Mothering Forum banner

Can you have a cesarean, "C-section" while having a iud ???

Tags
fertility
754 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dakotablue 
#1 ·
Hello to all readers,

Im annie and im looking for some answer to my questions.. i been wanting to get pregnant and i was wondering would it be better for me to have a cesarean section or doing real birth? Im hoping it would be easy for me to just do the cesarean section as that i have a bleeding disorder. And really wanting a baby to come out perfect. Also me coming out of the surgery room perfectly fine too... Im still nervous about getting pregnant but ive been wanting to do this my whole life. i think its time to try to have a little one in my life. I know alot of people say that you can get prego on the mirena But ive also heared that there is a risk of losing the baby too. Im just trying to figure whats best for me to do.Im just hopeing that maybe someone could answer this for me.. Thanks for reading

#2 ·
I'm not exactly sure that I understand what you are asking. I wouldn't recommend trying to get pregnant with an IUD. Some people will tell you that you can get pregnant with Mirena because fertilization is possible in many cases with many people on Mirena, but in those cases, Mirena will usually prevent implantation, so you won't generally end up pregnant. If you did, there would be a lot of risks to the baby to be growing in your uterus with an IUD, and removing it while you are pregnant would also be very dangerous.

Your bleeding disorder would be something that you would need to talk to your care provider about in regards to giving birth. Most women can do just fine giving birth vaginally, and this is generally better for the baby as well. The squeeze of contractions help get the baby's lungs ready to breathe, and the fewer drugs involved, the easier it is to get breastfeeding off to a good start. Additionally, a number of hormonal changes happen for both the mother and the baby with a natural birth that assist them with bonding and starting off life outside the womb, and the less that is done to interfere with this, the better it is for both mother and baby. Babies are not damaged by vaginal births. That is how they are designed to be born, though in a very small number of cases, babies can be injured by interventions to force the baby out. However, there are some reasons why certain medications may be helpful, and for a very small percentage of mother-baby pairs, a C-section is absolutely necessary, and if you are concerned that your bleeding disorder might make a C-section safer for you, you would want to discuss that with your care provider.

In our culture, we give C-sections to far more mothers than need them, and pop culture and Hollywood have convinced many people that birth is terrible and that a C-section is the way to go. The truth is that birth is a lot of work, but there are a lot of things that you can do to cope with the discomforts. Many women find unmedicated birth to be very empowering, and there are numerous techniques that you can learn about to naturally relieve pain without medication. Other women find that modern drugs help them to make it through. Recovery after a vaginal birth is much faster than after a C-section. A C-section is really a major abdominal surgery, and it is more difficult than many people realize to be recovering from a major abdominal surgery while trying to take care of a newborn. For starters, you can't pick up anything heavier than the baby for a while. This includes not being able to pick up the car seat or an older child if you are having a second baby. For these reasons and more, elective C-sections have really fallen out of favor in the medical community. I would encourage you that when you do decide to get pregnant, you look into your options and find what you believe to be best for both you and your baby. I found that researching and making decisions about birth options was very empowering for me and helped my confidence in being ready to make all the other decisions that I would need to make throughout my child's life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.