BC Advice and Reading Material - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-23-2005, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I had our first child 7 months ago, and I started my first post-birth period last night. Rachel is still 99% breastfed, and will not be weaning anytime soon. We would like to have another child, but we are unsure as to when exactly!

Other than a stint with Ortho-Tri-Cyclen many years ago, we have not used birth control. We've used NFP with great success to conceive Rachel, but I doubt my ability to chart thoroughly enough to NOT conceive!

What are your personal experiences with different methods? What benefits / risks are there to different options?

I know this is a talk I could have with my OB/GYN, but I'd rather hear your personal stories. Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 06-29-2005, 09:33 AM

I can't provide any advice about anything other than Depo Provera.

The one drawback to this is that most doctors won't tell you that it COULD cause infertility (which I was unaware of for the 5 years that I was on it) which means it's probably not the best choice if you're hoping for another child.

Other than that side effect, I loved being on it because I didn't have to deal with AF every month, and the fact that no AF can actually reduce the chances of cervical cancer. Just make sure if your doctor tries to offer Depo to you, that you make sure they actually tell you about the possiblity of infertility. I find it very disheartening for any doctor to withold that kind of information simply because it's a widely used BC method.
#3 of 6 Old 07-18-2005, 05:18 PM

I was on bc pills for years and hated every moment of it. Then I switched to a combo of NFP and the Protectaid sponge (during ovulation). I loved it! I did this for five years and when we decided to get pregnant I conceived on the first cycle. I'll definitely go back to the Protectaid sponge when the time comes.

It's not available in the U.S., so I bought it online at birthconrol.com (Canada). They seem expensive, but if you only use it when you're in the "danger zone" it's not so much.

BTW, I've tried other sponges and this is the best. No irritation from spermicide. No "loops" hanging off it. No need to hydrate it first.
#4 of 6 Old 07-22-2005, 11:07 AM

I've tried most of the BC out there (including many OC's, NFP/FAM, Depo, condoms, pull-out :LOL) and after this little one I decided to get fitted for a diaphragm. I no longer will use any type of hormonal BC. Even if I did not object to it for other reasons, I would not risk it while BF'ing, as I had my milk almost dry up after DD#2 when I went on it and I never got it back up to where it once was (aka, I had to supplement and finally wean). My plan after I get my PP AF is to use the diaphragm along with FAM. I know it isn't the most effective method, but I am willing to take that risk to avoid any side effect from other methods.

HTH!

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#5 of 6 Old 07-25-2005, 03:01 PM

I did NFP before my first also- and read a very short book on it at the time. I highly recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility if you haven't already (its got a lot of info like NFP, but it was a WAY better source of info than what I read before).
Personally I just watched my cm after dd and we used a condom anytime things looked "iffy"

Good luck finding the right solution for you.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#6 of 6 Old 07-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A huge warning for Depo that Dr's do not disclose which resulted in a class action law suit if I remember right, not only does Depo cause long term infertility (up to 1 yr for a single shot) but it causes osteoporosis! They had all these teens showing up with osteo and come to find out it was the depo causing it.

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page