and promote fertility.

• Female infertility
  • PMS, especially breast tenderness, cramping, and headaches
  • Acne, especially if it is related to the menstrual cycle
  • Fibrocystic breast disease
  • Heavy menstruation
  • Menopausal symptoms

Laura (26)intactlact.gif DH (39)jammin.gifdrum.gif, DS (Jan 2008)
belly.gif#2 due in Dec 2012   brokenheart.gif 2/12 brokenheart.gif 8/11

#3 of 7 Old 04-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

My understanding is that chasteberry is a estrogen/progesterone mimic, so it will bind to your hormone receptors where it can resulting in increasing whatever is low and decreasing whatever is high.  In other words, balancing out your hormones, which then results in more regular, fertile cycles.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 7 Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 PM

My MW friend has joked that a lot of her babies are vitex babies. She recommends it to anyone she knows that is TTC, and has seen a lot of successful pregnancies following that suggestion. I used it while TTC because I felt like my cycle needed help finding itself again after many years on the pill.

Which reminds me--I should start it again. I was taking it after dd weaned and my hormones went CRAZY with a capital C. And it seemed to help a lot, along with a good multi-vitamin and a lot of patience. But I've noticed my PMS getting more ugly the past few months, so maybe I need to start it up again.

#5 of 7 Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post

My MW friend has joked that a lot of her babies are vitex babies. She recommends it to anyone she knows that is TTC, and has seen a lot of successful pregnancies following that suggestion. I used it while TTC because I felt like my cycle needed help finding itself again after many years on the pill.

Which reminds me--I should start it again. I was taking it after dd weaned and my hormones went CRAZY with a capital C. And it seemed to help a lot, along with a good multi-vitamin and a lot of patience. But I've noticed my PMS getting more ugly the past few months, so maybe I need to start it up again.

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I'm thinking for myself.

#6 of 7 Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 PM

I can vouch for vitex as far as fertility. After the loss of our 3rd child (stillbirth), we tried for 4 YEARS! Nothing. After 4 years, I finally read up on and tried it, took it for that month and became pregnant. My best friend, who was ttc for about 2 years was in awe. I gave the remainder of my bottle to her, she fell pregnant 5 months later.

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momz3 View Post

I can vouch for vitex as far as fertility. After the loss of our 3rd child (stillbirth), we tried for 4 YEARS! Nothing. After 4 years, I finally read up on and tried it, took it for that month and became pregnant. My best friend, who was ttc for about 2 years was in awe. I gave the remainder of my bottle to her, she fell pregnant 5 months later.

Thanks for sharing your story.  I guess my concern is that things are seemingly normal on the outside (very regular period), but something tells me I should try Vitex (low dose) and see if it helps subdue some of the symptoms I do have.

BTW, I adore the name Evie. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page