Preparing to TTC: WWYD? (x-posted in I'm Pregnant) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My SIL is planning to start TTC their first in around a year from now joy.gif. This got me thinking: if you knew you were going to start TTC in a year, what would you do to prepare? She's already reading up about birth, parenting etc, but I was thinking more about physical preparation, psychological, practical/logistical preparation, etc. I have some ideas of my own (eliminating plastics, going organic, etc), but what would you include on a list of ways to get your body ready to conceive, develop and carry a healthy beautiful baby?

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-15-2011, 05:59 PM

I started preparing TTC DD when DS was born (we started TTC when he was 18 mo). For that 1.5 years (other than parenting, obviously) I focused on .. appropriate weight for TTC ( I was slightly underweight). Getting physically healthy (I found out I was gluten intolerant, switched to GF & changed my life!). I kept/stored clothes of DS' and certain things like his infant carseat and swing to use in the future. I actually got evaluated by a mental health professional, because of my tendency to need  perfection, and it causes anxiety... and since of course, perfection doesn't exist and REALLY didn't exist with a child, I knew it would be in the far distance with 2 children. I did some counseling working through my perfectionist issues, and I will say I think that really really prepared me to have 2 children, and I am really enjoying DD's infancy in a laid-back manner. I did a lot of reading on what to expect for birth and pregnancy, as well as newborn care (hey - you forget this stuff!). I started babysitting my niece on Saturdays, and accustomed myself to taking care of 2 children who really needed me every second. I started exercising regularly and kept to that throughout the pregnancy and still doing it now. I switched to organic. I stocked on wipes & diapers (before I really switched to NP, and so this ended up being silly... I cloth diaper & now use those stocked disposable diapers for baby shower gifts! haha). I think probably most importantly.... I weaned from coffee. I was at like 7-8 cups (servings) a day at one point, and finally weaned down to a cup of half caff by the time we were TTC. I did a lot of talking on boards like this (although I didn't know about MDC at the time, I was on another one) to try to gain perspective about life as a pregnant woman, and life as a parent. I also did a lot of de-cluttering.... okay, that's all I can think of for now! Wish I had had the sense to use protection so I could have prepared this way with DS ROTFLMAO.gif... But seriously, the preparation has been well worth it! DD is 15 weeks and the transition has been smooth and wonderful. 

Best wishes to your SIL joy.gif

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#3 of 4 Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 PM

Get all the traveling she wants to do out of her system for a while. Yes you can travel w a baby... but it's not the same!

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#4 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM

notes.gif subbing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page