missed 3+ periods, sore breasts, negative result, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had pretty regular periods for my whole life. Any fluctuations stayed within a few days. Occasionally, maybe once per year  or two, I'll have 6 weeks w/out period, then it adjusts accordingly (I guess kinda like leap year). 

For the first time ever, I've gone without a period for 3 months, going on 4. I took a pg test last month, with morning pee, and it came up negative (fyi - it was given to me by a friend that ordered a bunch of clinical tests at once that have an expiration date about a year from now). Some of the symptoms I've had lately that were out of the ordinary include, stiff joints (a couple months ago) and very tender breasts (currently for the past month). 

I have no discomfort in the area near the ovaries/uterus. I also don't seem to be getting bigger, although I am generally overweight (~30 lbs) so it's possible if I am pg I'm not showing yet. I should also mention that I am 42 with one 6 year old child, no miscarriages, no medications.

Any thoughts why I may not have my period? Could I be pregnant? If not, is missing my period something to worry about much? What should I prepare myself for when going to the doctor in terms of tests/procedures that I should avoid?

Any advice is much appreciated! winky.gif

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#2 of 5 Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I do not have any advice but was wondering if you were pregnant...how along would you be? 3-4 months? A pregnancy test should show a positive then.  I would make an appointment with a ob/gyn. maybe you are having some hormonal shifts. Good Luck!

#3 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I took a pregnancy test about a month ago which turned up negative. I should've gotten my period about 3.5 mo's ago (unfortunately I hadn't kept track since the new year since I hadn't gotten a wall calendar by Feb - I know, I know, silly me!!). Would taking a urine test then give me a different result if I took it now? I have heard of some women that say their urine tests never show a positive result and/or they can't get a positive until after 10 weeks (which I should be by now, I think).

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Take another urine test, then make an appointment with a doctor. Three months is a long time to wondering if you are pregnant!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 5 Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Take another urine test, then make an appointment with a doctor. Three months is a long time to wondering if you are pregnant!

Yes, I agree. Can you make an appointment with a doctor or go to a clinic for a simple blood test?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page