Follow up appt for Mirena? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-14-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is this really necessary? If I'm having no issues and can feel the strings it seems like it's a waste of resources just to have the doc check me and tell me everything is fine. (Especially since I have Medicaid and do what I can not to waste the state's money.) I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel the appointment but wanted to see what others have to say.

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I have no direct experience, but from what I've read the first two months are a critical time for placement.  If it is going to fall it out seems that it is most likely to do so during that time.  Maybe that is partly what the follow up appointment is for? 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 5 Old 10-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Did they cut the strings shorter at your placement appointment? If not they will probably do that.

I had mine put in 4.5y ago. Taken out this week.

I remember the 1st appointment. Blood work, prego test.

2nd appointment was placement.

I don't remember a follow-up, but our lives were crazy at that time. 4 kids and moving.
#4 of 5 Old 10-14-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I have no direct experience, but from what I've read the first two months are a critical time for placement.  If it is going to fall it out seems that it is most likely to do so during that time.  Maybe that is partly what the follow up appointment is for? 

That's a good thought. Wouldn't I feel something if it was falling out though? Hmm, I don't actually know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoatds View Post

Did they cut the strings shorter at your placement appointment? If not they will probably do that.
I had mine put in 4.5y ago. Taken out this week.
I remember the 1st appointment. Blood work, prego test.
2nd appointment was placement.
I don't remember a follow-up, but our lives were crazy at that time. 4 kids and moving.

He did cut the strings after it was inserted. Everything feels great, strings and all.

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#5 of 5 Old 10-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen1174 View Post

That's a good thought. Wouldn't I feel something if it was falling out though? Hmm, I don't actually know. 

I'm not sure if you would feel it as it is coming out or just when it does actually come out or at some point you notice the strings are no longer there.  I've heard several IUD pregnancy stories, too, where the woman didn't know that her IUD was misplaced.  So it may make sense to have a follow up after you've been wearing it for a bit to make sure it's in the right place and not going to fall out.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page