Permanent Birth Control - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're due any day now with our third and probably final (biological) child. DH and I have discussed in detail birth control options. I'm not comfortable with BCP, condoms are out (allergy and sensitivity issues), spermicide isn't trusted along with ecological breastfeeding and charting (by DH). He wants to do something permanent, but doesn't want to be the one to get "cut". Honestly, I'm not arguing it because I've read about a possible increase in testosterone in men who have had vasectomies and DH has prostate cancer in his family so I would gladly take the bullet so to speak...

Here's the issue though: we're planning a VBA2C. Obviously if I were to plan a RCS, we'd just get my tubes tied at the same time. I don't want a RCS. I want my VBA2C. DH is on board for the VBA2C, but we're just completely confused about where to go after that as far as BC. I've looked into Essure and considered when/how to go about getting my tubes tied. I will be discussing it with my OB tomorrow, but wanted to get some opinions about the two here. Has anyone had either, not when having a baby? Is a tubal done under general anesthesia? How is the recovery from both procedures? What about long-term side effects? Any suggestions? Any info to counter the above mentioned issue with vasectomy so I could possibly talk him into it?

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 PM

What about an IUD? 

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 AM

I'm in the same situation (though not due until July) and really want a permanent solution. We KNOW we don't want more children, and we just don't want to have to worry about it any more.

And IUD would be another temporary solution, from my point of view, but it would get me through the first few years with the new baby. I'd rather do something permanent with a few months of the birth though.

I'm planning to find out what my insurance covers and go from there. Essure is at the top of my list currently, but it hasn't been around all that long. It would be nice to hear from anybody with first hand experience with Essure. smile.gif

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

User Tag List