Anyone losing weight in preparation for TTC? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 10-15-2006, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
I hadn't considered that breastfeeding would be a reason to avoid losing weight due to toxins. Does anyone have more information about this?
Well any time you lose fat, you unlock whatever is stored there. Good or bad. I will try to find the info I saw on it.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#32 of 37 Old 10-15-2006, 03:05 PM

No research links right now, but basically, toxins are stored in body fat. That's why weight loss is so great for detoxing, in general. Just not-so-good for babies if you're nursing, hence my waiting to lose weight. I also happen to gain weight while breastfeeding (without eating more), instead of losing, so I'm kind of in a bad place.

I was pregnant with my second when my first was still nursing (20 months), then had another baby, and am still nursing (as I said above). That means almost four years and counting of breastfeeding/pregnancy, all bad times to lose weight. I know I've used that as an excuse at times, but when you come right down to it, I don't want to put my desire to be thin and healthy above my baby's right to cleaner food.

And yet, I do want get pregnant with another baby sometime in the next year. I suppose I need to continue to eat whole foods, and be patient.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#33 of 37 Old 10-18-2006, 07:19 PM

Yoo hoo!? Anybody out there?
#34 of 37 Old 10-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post
No research links right now, but basically, toxins are stored in body fat. That's why weight loss is so great for detoxing, in general. Just not-so-good for babies if you're nursing, hence my waiting to lose weight. I also happen to gain weight while breastfeeding (without eating more), instead of losing, so I'm kind of in a bad place.

I was pregnant with my second when my first was still nursing (20 months), then had another baby, and am still nursing (as I said above). That means almost four years and counting of breastfeeding/pregnancy, all bad times to lose weight. I know I've used that as an excuse at times, but when you come right down to it, I don't want to put my desire to be thin and healthy above my baby's right to cleaner food.

And yet, I do want get pregnant with another baby sometime in the next year. I suppose I need to continue to eat whole foods, and be patient.
So, are you suggesting that it's unhealthy to lose fat when breastfeeding? Almost all women I know who breastfeed have lost weight after the birth of their babies, if even only 15 pounds. As well, I don't understand what you mean that you eat the same amount of food, but gain weight? When your body is using an extra 500 or so calories a day to breastfeed? Is this some hormonal change that causes you to keep weight even when you eat less?

4 kids under 10
#35 of 37 Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed
So, are you suggesting that it's unhealthy to lose fat when breastfeeding?
No, I'm not. I personally think weight loss during breastfeeding is God's design.

What I do think is unhealthy is all the toxins that we are exposed to in so many ways (food, air, water), and how those toxins are stored in fat and released during weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed
I don't understand what you mean that you eat the same amount of food, but gain weight?
My evidence is largely anecdotal and experiential. My diet has not changed (and the quality and types of food I consume have even improved). Still, I gain weight with each nursling. I have been told by a couple of lactation consultants and a midwife that this happens to some women.

I'm certainly not an expert, but based on what I've read and experienced, those are the conclusions I've made. I'd love time to do more research, and would love to read any related research anyone has found.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#36 of 37 Old 10-21-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessmcg View Post
started Eat to Live on April 1, and lost 30 lbs in 3 months.
I told DH just last night that I'm unhappy with this weight creeping up and think we both needed to go back to the Eat to Live way of eating. I had marginal success last time, but he lost 15 lbs right away! Of course, that totally makes me want to TTC right now (or at least practice often )

So, add me to the "slimming down before getting round" tribe.

Leila... Some of my weight is from my last m/c.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#37 of 37 Old 10-21-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post
I told DH just last night that I'm unhappy with this weight creeping up and think we both needed to go back to the Eat to Live way of eating. I had marginal success last time, but he lost 15 lbs right away! Of course, that totally makes me want to TTC right now (or at least practice often )

So, add me to the "slimming down before getting round" tribe.

Leila... Some of my weight is from my last m/c.
thanks

Yk, that is the frustrating part, it seems that my body has just been up and down, up and down! Ds has stopped nursing as much as well, and I have really felt a shift in my metabolism. And my hormones. I feel a lot more steady. With my decrease in appettite, maybe I can finally kick this old weight that is hanging on!

I think i have decided though, that i am just tired. I think I want to wait at least until next year to conceive again. And maybe, even longer. I just don't know anymore, yk? Also, we are clearing out a mold problem that has crept up in our main(bedroom) bathroom in our duplex we rent. I read that mold problems can cause miscarriage!It really seems to click and make sense. We have been having some other symptoms too, and not feeling our healthiest, so we are haviing our rental company rip up the linoleum and fix the mold/water damage, we had them repaint, we are getting a new shower door, getting floors cleaned, washing everything, etc. So hopefully our home will not be so sick afterwards. And I think after all that I am still tired

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page