Anyone else ALMOST ready to TTC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 122 Old 10-08-2004, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all future moms-to-be! My husband and I plan to start TTC in January, and the wait is about to kill me! Every day I want to order a new book on pregnancy or child-rearing! We don't even know if we'll be able to get pregnant yet, for Pete's sake!

Anyone else here in the same boat with me?

While I am waiting, I am trying to prepare - making my own natural cleaners for my home, eating more and more organic every day, etc.

What are all of you doing to ready your bodies and homes? Reading anything good?
#2 of 122 Old 10-10-2004, 06:50 PM

I'm in Nashville and I can totally relate! What I'm doing: I'm excercising, eating Total cereal for the extra vitamins, going to start Folic Acid, and have read all the Sears' books, Thinking woman's guide, and Ina Mae's book, plus many, many others. My favorite book hands down though is Birthing from Within. It moved me and empowered me. When I joined MDC I started a file of research articles and other good info from the Momma's here and that has been invaluable. When I get pregnant I'm going to copy it and hand it out to my family and friends to reference if they have any questions about my decisions

It is very exciting. For me I'm trying to focus on making my body a healthy and happy place to be. I'm also trying to think about the now and appreciating it instead of so much thinking about the future but it is really hard...sigh.

Happy TTC and good luck!!!
Happy Fall Y'all,

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#3 of 122 Old 10-10-2004, 11:37 PM

Hi! I am in the same boat as you. We've been talking about TTC for months now but we are going to actively try starting next month. I am soooo ready, the wait is killing me too.

To answer your question, I read Brewer, Sarah. Planning A Baby? A Complete Guide to Pre-Conceptual Care. Optima, 1995 just recently . I couldn't get it in the U.S. but it was pretty good about how to get ready (eating natural organic foods, etc). If you are interested in it and can't find it then PM me.

To get myself ready, I lost about 10 pounds (i'm not overweight) just by watching what I eat, we don't eat out much anymore, I cut out desserts, and I am eating more whole grains. I am a flexitarian so I have been eating more beans and tofu and milk. Re: cleaning products, I pretty much just use baking soda now. I can buy it in bulk at the co-op.

Also, have you started with your prenatal vitamin? That's super important. I take the target brand because it was so much cheaper than the others. I tried the Rainbow Lite but I couldn't stand the ginger smell.

Good luck, it's good to know there's someone else around here just like me!
#4 of 122 Old 10-11-2004, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like all three of us are preparing in much the same way. I am taking a prenatal, Blondekids - Rainbow, which smells good to me, but I wish they would cut back on the vitamin A! I found another one at Wild Oats that doesn't add Vit A, but there was something else I didn't like about it, now I can't remember what. I guess I don't have to worry quite so much about that until closer to January, but then, I think I will look around. I am def. going to look into the Brewer book! Thanks for the title!
#5 of 122 Old 10-11-2004, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I just ordered Sara Brewer's _Planning Your Baby_. It looks like it will be perfect for us - we haven't found much information out there that seems geared toward people who are concerned about organic issues, etc. For anyone lurking, I had to get it on Half.com - Amazon does not seem to carry it. Oops, just checked ABE, and they have it even cheaper!
#6 of 122 Old 10-13-2004, 08:27 PM

I found a group. We are up in the air about starting we may start as soon as Nov or as late as April. The biggest thing is insurance. We have to decide if we want to wait for the rider to kick in or wing it without it (the MW in town charges $2300). I have been buying diapers though. I've been stocking up on Mothereases and other types. I have also been exercising and taking prenatals.
#7 of 122 Old 10-13-2004, 09:51 PM

Ack, Amy I could have sent it to you, but glad you found a copy. Splendid I've gotten some diapers too. It funny, I went on some websites (diaperpin and here) to research how feasible it was to cloth diaper (i.e. am i really crazy for thinking of doing this?) and now I am using cloth pads for myself!
#8 of 122 Old 10-16-2004, 01:11 PM

Yup, were's starting in January too. I'm trying to lose some weight (not overweight but above where I feel best), taking vitamins, and reading a lot.
#9 of 122 Old 10-18-2004, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello-

I'm so suprised and happy to see this thread. We recently decided to TTC #3 in January. I never thought it would be so difficult to decide how many kids to have; I thought we would just "know". We really don't know tho! We are waiting until January because of the school cut off age (we don't want an aug or sept child), because I think my 19 month old needs more time to be the baby and it will give us time to change our minds again.

