Chronic yeast and fertility - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-02-2005, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my sister has been married for 4.5 years...they have never used BC and this has been a constant area of frustration for her (and me...for her). she has struggled with chronic yesast infections for most of her married life. does anyone know if yeast affects the environmet for sperm and the ability of them to get to an egg?

also...what is a book that talks about yeast overgrowth and the diet that goes with "fixing" yeast overgrowth?

thanks so much for any info!!
#2 of 6 Old 12-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Ooo, that's so sad. Now that I"m waiting to conceive, I feel sooo much for everyone else who is also!

I don't know the name of the book, but I do know that some people will eliminate sugar and wheat, which feeds the yeast, for a while (I'm thinking 2 weeks +) to get it out of their system. You didn't say if she's been on antibiotics or not; but antibiotics will kill the 'good' bacteria (I'm sure you already know this, but putting it out there anyway) and make it easier for the yeasties to take over. I've heard of people with yeast problems making sure that all of their soaps, lotions, etc are all NOT antibiacterial also, so they can keep their good flora, which will kill them darn yeasties.

Cara
#3 of 6 Old 12-04-2005, 09:43 PM

I know someone who ttc for a couple of yrs and got preg after going on a diet to reduce candida. It sounds like that might be helpful here. Just google "candida" and you'll get a ton of links on excess yeast and bad bacteria.
#4 of 6 Old 12-04-2005, 09:59 PM

I think the books you may have been talking about are The Yeast Connection & The Yeast Connection Cookbook. They are very simple & easy to read.
One sight that I've found to be very informative is WholeApproach.com It's free, and there are even message boards & forums just like MDC for dealing w/every aspect of this problem, it's very intensive but is very helpful... there's support for the actual diet, which is EXTREMELY difficult, you crave yeasty foods like you wouldn't believe. I've found it harder than quitting smoking! There are also recipe forums & worksheets for determining the level of illness.

HTH! Good luck to your sister, but if she can get it under control, she may just find it easy to conceive!
#5 of 6 Old 12-16-2005, 05:16 PM

I've heard about this happening with bacteria, as well, of women getting pregnant after years TTC and then having a mild antibiotic like tetracyclene for acne or something and getting pg.
#6 of 6 Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 AM

It could be she has PCOS, polycystic ovarian syndrome, which usually suppresses ovulation, and is associated with insulin resistance, a prediabetic condition. Diabetics get yeast infections a lot. I know I do, and I have PCOS. But perhaps if she gets rid of the yeasties with diet, that would help. She should also check out "The Complete Candida Sourcebook" to help with it. She could have candidaisis (sp?) which can cause all kind of troubles.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page