Could chocolate/cocoa cause irregular cycles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies.  Lately I have had irregular cycles- late periods, periods lasting much longer than usual, very close periods, etc.  My entire life I have had extremely regular periods and very predictable cycles, except the past 6 or so months!  I am only 24, have no medical issues, and have even been to a medical doctor (which I usually avoid at all costs!) about this issue.  He checked my thyroid, which came back normal, and said he didnt know what else to tell me because he didnt suspect anything else was up, just a "change" for who knows what reason!  I have been trying to think of what, if anything, has changed, and I did realize that I have been eating a LOT of dark chocolate lately.  I used to eat a lot of ice cream, but switched to chocolate, which even on my worst chocolat eating days, I eat only about half of the amount of sugar as I did when I was eating ice cream.  Yes, still not healthy, but a little better :)  I am working on eliminating sugar, but it has proven extremely difficult for me to do.

Oh I am rambling.  My question, about the chocolate (or its caffiene) interfering with my cycles?  Any thoughts or experiences?  I have no other source of caffiene in my diet if that helps :)

Thank you in advance :)

Just love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Caffeine can definitely affect your fertility, but there isn't much caffeine in chocolate.  I have never heard of chocolate consumption causing irregular cycles.  Sometimes our cycles do change and we don't why.  Have you tried acupuncture?  It can be very helpful for evening out the hormones.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

User Tag List