Anyone else ALMOST ready to TTC? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 122 Old 03-14-2005, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DH and I stressed over dd's conception time. I had been going through nursing school, and we were renting and really wanted a place of our own. It is such a personal decision, but for me, I wanted to be done with school before I had a baby, I found out on graduation day that I was pg! We also bought property and were starting to have our house built, we moved in when I was 7 months pg. It worked out pretty well for the first, now if I could just figure out the next one...

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 122 Old 03-14-2005, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PikkuMyy: there's a grad student tribe in "Finding Your Tribe". Might be worth checking out.

Dh and I decided that if we wait until I'm finished with my PhD, we might never have kids! If we conceive quickly, we will likely be renting a one-bedroom apartment (keeping my fingers crossed for two, but not counting on it!) for the pregnancy and first year of the child's life. Oh, and did I mention that dh is taking a 50% paycut next year so he can do a clerkship and that it looks like I might get no funding next year, so I'll be taking an almost 100% pay cut?

My point is...no time and every time is good to have a little one. Because we probably want to have more than one or two kids, though, and because we're READY, we want to start trying now. We both just feel confident that, with the help and support of our families and each other, we will make it work. I know plenty of grad students who have kids, some of them single parents.
#93 of 122 Old 03-15-2005, 06:01 PM

I agree that there is no perfect time to ttc. However, there are times that are better then others. I had my first just before becoming ABD (yes I am also trying to finish a PhD - I need to check out that grad student tribe!), and want to ttc#2 in the next two months.

I am trying to finish chapter three - finish this semester of teaching - and get my hormones balanced first. I thought we would be ready sooner, but my DS has needed a lot of my energy and I wanted to give him some more time of being an only child.

All that said - I am obsessed with planning my next conception (DS was unplanned) and excited to start trying again soon!
#94 of 122 Old 03-15-2005, 07:58 PM

I am also finishing up grad school and postponing TTC until this fall. I am going to be teaching this next year and will be trying for an early summer baby this time. I am getting so impatient!

Brooke
Mom to Finley 5/02
#95 of 122 Old 03-16-2005, 01:45 AM

My DH and I would like to be able to start TTC first baby in September.
I can sort of relate to PikkuMyy in that I still have two years of school left before I get my Bachelors degree. I will be taking my whole program online, so we figure if we have a baby next summer, we will have time to adjust a little before I begin my final year.
I will have to work after school, so having the baby before school is done will give me time to breastfeed and not have to do childcare (very scared about cc). I am worried to have a baby before school is done, but there is never a perfect time, right?
I was raised by a single professional mom who taught me that school should be finished before having children. I have a bit of a complex over this. We are both 27, and are ready to start now!
In the mean time, I am so baby crazy. I am learning to knit, so I can make future children sweaters. I am loosing weight, eating way better. I am about to go off BC, and I do buy a few baby related things here and there. I tell my husband the Boppy and adorable clothes on sale are good to have in case of a need for emergency baby shower gifts .
So good to read everyone posts-fun discussion!
~Chelsea~
Mama to furbodies: Boone~*~* Becky~*~* Cooper~*~*

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#96 of 122 Old 03-16-2005, 01:58 AM

Lioneyes: I know what you mean. I've had a lot of people tell me just to finish the PhD before we start ttc...but we're 28, we've been married 3.5 years and together 6.5. It's not like we're ancient, but we're READY. I also figure that, as hard as it will be to finish my degree with a babe, it would be so much harder, say, my first year as an assistant professor. School, at least, is a little flexible. I also think there are some issues if you think you might want to have 3 or 4. We have a few friends who waited until their mid/late 30s for their first, b/c of career concerns--and now and again I hear a little wistfulness, b/c they feel like having more than 2, if they wanted to, is going to be very difficult/impossible.

