Neg test, could I still be pg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-27-2005, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some opinions. I'm having symptoms of being pg but have tested neg on two dollar store tests. They were the cheapies that you have to collect the pee to use. Neither were first morning pee. Last month was a full one and I didn't even write down when AF came and have no idea when it did (I have like a two week window). All I know is that it certainly came before now and I'm at least a few days late. So, now I'm confused. I don't have the money to waste on going to the doc and I don't have insurance on myself (just the kids). I'm training for a marathon and have started to really amp up my training in the last few weeks, pushing myself past my limit. Since my pg tests were neg do you think that it would be ok to keep training as if I'm not pg? Or should I slow it down until I get AF or a pos test? The marathon is in April and I really don't have the time to pull back for a week, it'd throw my whole schedule off so I'd hate to do it only to get AF next week. BTW, I don't think that AF isn't showing up because of training, I've trained this hard in the past and it has never caused any problems.

ETA: Dh and I just use the withdrawl method so it is a possibility though a very slim one, we didn't get many chances to do anything last month.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#2 of 8 Old 12-27-2005, 09:55 PM

Well, all I know is that I have a friend who had a few urine pregnancy tests which all said negative AFTER having an ultrasound which showed the babies heartbeat. The doctors knew that they had to do bloodtests with her to determine pregnancy.

Personally, I'd pay more for a drugstore pregnancy test than for a dollar store test, assuming I'd get better quality, but that didn't work for my friend, so who knows?

If in doubt, get a blood test.
#3 of 8 Old 12-27-2005, 10:00 PM

Sorry, I just realized that I wasn't answering all of your questions. Are there not any places in your town where you can get free pregnancy tests? If so, you can go there, if the urine test shows negative, request a blood test. As far as training for a marathon, I think it would be better for you to get a true answer ASAP to ensure that you aren't harming yourself or any potential baby.
#4 of 8 Old 12-28-2005, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

I only know of one place where I can get a free pregnancy test. They use the kind of test that I took from the dollar store, maybe more accurate, I'd pee in a cup and then I'd go in the next room and with a person watching me I put the drops in the little thingy. They are VERY pro-life so I guess they figure this makes the mother more attached or something. They don't offer bloodtests. We're kind of broke right now so I can't afford to go anywhere that charges, literally every dollar counts. My sister hasn't been feeling well today so I'm thinking that maybe I'm just coming down with something.

But if I still haven't gotten my period in January, I'll get a better test then. Since money is tight I want to get the most reliable one as I'll only be able to buy one. Is there a test that outdoes the others in reliability?

#5 of 8 Old 12-28-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2
Is there a test that outdoes the others in reliability?
Hmmm, I really don't know. I know EPT tests worked for me BEFORE my period was even due and that was years ago. But my friend said that no urine OTC tests (or even in office tests) showed positive for her, despite the fact that she was growing a healthy baby. (don't ask me how that works!)

Perhaps someone who knows more about this can pipe in?

I guess I would look in the yellow pages for pregnancy tests and free clinics, perhaps? Our city is pretty small and I know there is a free health clinic (sliding scale or free depending on whether you have any money, something like that) and there are a few places advertising free pregnancy tests, including a Planned Parenthood. Could your town be similar but you just don't know it yet?

Or just take it a little easier right now, don't train too hard (training hard can't be that good if you are coming down with a cold or flu anyway, can it?) and wait to see what happens.

Good luck.
#6 of 8 Old 12-28-2005, 05:41 PM

To be safe, I would assume you were pregnant. I'm pregnant now, even though I was sure it was way too late in my cycle to get pregnant when we did the deed, and I tested negative until 10 days after AF was due.
#7 of 8 Old 12-28-2005, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

To be on the safe side, I'll pull back on training. I was just beginning to up my times anyway so I guess it won't be too detrimental. Then I'll have the peace of mind that if I am pg I'm not hurting it. And if I'm not, I can just up my schedule when I find out. I'm setting a date to test: January 12th. I figure that by that time I'll be at least 2 weeks late from the latest date that I could've gotten AF last month (and that's assuming that I was late last month which I know I wasn't). I'll probably get an EPT, I looked it up and the only free clinics I could find (besides the one I knew about) are at least 3 buses away and I wouldn't have anyone to watch my kids who I'd be comfortable telling where I was going. If I still get a BFN then I'll have to bite the bullet and get someone to watch my kids while I go to a clinic, I'll have to think something up to tell them. Anyway, I'll update on the 12th or 13th one way or another. Thanks for the help.

#8 of 8 Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 PM

Check into clinics....they have a couple around heer I went to for tests when I did not have insurance and they do both blood or urine. A planned parenthho place maybe?
Also, it could be maybe just your training that you mentioned. Heavy dutyu training or a change in diet cand hinder your cycle from coming on cue.
That being said, I am in the same boat as yu right now with two neg tests and still some suspicious preggo symptoms hanging around.......

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page