? for diaphragm users - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-28-2005, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does any one still use these? I am seriously considering getting fitted for one, but had some questions. Have you successfully avoided pregnancy? Is insertion similar to a diva cup or keeper? How long does one last before it needs to be replaced?
#2 of 9 Old 09-28-2005, 05:34 PM

I used mine for 2 years I think...do you do a yearly exam? Always bring it with and the doc can give you a new one if needed. If you have used a keeper you will have no problem with a diaphram.
#3 of 9 Old 09-28-2005, 05:37 PM

I used mine for a little over a year and never had any problems. I didn't get pg while using it, and I know my cycle so I know we were bd'ing while I was using it. It was very comfortable--i couldn't feel it once it was inserted, and you leave it in for a while afterward so I could sleep in it and take it out the next morning.

It was great...I'll go back to it for contraception after we (hopefully!) have this kid we are trying for!

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#4 of 9 Old 09-28-2005, 05:51 PM

We used one before our first (planned pregnancy) and after him for a bit. We switched because it was kind of a pain. I like to insert it before things got going not to break the the mood, however we called it the "anti-sex device" it seemed that whenever I "planned" we never got around to it

It was easy to insert no complications no unplanned pregnancies. It just wasn't for us.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#5 of 9 Old 10-02-2005, 08:40 PM

I used one for 2-3 yrs a few yrs ago. It effectively prevented pregnancy. A diaphragm with spermicide is actually very effective. A cervical cap has a much higher failure rate, but since birth control info often lumps the diaphragm and cerv cap together, it makes the diaphragm seem less effective than it actually is. I always double checked the placement after insertion. It is very easy to use but you do have to feel comfortable touching your body to use it. I had 2 bladder infections while using it so am a little hesitant to use it again.
#6 of 9 Old 10-02-2005, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would try out the spermicide jellies/creams that accompany them before taking the plunge. I went ahead with it and had a terrible reaction to the spermicide. I would buy some OTC and use a bunch of it (like you will with the diaphragm) to see if that works for you.
#7 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 11:50 AM

:

I'm going to get fitted for one the next time I see my mw. And I'm thinkin I'm going to go out and buy a diva cup so I'll have lots of practice! :LOL
#8 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 11:52 AM

Be sure to ask us if you have any questions!
#9 of 9 Old 10-07-2005, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have one. It fits so well that sometimes I forget that it's in for hours!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page