Finally, I am totally baby crazy too! Now that we're getting close to ttc, I'm completely focused on it (to the detriment of my work!)--spending WAY too much time on MDC, researching birth centers, vaxes, etc. I think if I brought any baby stuff home, I would scare the pants off of dh! Although I like your baby shower idea...hmmmm...
#97 of 122 Old 03-16-2005, 11:40 AM

Just wanted to share that after putting it off several times, DH and I are finally TTC #2! I agree with the previous posters that waiting for the perfect time will keep you waiting for ever, but also that there are better and worse times to TTC. Good luck everyone!
#98 of 122 Old 03-16-2005, 03:55 PM

NYCVeg~
You have some very valid points about not waiting to long. Although many people say 'wit, you have plenty of time for babies', it starts to become more difficult to have them, and a bigger risk.
:LOL about your repsonse to my baby shower idea -I am lucky-my DH wants me to get pregnant almost more than I do! We are both so ready! Good luck on TTC soon. ~Chelsea~

DH Andy since 9~5~04

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#99 of 122 Old 03-21-2005, 01:07 AM

OK -- this might sound completely inappropriate for MDC, but I'm going to start trying because of a drug. . . I've been soooooooo scared to get pregnant again -- I was sick for over 4 months last time, lost over 12 pounds (I was 125 to begin with), vomited 8+ times a day, Reglan did nothing to help, etc. -- And I had just about had it with comments like, "no 2 pregnancies are the same", "well, you might not be sick next time" -- I'm sorry, but if a person has not experienced nausea and vomiting for 4 months, she just can't understand the fear of going through it again -- sorry for the rant -- Anyway, we want more children so badly and I finally talked to a friend who is a OBGYN NP and she couldn't believe that my docs hadn't tried Zofran -- now, please understand that I'm about as al'natural as my DH will allow (hee hee) and I don't even take an aspirin unless I absolutely have no other choice to remain sane...but I am sooooooooo excited that if I suffer hyperemesis again there are other alternatives. I've also found a bunch of hyperemsis support boards AND MDC (which I didn't find until a few months ago) -- Soooooooooo, we're taking the plunge and TTC starting this Tuesday!! Yay! :LOL I've changed docs and will now see midwives -- last time I was made to feel (by a very cold awful doc) that my feeling sick was something I should just deal with . . . I feel very confident that now that I've found a better support system and am much better educated about hyperemsis. So, Tuesday night it's party-time!!!
Beth with Sylvie 9.21.03

PS -- Ladies, please take your folic acid!
#100 of 122 Old 03-23-2005, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am ALMOST ready to ttc! I am still kind of shocked at my own decision-I had decided not to have any more bio kids because of situations surrounding Olivia's birth and babyhood. But I am at peace with all that now and am actually really thrilled at the idea of doing it again. I have SAD so we want to have the baby be due in spring or summer so we are going to start ttc in June or July. I have PCOS so I don't know if I'll be lucky enough to conceive again but I am on Metformin now and I seem to be having regular cycles (knock on wood!). I am going to take the next 3-4 months to focus on getting healthy. I am taking a great multivitamin/mineral system plus high doses of fish oils (to help stabilize moods - I have bipolar - I am also on Wellbutrin). I am on Weight Watchers and trying to lose 20 lbs by then. I am at 162 lbs now and I would like to be at 140 lbs or less before I get pregnant.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#101 of 122 Old 03-26-2005, 11:50 PM

hi! just saw this thread and I am SO needing to be here!
It's funny because even a few weeks ago, I was thinking dd was so much work, I would never be ready for another baby. Then bam, it hit me. I have major baby lust. Probably doesn't help that I'm around beautiful pregnant ladies all the time at work and that my two good friends are just having their second babies and keep telling me how much "easier" everything is this time around. I always joke with my friend, I know its time to have a baby when I see myself oohing over clothes in the window at Motherhood, rather than Ann Taylor!

I really want to TTC! We're not ready for a variety of reasons plus I have an IUD, which really limits the possibility of surprises (darn). Planning a second is kind of tricky..anyone else think so? A 3 yr gap seems great but then I feel like I'll be majorly bummed if we wait to start trying until Dec 05 to get that spacing and then it takes us 1-2 yrs to conceive and then we have kids 4-5 yrs apart! But I'm not really ready to have them closer, so what to do!
Anyone feel like "planning" is kind of a PITA? Okay, as a midwife, I realize that sounds ridiculous! But, DD was a total surprise, we were so not ready, I was in grad school, DH was unemployed, but there she was and we had to deal. And of course everything worked out beautifully and we have somehow gone from that situation to having our dream jobs and our daughter. The whole "planning" of it all really stresses me out - all the what ifs and when is a good time, etc etc. If only a baby would just find me suddenly, I would be thrilled.

