question about basal body temp. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-08-2011, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I had a big question regarding basal body temperature accuracy. I checked out Taking Charge of your Fertility out of the library the other day.  I also recently picked up a basal thermometer at the pharmacy, and the instructions say that you have to get enough sleep in order for the test to be accurate and not move around much once you wake up in the morning. 

Because I have an ostomy, I have to get up around 4am to empty it, and then I go right back to sleep.  Would getting up once during the night affect the results at all?  I usually go to sleep around 12:30am, after I get done doing homework and wake up at 8am every morning. 

Also, are those fertility tests I saw at the pharmacy that are made by First Response accurate?  Just wondering before I spend the money on them. 

Jessie

#2 of 7 Old 04-08-2011, 02:32 PM
JMJ

That shouldn't be a problem for most people.

#3 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

If you go back to sleep for 4 straight hours, that should be enough to get you back to baseline. You could also just take your temp at 4 AM, too. I think trying it out will really be the best indicator of if it will work for you.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#4 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 AM
JMJ

If you get 3.5 hours of sleep before you get up and 4 hours after, I think you'd get more accurate results at 8.

#5 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 11:59 AM

The other ladies answered your BBT question.  I wanted to answer you question about the First Response Fertility Test.  First of all, if you want to try it DO NOT get that 2pk for $20!  Just a month ago I bought a FRER 2pk at Walgreens and it came with a FREE fertility test in there. so it was basically half the price for one fertility test and two PG tests!

I haven't used it yet, but I'm on CD1 now, so I will take it in 2 days (per the instructions).  JSYK, I have no reason to believe that there is anything wrong with my egg production/quality and am only taking it because it came free with the PG tests I was after, lol.

I found this review while searching online and it is very informative...written by a woman with PCOS.  HTH!!

http://prayingforalittleone.blogspot.com/2010/04/product-review-first-response-fertility.html

Laura (26)intactlact.gif DH (39)jammin.gifdrum.gif, DS (Jan 2008)
belly.gif#2 due in Dec 2012   brokenheart.gif 2/12 brokenheart.gif 8/11

#6 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I get woken up every couple of hours throughout the night by ds and I still get clear enough temps, so I would say you're fine.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 7 Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help!  I started learning how to take my basal temperature and so far, the temp has been on track according to the Taking Charge of your Fertility book I got out of the library.  Next month, I plan on buying this book from Amazon.com, because it is so useful!

Jessie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page