The only thing holding us back is finances. We live in a very well to do town, in an already affluent part of the country. Compared to the families around us, we don't have much. Compared to the general population we are doing fine. We have a nice (very small) house, two well kept cars, etc. But we do not have money for things like piano lessons, swim classes, pool clubs, vacations, etc. I don't want to ever go into debt, but I don't want to miss this third child forever if we don't just go ahead and do it. kwim?

Anyway, in terms of getting ready, we already have diapers, but they need a lot of sewing to make it through another child. We will keep the same midwives and birth center. I think. If it is not more expensive I could imagine a home birth. I'll wait until actually pg to figure that out! At some point I will night wean my 19 month old, or at least cut her back to 2-3 times a night, so I can get better sleep. But other than that, we are just looking at ways of spending less so that we feel more financially secure.

I'm glad to have found this thread, and know I am not the only goof ball already excited about a child, when not even pg!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#10 of 122 Old 10-18-2004, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

We are trying to get our finances in order, too. I guess they say you are never ready, but it does seem we can find ways to spend less, like you were saying, and be at least more ready.

So, wow, it would not have occurred to me, since I've never had a child, to think about school cutoff ages. Oops. I hope we don't mess up.

This might sound kooky but what we have thought about in terms of ideal conception times (if we even CAN get pregnant) is baby's astrological sign.

I also picked up a book on Attachment Parenting in a used bookstore, and made my way through that quickly. Very interesting!

I am so tempted to BD without protection next month, but I know we need to be smart and wait until January. Moneywise, we will be in so much better shape then. Sigh.
#11 of 122 Old 10-18-2004, 06:47 PM

Oh, I've been going nuts for quite some time now.

My dd is now 4 years old. I always wanted my kids to be close in age, and originaly wanted to ttc after dd was born, almost right away. But circumstances worked against us, and the smart move was to wait.

And wait.

And wait.

FINALLY, we have decided to ttc late November/early December, and I really had to twist dh's arm to go that early. He'd still rather wait until March/April (with a decent reason, I should add). When I explained that I really would rather Nov/Dec, he said, "what's a few more months?" What's a few more months? TOO LONG, that's what "a few more months" is. So I went off bc 2 months ago, and finally, next cycle, we can ttc.

I've been doing goofy prep stuff too. It makes dh laugh. While I "won" the disagreement over when to ttc, he's at least happy that I'm happy, while still maintaining a mild worry that a little later could be a little better :
#12 of 122 Old 10-21-2004, 12:15 AM

I'm not TTC yet but before I do I want to really try for a Concious Conception next time. We have one Oops baby, one NFP goof-up baby, and one condom jumper baby, lol! Our journey to parenthood isn't like we planned it but we wouldn't change a thing

We will have one more when the time feels right. In preparation I want to do a liver cleanse (I have a bad htx of m/s and the liver seems to play an important role in it all) and a general detoxifying fast. I want to start jucing again. I've just gotten back into charting cm, which has been difficult while bf'ing. Anyway, it won't be anytime soon as AF hasn't returned and O isn't anywhere in sight.

Happy TTC y'all!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#13 of 122 Old 10-21-2004, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
We are waiting until January to TTC#2. Dh wants to start now but I am thinking more like January-April.

I am working out on the elliptical, taking Vitex, B-complex, and prenatals, and researching homebirth midwives. I am also getting a job so we can save for aforementioned midwife.

We also want to have a conscious, timed, planned baby this time. We want to know when we make him/her as we have always been a little sad that we don't know when ds was made.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#14 of 122 Old 10-21-2004, 12:26 PM

Hi Mamas!!

I'm so excited to have found you... I was gonna go hang around the One thread but now I don't need to !

We will be trying for #4 in December. Actually #5 because we have one angel baby. I am starting to get very excited. This will be our last addition so we really want to savor the experience. We have just decided to go for it so we have lots to do in the next month and a half.

