Generic progesterone vs. Prometrium - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

With my last pregnancy, I took Prometrium after having had 2 miscarriages.  I am happy to say that I have a beautiful 19-month old daughter now, in part I believe because of the Prometrium.  It was prescribed as an oral medication but my OB recommended taking it vaginally.

Since then, my last OB has retired and I am seeing someone else. She wrote a script for Prometrium again and said I could take it vaginally if I wanted, but that she didn't think it mattered which way I took it.  So, I fill the prescription and I receive generic progesterone from Teva.  I am nervous not doing exactly what I did before and while I realize that Prometrium IS progesterone, I know that many people have different reactions to generic meds compared to the brand name ones.  

So, my questions:  1)  Has anyone had any experiences (positive or negative) with a generic progesterone?  Is it as effective as Prometrium and does it have any more side effects?  

2)  Can I also take this one vaginally?  It's written as to be taken orally but so was my script for Prometrium and that was OK to take vaginally.  

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have experiences to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

User Tag List