Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
mightymama1976

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Advanced paternal age and child's health

Hi Ladies,

I wanted to ask your opinion and advice. If my husband and I were ttc it would be next year, which means by then I will be 39 and he will be 50. A friend of mine whose husband is much older than her said that she had done some research and it seems that advanced paternal age contributes to autistic spectrum disorders and some other abnormalities in kids almost as much as advanced maternal age. I am concerned and wonder if I should just give up on the idea of having another child (we are not a kind of family who could cope with a special needs child). Any advice or stories (whether encouraging or discouraging...any input will be greatly appreciated).

PS. Neither of us is overweight and are pretty healthy (but from what I understand, ovaries/eggs have their own health which can be independent from one's over all health)
#2 of 7 Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 PM
pokeyac

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm sorry you haven't gotten a response yet. I'm bumping this up for more attention.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
pokeyac is online now Report Post IP  
#3 of 7 Old 06-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Viola P

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I heard that there's a correlation between advanced paternal age and asd but not advanced maternal age. I also read that the rate of asd in boys in the us is 1 in 68. Another thing they think may be causing it is environmental toxins.

Personally if I wanted a kid I wouldn't let that hold me back. These are just probabilities and they're usually small anyway (even if more likely the overall risk is small).
#4 of 7 Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM
chilee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
maybe try the ttc over 40 forum
#5 of 7 Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 PM
chuord

Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Mightymama1976 - I'd be tempted to talk to a fertility clinic, 1 to find out which supps they recommend for both of you to take for anti- oxidizing both eggs and sperm. 2 they can take a sample of your dh spernat and assess it (not specifically for asd) but for general health and DNA disintegration issues.
We are both 40 and had a successful ivf after that bday - I'm not suggesting you go that path... Just we were on supps to keep everything as vital and young as possible and I think it helped (I'm pg with twins at about 1.8% chance). For example for me it was fish oil, vitamin e, megafol, vitamin b, cq10 (I think I'm forgetting a couple) for dh zinc, folic acid, (I added cq10 to his) and things like goji berries and pepitas (yep from the fertility instructions)
Hope this helps! The sperm assessment will really let you know whether he's fertile or not.
#6 of 7 Old 10-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Mirzam

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
My DH was 48 when our youngest was conceived, and 46 when our middle child was born (I was in my late 30s). Both were conceived naturally without any difficulty, and they are physically healthy and neurologically normal. The study you cite about autism and advanced paternal age is a questionable study to say the least. If you want another baby go for it.

t

"The opposite of a lie is not necessarily the truth, but another version of the lie." ~ Cameron Day
#7 of 7 Old Today, 12:34 PM
sierramtngirl

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would respectfully say that if you have fears about a SN child then you should not get pregnant. While the risks are low, they do increase as we age, and as I'm sure you're aware, there are no guarantees in life. I'm like previous posters in that I would not let this hold me back. But, if you have doubts, the only way to ensure you will not have a child with SN is to not have another child.
Moderation

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Cut
Copy
Paste
Undo
Redo

Check Spelling
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Bold
Italic
Underline
Align Left
Align Center
Align Right
Ordered List
Unordered List
Decrease Indent
Increase Indent
Insert Email Link
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
Wrap [CODE] tags around selected text
Wrap [HTML] tags around selected text
Wrap [PHP] tags around selected text
Wrap [MENTION] tags around selected text
Wrap [SPOILER] tags around selected text
Smilies [More]
:x :grin: :wink: :crying: >:D :laugh: :serious: :eek: 0:) :frown: :nerd: :smile: :) :thumb :love
Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
Thread Management
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!