I have been loosing weight to prepare and I have lost almost 20 lbs, I am very overweight. I'd like to lose another 15 or so which is very likely for me. I tend to lose about 3 lbs a week on a sensible, balanced and healthy diet. I'm, also starting with a personal trainer in 2 weeks so that will kick up some great weight loss too! I plan to continue preggo friendly excersize through this one with my trainer so my body can stay fit. I really feel like this will help me because I'm still gonna be overweight even if I lose another 20 lbs. I'm a shorty so the littlest bit of weight really makes a difference on me.

I'll be starting folic acid and I'll continue to take Omega 3 complex. I need to look for a prenatal that doesn't make me burp and feel sick... :LOL Iron!

I hope we can keep this thread alive because I think it'll be fun! We'll be able to get to know eachother in a smaller way so that when we join the One thread we'll know eachother better.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#15 of 122 Old 10-21-2004, 01:47 PM

Hi Kirstie.

I'm in the process of losing weight too for ttc. I have about 30lbs to lose before I even think about it. I found my problem is portion control so I am working on that.

I am hoping for an Aug/Sept baby (I want everyone's to have their own special month).

Well I'm off to the gym. If only I could get into jogging some of my probs would be solved.
#16 of 122 Old 10-22-2004, 11:18 AM

We're almost ready to ttc #2! We'd decided after DD was born last November that we wanted to have another as soon as possible, and decided that we'd aim to ttc in January '05. As that gets closer, though, I have mixed feelings. DD doesn't sleep well, and I'm dealing with some health issues of my own right now, so sometimes I feel it would be too hard to be pg again now. But most of the time, I'm very excited and can't wait to have another baby! I'm almost 36, so we don't have a lot of time to play with...plus, I'd like to convince DP that we should have *3* kids!
#17 of 122 Old 10-23-2004, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so happy to see so so many people going through the same preparations we are! It's so nice to have some camaraderie in this hurry-up-and-wait phase!

I must confess, though.

We almost cheated this month and went for it. I haven't taken my folic EVERY day for three months, but very close, and I have been taking prenatals every day for the last month. Right now, ttc is not the financially smart thing for us to do. We are in aggressive debt-reduction mode, and if we can just hold out until January, we will be in good shape. We have to make it! Plus, my January cycle should produce a Libra, which I think would fit into our household really well. Not that we'll get pregnant the first month, of course.

Anyway, next month is going to be hard. I'm pretty sure I ovulated this month. Next month will be second month of charting, so I should have a really good idea of my fertile phase, and it's going to be so hard to say no!

Splendid, I wanted to share my running discovery. I don't know if it will work for speed runners. I am sloooow, lol. But anyway, the first two or three miles are hard, tough, push-through, sometimes yucky. Then it gets so peaceful and good and zen. I know it sounds crazy, but I was trying to do five miles a few days a week, and every day it took about 25 minutes before I started enjoying myself, but after that first 25 minutes, I was loving every second. It took me three months to work up to three miles, when I very first started running. I quit for a while, but I am getting back into it. By the way, I am the most unathletic person in the world - gym class seemed to me like a form of torture by humiliation. You can do it, girl!

Has anyone else almost cheated and gone for it a few months before you were supposed to? We came really close!
#18 of 122 Old 10-24-2004, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well I definitely understand the excitement all you ladies are experiencing getting ready to try to concieve. I'm not looking anywhere near as you all seem to be.
Our primary concern is finances: my hubby's in the Army and plans to leave in a year possibly two. We don't want to get pregnant, leave the Army, then have some problems with insurance or hubby getting a job or anything else.
I keep thinking about starting to try this spring but instead we might be looking at next spring.
My preparation so far is trying to lose some weight - not really overweight but every move I gain 10-20 pounds. And of course lurking around here and a few other parenting websites.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#19 of 122 Old 10-24-2004, 11:35 AM

We are also getting ready to try for number 2. Up until now it has just been talk, but we figure that it would be nice to pg by Feb. or March. It won't be easy, because this one will take not only planning, but many doctor visits as we will need assistance with conception. I posted that on another thread though. I would like to lose a couple of pounds before we conceive though. I gained 65 last time and really don't want to gain that much again.

Thanks for the Brewer book recommendation. I will have to check that one out.

