31 years old, 11 months breast cancer free, miscarriage in August, TTC and worried about hormones = / - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm hoping this is okay to put this in this forum... but hoping someone maybe in my same boat can help?

This is my second cycle charting. My hubby and I started trying in June of this year and I got pregnant that first cycle. Then I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks in August.  I have very regular periods, typically cycle is 30-31 days. These past 2 cycles after the miscarriage were 29 days long.  We started trying again last month, and no go so far. Here is my chart:

With the breast cancer. I was diagnosed last October, stage 1A. BRCA- and ER/PR+. I had a unilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. No chemo or radiation. I'm not on any medication whatsoever. Haven't been since March. I only take a prenatal vitamin and fish oil, and I just started supplementing with B6 and B12. The only thing I've found odd and don't quite understand is... before the miscarriage I was using OPK's and they would be positive for one morning and one night (or vice versa) and now they're positive for like 3 days in a row (for the past two months anyway). And the past two cycles I've spotted a few days before I got my period, which apparently could be indicative of low progesterone. Wondering if my body is still trying to regulate itself, or maybe this was my issue all along and that's what caused my miscarriage in the first place. 

I had my Oncologist test my hormones in January and my midwife checked them following my miscarriage in August and both of them seem to think everything looks fine. My midwife DID say my progesterone was very low then, but it was right after the miscarriage so she said it wasn't odd for it to be like that then. I have an appointment with my Oncologist next Friday. I just want all my bases covered and to ATTEMPT to be one step ahead instead of trying and trying and tryinggg for a baby, and my body be sabotaging the whole thing. Frown

Anyone have any thoughts, helpful suggestions or insight?

erica (31), hubs (33) TTC our RAINBOW after an early MC in August. 11 month breast cancer survivor!

erica (33) hubs (36)
Ruby Mae , 9/1/12
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35***40

Breast cancer survivor!
#2 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

Hi!  I'm sure you found the answer you were looking for, because I see you are 8 weeks along.  Congrats!!!

Where did you get the info that spotting for a few days before your period could mean low progesterone?  I'd love to read up on that.

I had a miscarriage last month.  I now suspect low progesterone, because I am 33 and was breastfeeding at the time.  I spotted for a few days before my period the month before my conception that led to miscarriage.  That was the first time that had ever happened to me.  I thought I had been pregnant that month but never got a positive HPT.  It never occurred to me that my hormones might be off.

Oddly enough, when I was threatening miscarriage, 8 vials of blood were drawn from me.  But they never checked my progesterone. irked.gif  So I have no lab confirmation that it was/is low.

I have been lightly spotting for about 24 hours now, and it is possible that I could be pregnant again. According to my ovulation symptoms, I am about 12 dpo today.  I purchased some natural progesterone cream at my favorite health food store today.  Would it do my body any harm to use it if I am not pg or if I do not have low progesterone?

Thanks for any help!  I wish you luck with your pregnancy, and congratulations on kicking cancer out!

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

#3 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks!!

I got my info from another mothering.com lady. If you want to look up the thread under my profile, you can read a little there. She told me that spotting before your period points to falling progesterone levels. It made sense to me, and I had always had a suspicion I had that anyway. I started supplementing with an extra 50 mg of vitamin B6 and 150 mg of B12 along with my regular prenatal and fish oils. Within one month, I went from spotting for 4 days before my period, to spotting 1/2 a day, to my BFP the next month!! Amazing to me. I was also on the BCP for almost 10 years straight (I've been off for about 5 years now) and that is also linked to lower levels of B6, so I knew that was my problem.

I asked my then MW about the B6 and progesterone and she had never heard of the two being linked, but I just researched a lot and it is definitely linked. And since B vitmains are water soluble, you pee them out if you have too much anyway. As for the progesterone levels being tested, I'd heard lotssss of ladies on here talking about CD21 testing. So I pushed and pushed and pushed until my MW agreed to do it (heck, what would a bloodtest hurt HER anyway). It ended up the month that we did that bloodwork, I got my BFP anyway. But I continue to take my B6 and B12 faithfully and really think that changed everything for me. Some ladies need more of it, some do the natural progesterone cream (I never did that myself). You can definitely research the NPC on here and find lots of info on it. I would honestly really push your Dr to do the CD21 testing. It's just one little bloodtest. Do you chart? That helped me to learn a lot about my cycle and body temp. I knew when my body temp dropped, my progesterone was dropping and I was going to get my period. 

