Cycle question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So DD is now 20 months old, and I just got my PPAF back in April of this year. It was a very normal period (same flow and length as it was before I got pregnant). Whereas my pre-pregnancy cycles were 31 days long, this time around my cycle from April to May was 41 days long. So i've had two periods (both the same flow, and menses length), and now I'm on cycle day 43, and still no AF. Back on May 14th, I noticed a faint bloody tinge to my CM when I wiped once. I still don't know what that was all about. I've taken two PG tests within the past week (thinking maybe that was possibly implantation?) and both were negative. Is it common for cycles to be this way? I'm still nursing, but wondering if I'm going to GET an AF this month? Is it possible I could still be pregnant?  

I was looking around on the internet to see if it's possible I had an anovulatory cycle, and everything I kept reading just referred to anovulatory cycles being more common during pre-menopause, or if you have an eating disorder or severe hormonal imbalance. I don't know, anyone have any helpful knowledge? :)

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
#2 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Anovulatory (and irregular) cycles are also very common when you're nursing. smile.gif I'd place my money on that!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 6 Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

My cycles varied quite a bit when I got AF back pp.  I had some "regular cycles" and then there would be a really long one or a really short one.  Some with regular length LP's and others with very short LP's.  My cycles did not regulate until over a year after they returned.  I would say that this is the most likely explanation of what you're experiencing and it's totally normal.   Spotting here and there and delayed O is also within the realm of normal as your body is regulating and while you're breastfeeding.  Have you considered charting during this time? 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Would it be normal if I simply didn't get a period this month? I still haven't started. :/

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
#5 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and also I will be charting. I was trying to track my ovulation between April and May's cycle, and then after my menses in May, but either I started testing after I actually ovulated, or I simply didn't ovulate.

#6 of 6 Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Delayed O and therefore delayed AF is much more likely than an annovulatory cycle with breakthrough bleeding.  It is likely you are Oing, just quite late.  So, yes it would be within the realm of normal to not get a period in June.

By tracking do you mean with OPK's?  If so keep in mind they do not confirm O and with long irregular cycles it is very likely you will get patches of OPK+'s several times before your body actually succeeds.  Also some women never get positives, some get positives for days on end, and others get positives even after confirmed O.  They are not necessarily the most reliable things.  With this in mind, temping and charting cervical fluid would paint you a much clearer picture of what is happening.  A clear temp shift will confirm O and tell you how long your LP is- all useful information when wanting to predict AF, TTA or TTC.  Plus, temping is a lot cheaper than buying OPK's! 

If temping interests you, I recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility and getting a basal body thermometer.  You could start temping now and just see what you get!  It's totally possible you haven't O'd yet and you might still catch your temp shift this cycle.  If you have questions about getting started, just post!

Also if you are concerned about pregnancy, pick up a couple of dollar store HPT's and test periodically- like every 4-7 days until AF arrives or you get a BFP!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page