Yeah for all of us!
#20 of 122 Old 10-24-2004, 12:04 PM

#21 of 122 Old 10-25-2004, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Aw, Jay, that is tough! Wow, I feel for you! Twelve months is a really long time! I hope everything continues to be great with your health, and that once you get the all-clear, you get pregnant your very first cycle! Baby dust to you!
#22 of 122 Old 10-25-2004, 11:14 AM

Wow, what a fun thread!

DH and I are planning (fingers crossed) on starting our TTC journey for the first time in February. I have a lot of weight to loose though - 60 lbs. which I am really struggling with. DH and I want a homebirth and I need to be in great shape to do it - so I have a lot of work ahead of me. I am working out and trying to eat well - but I have a terrible sweet tooth.

I have been charting and we are using FAM till February, and I am trying to get my cycles down to a normal length with vitex.

We haven't done all that much in the way of getting things - my friend sold of some baby clothes and I took the cold weather clothes that I thought were cute, and my Mom sent me some cloth newborn size diapers that came her way. I am a little superstitious about perusing yard sales or ebay to find other things. But the moment I am pregnant, look out...

I am so glad to find this thread with people in the same boat.

Good luck to all of you!

- Sarah B

Sarah photosmile2.gif, 29 - married and entirely love.gif with DH geek.gif. Mama to our one and only amazing Adeline joy.gif 11.05  Forever holding 4 brokenheart.gifs .

#23 of 122 Old 10-25-2004, 11:22 AM

Oh, Jay, that just plain sucks. I am sorry you have to wait so long. On the upside, it will be that much more exciting when you do it! I would use this time to go on tons of dates with dh.

#24 of 122 Old 10-25-2004, 01:00 PM

Good afternoon Mamas and Mamas to be!

Just checking in...

WARNING RANT AHEAD...

I have a question for those of you who already have at least 1 kiddo. It will probably pertain more to those who have more than 1 but everyone's situation is different. So, do you ever have times where you are starting to enjoy the "freedom" of having a child who is a little more independant thus making you wonder if you REALLY should have another even though you can't kick the urge? :LOL I know you're all laughing at me now!

Here's where I am today... I have 3 kids and my youngest will be 3 soon and totally goes on the potty. I am tasting this for the 1st time ever and it's quite cool since I actually have a little time to breathe unlike when they were all small. I had my 1st 2 in dipes at the same time so this is my first experience with a bit of "freedom" if you will. Not that I don't still run like a chicken with my head cut off, but YKWIM? Anyhow, I can't kick the feeling that I want to have 4 kids but there seems to be a nagging inner voice that keeps holding me back from completely committing. Some days I do and some I don't. It's so wierd.

We have decided for sure that December is gonna be the time to do it and right now it's a go... but this whole thing is always on my mind. The general mindset is " oh you're so young just wait a few years and when you're ready do it again" but I totally can't do that. I have no desire to put that much space between kids. I feel like I'm having an inner battle but I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

Maybe it's because my near 3yo ds is still nursing and in our bed and I haven't quite left that whole phase. Maybe I should postpone until he weans? I don't know HELP MEEEEEE I am confusing myself. Being a mom is what I love best and I so want to do it one more time. DH and I have always said a family of 4 kids would be perfect and I fell I would be complete after that but I am BUGGIN' out about the timing issue here.

Thanks for listening ,sorry for the rant but this is the only place I can do this. Especially since we aren't sharing with anyone IRL about our plans to TTC

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#25 of 122 Old 10-25-2004, 07:41 PM

#26 of 122 Old 10-26-2004, 06:05 PM

Hi all...me too!

We have one DD who is 29 months, and we thought we'd want to space our kiddos at least 4 years apart, but we have the bug and want to do it soon. Tenatively, we're saying we'd try in early December...but I have a selfish reason for even waiting that long...read on...

I'm generally a very boring person when it comes to "partying." I don't drink hardly ever, and we are homebodies. However, there is a certain herb that I have just recently been able to partake in since my DD weaned, and I want to enjoy the tiny bit I have left, and give it 30 days to leave my system, before we TTC. It sounds horrible, but it is my one indulgence, and I don't dream of enjoying it while I am pregnant or nursing, so after we start trying, it will likely be many years before I get a chance again. What an awful introduction of myself to this group! I guess at least I'm honest...

