anyone ever gotten preg during their period? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone ever had unprotected sex during their period (but not other times during the month) and gotten preg? My friend and I were talking about this and now I am wondering if it has ever actually happened to someone.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#2 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 04:11 AM

well since sperm lasts no more than 5 days - and most people have at least a 6 day luteal phase(LP) (time after ovulation and before menses) ("normal" is 10-12 days) and at least 6 days between menses and ovulation (12-14 days is more normal) and your eggs are only good for a day or so... it's REALLY difficult to imagine that any live sperm would find a viable egg.
#3 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I understand how unlikely it is, the friend I was talking with is actually a doctor, but it is possible, so I was curious if folksb here had had that experience. MerryOne - your point about ovulatory bleeding is interesting. I have never had that but the expereince you descrided of bleeding and thinking it was a period makes a lot of sense.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#4 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 10:35 AM

I did! I was training for a marathon and my periods were unpredictable in length(sometimes only a day or two) and occurance(skipped many months). But I also believed there was no way I could get pregnant because I was "on my period". 9 months later out came ds. My midwife said it was most likely that the periods I was having were not a standard cycle and that I could have been ovulating or something else irregular. I didn't get to do that marathon either but we wouldn't trade ds for anything
#5 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 10:59 AM

Here's my story, although I've never considered that I got pg 'on my period'.

August 2004 I was charting and using a CPFM to AVOID pg. The one and only time we had sex during the cycle was on cd6 which was the last day of my period (just very light spotting, really). We thought it was a 'safe' day, because in previous cycles I had ovulated anywhere from day 11-14. Well, this cycle I O'd on cd9 (confirmed by both charting and monitor) and my ds2 was conceived.

So, that's one way a person can conceive while having sex during their period.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#6 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 11:16 AM

My mom did. Good thing too or I wouldn't be here :LOL
#7 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 11:22 AM

Yeah, I would think that having sex near the end of your period, plus having a short cycle could possibly equal pregnancy. Those sperm can live for several days, and in some people, that would be enough for an egg to be released. My own cycles are quite short, and we are extra careful (although at my age fertility is waning).

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#8 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 11:28 AM

I haven't, but it would be a real possibility for me.

On average - I bleed for 10-11 days, then ovulate between days 12 & 15.

SO - sex at the end of my bleeding (say, day 10), coupled with early-normal ovulation (say, day 12) could equal pregnancy.

I would think that it's LESS likely to happen, as the blood would help to wash the sperm out, but it would be possible.

Heck - if I remember my grade 6 "health" class, you can get pregnant anytime, if you are even in the same room as a boy

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#9 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 11:28 AM

I read somewhere that intercourse, or that is, orgasm, can induce ovioulation. Sadly, i got the article in Norwegian only...

Mother of three little muslims!
#10 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 12:14 PM

I got pregnant with DS on the last day of my period too. We thought we were safe.
#11 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 12:17 PM

I did

My cycle was so screwed up from previous birth control when we were TTC that I figured I might TTC during my period just for the hell of it, and sure enough, DS was conceived.

My mom also conceived during her period, but ended up losing the baby.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#12 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 12:18 PM

Moved to I'm Pregnant...

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#13 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

BUT I AM NOT PREG! I am asking a question that concerns general issues of fertility and preg experiences (in the past) and not the expereince of being preg per se.

I think this move is a mistake.

#14 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 01:53 PM

Like others have said "yep can happen"

And it isn't rare either. Lots of ladies bleed longer than 5 days and lots of ladies ovulate before day 14.

A lady at LLL in my old group had two babies this way.
#15 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I stopped taking my BCP & a few days later had break through bleeding that was at least as heavy & long lasting as a regular period. I became pregnant during one of the days I was bleeding. I don't know if that counts, but I was surprised!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#16 of 17 Old 09-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Perhaps it's better here in Fertility.

#17 of 17 Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 PM

Yep, I agree with some of the pp. I've ovulated a few times on cd9-10, and usually bleed until day 6-7, so intercourse late during menses could definitely result in pregnancy.

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page