A charting question... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-12-2005, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got off BCPs and charted my first cycle (not yet TTC) and was excited that I O'ed on day 23.
I was wondering if some of you experienced mamas could answer this question for me:
Does your BBT give you any indication of when AF will show up?
TIA

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#2 of 9 Old 10-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your BBT will drop as AF approaches. This usually occurs at the end of your Lutuel Phase.

Mama to 2 CRAZY boys
#3 of 9 Old 10-12-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose
I just got off BCPs and charted my first cycle (not yet TTC) and was excited that I O'ed on day 23.
I was wondering if some of you experienced mamas could answer this question for me:
Does your BBT give you any indication of when AF will show up?
TIA
AF should arrive 10 to 16 days after the start of the temperature shift. This is the luteal phase of the cycle. Average luteal phase length is 12 to 14 days.

--Jessica

--Jessica

Mom to Dom age 11, Joe age 7, and baby Maddie. love.gif

#4 of 9 Old 10-12-2005, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I am just slightly worried because before BCPs my cycle was usually a bit long - 30 days but Fertility Friend is predicting AF on day 38. If AF does come around day 30, I'll be facing a very short luteal phase.
Of course it's normal for cycles to be goofy after getting off BC.
I would just like to be prepared for AF.

ribbonpb.gif
#5 of 9 Old 10-12-2005, 10:34 PM

Not an experienced mama, but a pretty experienced charter--I too am charting but not quite ready to TTC.

Just to give you an idea of my journey (I am on chart/cycle #8). (Note:haven't been on any type of chemical BC in last 4 years, though, but you likely will have an 'adjustment period')

My first chart I was super excited on day 14 when my temp went up and I had classic CM signals for O. Then 2 days later my temp dropped back into follicular phase range and stayed there and CM went crazy (wet-dry-wet-dry).

#2 I O'd on day 24 of a 28 day cycle
#3 I O'd on day 27 of a 34 day cycle :
#4 I don't believe I O'd at all, but at best I O'd on 19 of 26 with lots of dropping under coverline

**During cycle 4 I started taking chasteberry, 50 mg zinc, cod liver oil, and got really serious about darkening my room at night (resource:Katie Singer, Garden of Fertility)

#5 I O'd 19 of 31, luteal phase temps all well above my coverline (Exactly 12 day LP!!!!) CM perfectly matched up!!! (We celebrated! )
#6 O'd on 18 of 30 (temps stayed way up for 12 days, CM right on)!!
#7 O'd on 15 of 29 (temps high and 13 day LP)!!

I guess what I am trying to say is that if your charts look pretty bad at first, educate yourself and make changes and definitely don't let it freak you out!!

As far as AF warning, luteal phases tend to be more predictable than cycle length, so if your LP is 12 days one month it will likely be about that next month (helps predict). Also, as already mentioned, your temp will drop pretty noticably on the day AF starts. I notice I can even predict time of day it will start based on how drastic the temp drop is (big drop=morning, not so big drop=evening--that is just my experience--not scientific!)

Hope this helps!
#6 of 9 Old 10-12-2005, 10:56 PM

It'll take your body some time to get back on track after stopping bcp. Keep tracking, but don't worry yet.
#7 of 9 Old 10-18-2005, 01:28 AM

Your cycle length is determined by when you ovulate, not some pre-set cycle length or date for AF to arrive...
Luteal phases (once all the BCP hormones work their way out of your system) tend to be very regular. Meaning, some women *always* have a 12 day luteal phase, other women *always* have a 10 day luteal phase. If it is going to vary, it is only going to vary by a day or 2 max. After you figure it out, you will be able to predict when AF arrives with pretty good accuracy.
The irregularity of a cycle comes in on the ovulation half... ovulation can be delayed due to stress, illness, etc.... so if you normally ovulate around CD14 most months, one particularly stressful month may have you ovulating on CD23... that will be a long cycle because even if you normally have 28 day cycles, that is assuming ovulation on CD14. If ovulation was delayed until CD23 and you have 14 day luteal phases, your period will come somewhere around CD37.
(This is why dating a prenancy from LMP is inaccurate)

take care
#8 of 9 Old 10-20-2005, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

This was my first cycle charting so I had no clue how long my LP was going to be. I started spotting today so it looks like I'll have about 13 days in my LP.

I've already heard that LMP is an unreliable basis of getting an EDD. I figure when I get pregnant, if I ovulated late, I'll just count back 14 days to give the doc that date for LMP so it'll be more accurate.

ribbonpb.gif
#9 of 9 Old 10-20-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose
I figure when I get pregnant, if I ovulated late, I'll just count back 14 days to give the doc that date for LMP so it'll be more accurate.
Thats a good strategy. Some folks would say go with a careprovider you can be honest with, but sometimes in the end they will pull the rug out, so just to have to save the explanation of charting etc, your plan sounds good.

take care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page