Anyhoo, we're thinking about getting my IUD out in the fall, then not "trying" for a few months and get serious after a couple of months if things don't happen quickly. Next time around, I'm nixing the IUD/contraception as I still haven't gotten PPAF at 17 months and my daughter is a nursing fiend.

Good to find you ladies.
#102 of 122 Old 03-27-2005, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittergal
Anyone feel like "planning" is kind of a PITA?
Oh boy do I!!

I actually can't believe I'm going to be joining you on this thread. My circumstances: 3 kids from former marriage. My dh and I had not yet completely decided on whether to have any of our own (he had none) when we had a bit of a surprise baby . And he is thrilled to be a parent now. For quite awhile he said he was content with the "1" (well for him ) but lately his family has been having lots of health issues (his mom is an only,as is my dh, me, and my father, and my MIL's mom had a stroke, my FIL had quad heart bypass, and while he was in the hospital, my MIL's dad got admitted to the hospital for the flu 4 hours away).

So he's come to see why people might see the value in having more than 1 child. Anyway, out of the blue the other night he asked me what the "timings" of another child would be. When we should try, etc. At 36, I don't really want to put it off too much longer.

At any rate, my first child was planned, my 2nd and 3rd (you'd think i'd learn!) were breastfeeding as contraception babies, and as I said, the last one was a surprise too (bcp and nexium apparently don't really mix well). And I'm almost in a panic about the idea of "planning" to get pregnant. We don't have enough money, we don't have enough room, we don't have .... x, y and z. You know how that is. However, my dh has made it VERY clear he'd be thrilled if we had an accident.

At any rate, we're discussing TTC after any AF that occurs in October.

Sorry for the book. Guess I kinda needed to get this out. Due to the fact I already have 4 kids, no one is exactly going to jump for joy for us so no one near me to bounce this off of.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
#103 of 122 Old 03-28-2005, 07:59 PM

Oh, I love this thread. I am so ready to TTC #2, my DH (he's 38, oh, and I"m 36 by the way), but he just got into Grad School for Fall 2005 (Masters in Education if anyone is really curious), so he's soon to be busy. Me, on the other hand, I'll be taking care of DS, who is 22 months old.

So, I'm thinking perfect time to be pregnant (I won't be working!), however DH is not (he's OK in a few months, but I've been ready for a while). Like many other women on this thread, I don't want to start trying and ahve it take a year.... I'm not getting any younger!

I am SOOO anxious to start trying....

Will be reading here often.
Cheers,
#104 of 122 Old 03-28-2005, 08:26 PM

I posted a couple months back saying we would start in July. So now that it is almost April I can say 3 more months till TTC!!!!! I am so freaking excited but totally holding out until then because I really want a spring (or summer if need be) baby. This morning my nursling asked to nurse and I said in a few minutes as I was just waking up. He said Mommy I won't drink it all I will save some for the new baby. :LOL He knows that soon there will be a new addition.
#105 of 122 Old 03-29-2005, 11:17 PM

well, something slightly amusing happened to me a few days ago. i think right after i posted my earlier thread, lol. so the past few weeks i've had major baby lust and about a month ago, my milk supply mysteriously dropped. all weekend i was having these weird cervical twangs and just felt out of it. i haven't had ppaf yet, so i've been thinking, maybe she is going to appear. then sun night i become majorly nauseas and my first thought is, holy crap, what if i'm pregnant? i have an iud, which combined with no ppaf and a sparse sex life, is unlikely. nevertheless, i start FREAKING out and trying to decide if i could be one of those woman who gets pregnant with an iud. about 3 hrs later, i'm puking up a storm and it turns out i have a stomach bug all the kids have had. thank goodness!

so i guess i'm not totally ready to ttc based on my major panic attack
just having to be alert with dd all day, with nausea and fatigue,was enough to bring back those all too familiar feelings of the first trimester. that should hold me off for a few more months!
#106 of 122 Old 03-31-2005, 07:06 PM

Well, I am still waiting for so that I can start charting. It has slowed down quite a bit in here....did everyone start TTC or something? :LOL

Waiting just sucks.....waiting for AF....waiting to TTC....waiting for results....wait....wait....wait...
I guess I should be out there enjoying my last baby free months! WoooHoooo
Ok but really, I am so excited to be ready!
Good luck to you all with your waits.