erica (33) hubs (36)
Ruby Mae , 9/1/12

Breast cancer survivor!
#4 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Actually, I charted faithfully from Oct '05 - Oct '6, when I got my first BFP for my oldest.  My youngest was a happy whoops!  This time, I have followed my body's signals, checked CM, mood, sex drive, etc.  I can tell when I ovulate, but I never thought about temping AFTER ovulation.  I will dust of that bbt thermometer and start doing that.

Also, I have been on prenatals and a great B-complex faithfully since my miscarriage.  Hoping it will do me some good!

BTW, it is my period! :(  Thanks for your help!

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about AF, no fun. Yeah, def dust off your thermometer. It's a painless and easy way to just check yourself. If you look at my chart, you can see my temps started dropping off at CD11 before I started taking the B6 and B12. I would say maybe if you're still spotting, maybe try to ditch the B12 complex and just try to take a B6 and B12 separately (they're really small. About 1/3 the size of an Advil). I only say that because check your B12 complex to see how much extra B6 is actually in it. It's usually not all thatttt much (but it's definitely better than nothing!) but I believe you usually need to take at leastttt and extra 50 mg of the B6 to make a difference (I think many women do up to 200 mg extra if that isn't working gradually increasing until they see an impovement). I personally just started with the smallest dose I could find, and it definitely helped for me. It may not be your issue, but it definitely won't hurt you. I kinda felt like it helped me when I felt muchhhhh better within a week or so of taking the extra B6 and B12. Usually you don't feel a difference or any extra energy in taking it unless you actually have some sort of deficiency. And I took the B12 because it helps with the absorption of the B6 (which is also already in the B complex vitamin... just a bit more of it when it's separate). Hope I helped you some! You aren't breastfeeding anymore, right?

erica (33) hubs (36)
Ruby Mae , 9/1/12

Breast cancer survivor!
#6 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Here is the B-complex I'm taking.

http://www.amazon.com/Twinlab-Stress-B-Complex-Vitamin-Capsules/dp/B0000531CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327799942&sr=8-1

It has 

VITAMIN B6 - 50 mcg (2500%) 
VITAMIN B12 - 250 mcg (4166%)

plus folic acid, vitamin C and more.  That plus what is in my prenatal (basic pink pill) should be enough to start off, right?  I am expecting a new prenatal to be shipped tomorrow... New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal.  I just noticed it only has 5 mg.  Maybe I could get a separate B-6 pills and take all three?  Thanks for your help.  

I'll look up that thread you were talking about and try to make more sense of this.

No on the breastfeeding. I pretty much cut him off when I was threatening miscarriage. He only nursed at night and once in awhile if he hurt himself or something during the day. I did nurse him one night about 2 weeks after the miscarriage, kind of a "one more last time" sort of thing.  He still asks for mommy milk. :( And I am still lactating.  I know this because I try squeezing a little out every once in awhile to see.  Maybe I just need to give it a little more time to dry up before attempting again.  Honestly, I figured it would have already dried up.  At least I don't have problems lactating.. count your blessings, right?

#7 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 AM

Just wanted to say thanks again.  I read through that thread and found her answers very helpful!  And I teared up a little when you showed your BFP!!!  I hope your pregnancy and delivery go smoothly and that you have a healthy LO!

#8 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I think that sounds like a perfect start. I really only know what worked best for me, but you can definitely research more on here and find better answers. As for the breastfeeding thing, I don't know much about it (I'm a first time Mom! love.gif) but if you comment on my other thread (with a similar title) I talked a lot with a lovely name Jaimee on here, and she was most helpful and I think she may be able to help you. Here is the thread, you can just chime in! She would know much better than me how that effects your progesterone levels and all that goodness.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1334669/31-years-old-10-months-breast-cancer-free-miscarriage-in-august-when-the-heck-do-i-ovulate/80#post_16850545

erica (33) hubs (36)
Ruby Mae , 9/1/12

Breast cancer survivor!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page