Anyway, to answer the person who is excited about her youngest child's current independence, and not QUITE ready to give it up, I hear you. My DD isn't quite there, but we thought we at least had her sleep all settled until recently, when, as you can imagine, she taught us a lesson about taking her good habits for granted. We decided that it would never be the perfect time, and we just want to DO it already, before we lose our nerve.

All of you almost-ready-for-your-first mamas, it's going to be a wonderful ride! Welcome aboard!
#27 of 122 Old 10-26-2004, 10:51 PM

I guess I will join in here as well. We are planning to wait until Jan. or Feb. depending on how my cycles run. We would like an Oct. or Nov. baby so that we can use all of the clothes we already have. I have recently had back to back miscarriages so that is another reason we are waiting...I need the mental and emotional break.

I can certainly understand what you are talking about, Kristie. Of course all of mine are very close together so I have never gotten much of a break, but we wanted them that way. So while I am excited at the prospect of ttc and getting pg again, it seems like things just get a little easier and then become much more difficult again. Diapers aren't our issue (only the baby wears them), but ours is more of a logistics problem. I have to mentally go through every step I am going to take before I go anywhere or even contemplate getting out of the car. Gotta figure out where to park and how I am going to get all of them in a store at the same time. Most of the time I just force myself to do it and it's not nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

Enough of my rambling....

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#28 of 122 Old 10-27-2004, 01:15 AM

Thanks for all the replys, I was really going around the other day about that! I'm feeling much better today.

I'm feeling the fever big time now especially since one of my best friends just came over tonight and told me she was pregnant! It wasn't exactly too exciting at first because it was very unexpected and her baby is only 6mo and still nursing of course, and she suffers from severe hyperemesis. So she was freaking out but once she stopped crying and we were able to encourage her a bit we kicked right into the exciting pregnancy and birth chatter That fueled my fires naturally

So December it is!

Fiddledebi :LOL :LOL :LOL a certain herb huh?

That's histerical, I love your honesty! What else is there left to be right? Hey did you read the issue of Mothering that talked about smoking weed when your pregnant to relieve hyperemesis? I talked about that with my friend tonight so funny you should mention it. That was an informative article. : OK people are gonna love me or hate me now!

#29 of 122 Old 10-27-2004, 10:42 AM

Debi and Kristie - It is great you both are being so honest about smoking herb. People who don't know about it need to hear that normal, smart, good people do it. Personally, I think it is wrong that alcohol is legal and marijuana is not. Just plain stupid, like many other of our policies. Dh's cousin suffers from hyperemesis while pregnant, each time until 7 months! She just had her 4th and her OB told her to have a glass of wine to relax every day, and she did, and the baby is fine. She is very mainstream/straightedge, but I just wanted to pull her aside and get her high. Poor girl.

A friend came over yesterday. She has a 6.5 yr old dd and a 2.5 yr old dd and they found out they are pg, accidentally. DD2 just potty trained and she is back in college full-time and they just started going out again, so she is really upset. She said she kept saying, "That's not a line, is it honey?" :LOL But in a little while she will be happy about it. I think that is the miracle of hormones - you get happy about the baby eventually. Of course it made me want to TTC right now. This was helped by the copious amounts of EWCF I had and my raging libido. Luckily we were too tired to GIO. :

Dh wrote a shopping list - milk, eggs, butter, more babies. He is always on me about having another. I told him between December and April, which is really not so far away anymore!

#30 of 122 Old 10-27-2004, 10:43 AM

Hi again everyone,

Milkymommi - is there any chance that you can wait just a little longer to enjoy your freedom? Or is it important that you start trying in December? Someone had a good point about having nearly a year to enjoy your freedom before the new baby comes, but then being pregnant does have its
limitations.

Doulanicholem - Hi! It's Sarah (doula Sarah) in Athens - long time no see! How is life?

I have the baby bug bad right now - and even February seems far away - I can't imagine having to wait longer to lose mroe weight or save more money up. I hope some sort of windfall comes our way!

I have been working hard on exercising and eating well though, so we'll see.

- Sarah

Sarah photosmile2.gif, 29 - married and entirely love.gif with DH geek.gif. Mama to our one and only amazing Adeline joy.gif 11.05  Forever holding 4 brokenheart.gifs .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page