#107 of 122 Old 04-08-2005, 06:49 PM

:

I'll join! We just bought our first home and I graduated from college last month. DH will be graduating in June and starting grad school a year from September.

We just decided to TTC in October and I am SO excited. I've been charting for the last two months (AF showed on dd's 1st birthday) and since she was a total suprise I'm looking forward to actually "trying" to conceive! :LOL
#108 of 122 Old 04-19-2005, 01:59 PM

We're nearly there! I am going back and forth between excited and terrified. :LOL We "can" get pregnant from here on in, but my original start date was July 2005 and we will probably not start till June. Some days it's all I can handle with just DS. I am also having conflicted emotions about a new stranger in our lives...
#109 of 122 Old 04-19-2005, 11:29 PM

DH and I are planning to start trying in June, and I'm so excited, too! I've been ready for a baby for, oh, only about the past 2 years! It took DH some time to feel completely ready, though, and I didn't want to pressure him. In the meantime, I've been reading practically every pregnancy and baby-related book I can get my hands on. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I'll eventually be joining one of your Due Date Clubs!
#110 of 122 Old 04-20-2005, 01:48 PM

Hi LADIES!!!!!!

I just had to share our great news. As I mentioned before, my dear husband is working on his PhD in English and languages. I work in news radio and make about 27K per year. He is a student and was just breaking even with his scholarship funding. NOT in a position to have babies and stay home with them. We were WAITING to hear news on this HUGE scholarship that he had applied for.

HE GOT IT! :

He get's between 35 and 40k per year for the next three years. This award also greatly increases his job prospects at a university afterwards. We're cruising baby!

He's got three more years left, and then we want to move back to British Columbia to raise our little ones with him working at a school of some sort..... our city is baby friendly..... but I wanted out toddlers to be in BC. So, the timing is perfect.

DH said, "I guess it's all up to me now" as far as babies go. We use condoms, and I chart. So, I'll still warn him about the danger times, but, if he doesn't "listen" then, I guess he's ready!

I'm SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE Mothering.

It's helped me make so many plans, and DH has come around to agree with me on pretty much everything, especially crying it out.

Example: We were babysitting four kids for a friend at their house. 1 yearold boy-girl twins, a 2 yearold girl and a four year old boy. I had talked for years about co-sleeping and crying it out, etc. Dh was cribbed and CIO all the time, and had adopted the "attitude", can't bring them to bed with you, they manipulate you, etc.... I had always said, "wait until you hear your baby crying for you in the night, I can't picture you ignoring it." Which was met with some bluster.

Welllllll, we were up with the 2 and 4 yearold. The 1 yearolds were asleep. The 1 yearold girl woke up, crying. I went to her, picked her up, comforted her, changed her, got her nose cleaned out (she was stuffed up) and put her back to bed after about 20 minutes. She dozed, and I started reading a book to the 2 yearold. The 1 yearold starts crying again, and I decide to a) finish the very short story so as not to upset the 2 yearold and b) see what Dh did. He came into the room, dead serious, and said "how can you LISTEN TO THAT?!" and went to her and rescued her from the dark, singing to her and dancing until I could hold the babe till mommy and daddy came home. I'm so in love with my husband.

Our last hurtle is circumcision.

Sorry for the book!!!!!

I'm so excited!

Trin.
#111 of 122 Old 04-20-2005, 03:46 PM

Trinitty:
#112 of 122 Old 04-20-2005, 04:22 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH. We're over the moon. I'll try to send out the good fortune so others can catch some too.
#113 of 122 Old 04-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Wow, Trinitty, that's awesome! There much be some good fortune going around here...

We just found out that my parter has a Fulbright for next year, which also impacts on our TTC plans... We're going to put the 'Babies in Bangkok' plan into effect in December! I'm totally psyched!

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#114 of 122 Old 04-22-2005, 01:14 AM

Way to go!!!

It's amazing how your life can change with one letter, one email, one phone call, eh?

I'm so excited. I was always excited about children, but, now I can actually start planning on it happening really soon. It doesn't feel real yet. It has such an effect on our lives.

