METFORMIN for PCOS not TTC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

I wanted to know could you be prescribed metformin if you're not ttc??  I more so want it because my weight keeps going up and down. Everytime i'll try and lose weight I will either not lose any or lose a 1lb and gain it back 2 days later.  It has taken me a year to lose 5lbs and that's with eating right.  Will most doctors prescribe Metformin for PCOS?

Oh yeah by the way I have never ever had a natural period, the only time I have a period is when im on BC and even then it's only a drop.  Will metformin help with regulating my cycles?

Im not against pregnancy and would love to have a baby at any time im blessed with it to do so; so if it happens from being on metformin im fine with that and would be so thankful.

#2 of 4 Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 AM

Have you actually seen a doctor (gyno and endocrinology) for PCOS?

Your doctor should have already talked over taking "Met" after your dx. If not then you need to get a new doctor.

Also Metformin isn't a magic weight loss cure... most of the people I know on it did not lose weight and suffered terrible "morning sickness" type all day nausea.

Resistance is futile Matey
#3 of 4 Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You should see a reproductive endocrinologist ... even if you are not ttc. They will test if you are insulin resistant. It's very common with pcos and is different than being diabetic. If you are insulin resistant they will most likely prescribe metformin. I know a lot of people have had negative digestive side effects but it has been a miracle drug for me. It has not gotten me pregnant but I also have lots of other issues with male factor also. It did help with getting a regular period .. something I never ever had without it. 

A reproductive endocrinologist WILL see you just to treat pcos and IMO it should be treated. They will check for other hormone issues, cardiac issues, hypothyroid, etc. These are all issues related to pcos and should be taken seriously. 

Good luck!

mama to three little ladies
#4 of 4 Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM

I went to a regular old endocrinologist and talked to her about how my body ran. I told her about TTC but that was beside the point. (This was also to cover my butt since insurance at the time wouldn't pay for anything fertility related.) She did end up perscribing metformin for me. I didn't have the GI symptoms others have mentioned either. I lost weight and started having more normal periods around this time too but it took time. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page