Nursing & pregnancy loss- what to do better next time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am nursing DD (almost 3 years old) and recently lost a 9 week pregnancy. I had been taking vitex and stopped after ovulation. 

Planning on trying again. again with vitex

What can i do to prevent another MC? i think i will continue vitex through 1st trimester. Should i being doing progesterone cream? something else? other herbs? 

This loss was so sad for us, and I have some feelings of wondering if it is related to nursing. thoughts? sources to share?

homescholing traveling mama of two ('08 and '12) expecting May 2015!
#2 of 5 Old 06-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I am so sorry for your loss.  hug2.gif  But I hope I can reassure you that it has nothing to do with nursing.  There are several experts and studies cited in Adventures in Tandem Nursing that talking about the lack of connection between continued nursing and miscarriage/pre-term labor.  I don't have time to get it out right now, but if you can get your hands on a copy it could help ease your fears as well as point in the direction of further reading.  Good luck on your TTC journey.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 5 Old 06-16-2011, 02:18 AM

Oh honey, no. Nursing did not cause your miscarriage. I promise. The release of oxytocin from nursing and its effects on your uterus would be so negligble on an early pregnancy. You'd release far more just by making love which is also not going to cause a miscarriage.

*hugs* Be gentle with yourself.

~Rose

#4 of 5 Old 06-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

There are many things that can cause a m/c and the most common on chromosomal abnormalities- something that cannot at all be prevented.  Most m/c have an unknown cause, and unfortunately, first trimester losses are very common.  It was NOT your fault.

Do you chart your cycles?  Are you taking vitex b/c of a hormonal issue you are already aware of- such as low progesterone?

I posted this info from Adventures in Tandem Nursing in a different thread that I just tracked down...

It's too much information for me to summarize even, but I will say that the overall message seems to be there is not enough research to conclude definitively one way or the other, but the overwhelming anecdotal evidence does NOT show breastfeeding to cause miscarriage or preterm labor.  The book is quick to say that it is a decision that every mother and care giver must weigh "in light of indirect information."  Experts in the field of miscarriage and preterm labor are quoted in the book saying that there aren't any data suggesting a link between breastfeeding and pregnancy loss nor is there any evidence that implicates breastfeeding in increasing the risks of preterm labor in healthy pregnancies.  In another part the book says a good rule of thumb might be if you are told that sex is unsafe during your particular pregnancy then you might interpret this to mean that you should discontinue breastfeeding as well. 

I hope that helps!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#5 of 5 Old 06-28-2011, 03:33 AM

Nursing did not cause your miscarriage. It's too much information for me to summarize even, but I will say that the overall message seems to be there is not enough research to conclude definitively one way or the other, but the overwhelming anecdotal evidence does NOT show breastfeeding to cause miscarriage or preterm labor. I would like to see more information on breastfeeding through a pregnancy, and tandem breastfeeding, including quotes or personal experiences from women who have both enjoyed it and who found it difficult. It would be helpful to include medical references as to the safety of doing so since we find that so many doctors tell mothers they must wean if they are pregnant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page