So sick of dealing with AF every month! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every month I am incapacitated for 2 days. It's just miserable and I'm sick of it. I don't really know what else to try. I have always had really painful periods but my first few cycles after having DS were amazingly pain-free and I'd love to somehow get back to that!!

I used to take TONS of ibuprofen, tylenol, aleve, etc. and really, nothing helped much (and now I have bad reactions to most pain relievers). I haven't taken anything for the pain since DS was born 2.5 years ago (still nursing & I'm just not comfortable taking meds while nursing even if there was something that would help!) Usually I take lots of hot baths and lay on the couch with a heating pad & writhing in pain. There has GOT to be a better way so my whole life doesn't have to go on hold every month!!

I do use cloth pads (only) and eat well and all that. I cannot see an OBGYN because I have major major issues with exams and stuff so it's just not an option for me. I am very open to trying herbs, homeopathics, etc. as long as they are affordable & likely to be VERY effective. Also, we have been TTC #2 ever since DS was born, so I don't want to do anything that will mess with my already pathetic fertility, or anything that would be unsafe for pregnancy.

Any ideas????? I can't take this any more. I keep telling DH I want a hysterectomy or something. I'm only 28. greensad.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 5 Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 PM

Hmmm, I've just been looking into this (had Mirena taken out a few days ago and have decided I am neither going back to popping ibuprofen like it's candy nor writhing in pain for 3 days) and some of the things I've read that have been effective for people are red raspberry leaf tea, magnesium supplements, vitamin B6, and cramp bark.  You could probably try any of those. I would recommend going to the health and healing forum and searching for menstrual cramps and see what comes up.

Good luck!

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#3 of 5 Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Optivite PMT would be good. However, if you're also planning on TTC, add a folic acid supplement, since there's not enough in the Optivite. It is safe for pregnancy though. It will help with fertility and should help to ease some of your symptoms. Feel better soon!

http://www.amazon.com/Optivite-PMT-vitamin-mineral-supplement/dp/B000MRQCYE

#4 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I haven't had a baby yet, but this used to be my life.

For at least two days a month I was completely unable to do anything and the pain was so atrocious that it would often make me vomit.

I know you say you don't have a lot of time, but what I would recommend is acupuncture, every two weeks, for a month or two.

It saved my life!

My periods became relatively pain-free (still a little pain, but I could function and make the pain go away by taking advil and using a hot water bottle at night). I never thought life could be that way!

See these appointments as a treat. Treat yourself. Believe me, acupuncture does wonders.

#5 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hello - sorry about your uncomfortable period situation :(  I have heard that Maya Abdominal Massage is PERFECT for this. From what I know, periods can be painful because your uterus is not in the right place (and that could affect fertility too).  I have had this done for pelvic prolapse and it's amazing - I could feel my uterus moving as she did it and then my prolapse was better.  It would be worth a shot :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page