Well, I shouldn't get ahead of myself. Let's hope we all have baby dust when we want it!

Congratulations on your great news!

Trin.
#115 of 122 Old 04-22-2005, 12:21 PM

Hey again Mommas.

I wanted to post this on the ALMOST thread since I'm not trying yet.

I'm wondering what you would do in this situation.

I have a thyroglossal duct cyst. It's a small harmless lump on the front of my throat, almost where one would see an Adams Apple on a guy. It's cause: When we are in utero, our thyroid gland drops into our neck cavity, leaving behind it a self-made tunnel. Usually this disappears as we age. Mine did not, and about a year ago, some fluid got into it and caused this small swell.

Now, it goes up and down, some days it's hardly noticable, others it's bigger and I wear a scarf. I don't like it, and I would want it gone, ultimately.

To get rid of it one needs to have surgery. General anesthetic, takes about 40 minutes, and they make two incisions in your neck to remove the entire "tunnel".

I really really really hate hospitals and don't like the idea of surgery anywhere, much less on my neck where there are lots of delicate systems, including my voicebox which I depend on for my job. (I'm in radio). Anesthetic really bothers me, I'm out of commission for about a week.

Soooo, I've been putting it off.

Now, I'm really wanting to start planning on trying to concieve soonish, like, in a year or so. I obviously don't want surgery while pregnant. I don't want it for the two years following because I will be breastfeeding and Moming.

Do I just suck it up and get the surgery now and get it over with? Do I wait and see if it just goes away? (it happens, but, not often) or do I wait and have surgery after (hopefully) having a baby?

What would you do?
#116 of 122 Old 04-22-2005, 06:06 PM

Hi girls!

So happy to have found you. Been married to dh over four years and never felt the time was right. About a year and a half into our marriage dh was laid off and ended up out of work for sixteen months. We are still recovering financially. And all that time I had to work and was not able to finish school like we planned. We are finally set up in our lives so that I can go back to school in the fall to finally get my bachelors. It will have to be part time though and I'll still have to work full time since we can't live off of dh income alone. But on an emotional level we have been ready for parenthood a LONG time. We are seriously talking about TTC in the near future which I'm totally loving since we're not getting any younger (we're both 28). But, what about school?? Am I ever going to get my degree? I see that some of you ladies already are juggling school or grad school and parenting. Any advice?

Thanks so much.
#117 of 122 Old 04-23-2005, 05:14 PM

HI,
I know tons of women who have finished school while they were pregnant and or had a child! I also know a woman who had a baby and a week later went and did finals! My brain would not have been up to that but good on her
I had a grip about thinking about TTC! I was off the pill and TTC for almost a year with my DS,( I'm not saying he wasn't worth it ) BUT each month my periods were worse and worse It was like double torture, each month I wasn't pregnant I also had pain and heavy bleeding. Anyone else gone through that? I am almost ready to TTC but really dread going through that agian,

Also, my DH and I put so much pressure on ourselfs once we started to TTC, does anyone have any advice on how to just be cool and go with the flow once you start to TTC?

Sorry to be negative but I wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat
#118 of 122 Old 04-24-2005, 12:57 PM

Trinnity-
I hate hospitals and "going under" too, but if you are going to have to have this surgery at some point, now's probably when I would do it. (I went under and had my wisdom teeth all removed recently mainly to get it over with so that someday (hopefully fairly soon!) when DH and I start TTC I won't have to worry about complications or having to take care of someone else when I just really want to be taken care of myself!)
As far as them messing things up... well, it could happen. But you know, the horror stories are pretty rare, I'd guess. But, you'd have to make that decision yourself. Bottom line if it were me: if I decided yes to the surgery I'd be calling my doctor today, otherwise, I'd just live with it (probably the rest of my life).
Good luck with your decision and with TTC (someday!)
Kate

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#119 of 122 Old 04-27-2005, 03:49 PM

Hi Runner,

Thanks for that. I know that it's the most sensible thing to do.... I just need to hear it from others I guess.

Thanks!

Trin.
#120 of 122 Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 PM

Yep, I would do it now. Look at it this way... what if it gets worse while your pregnant and something has to be done? I would take care of it now or at least get a doctor's opinion on what to do.

Congratulations on being ready!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page