how much does BF affect TTC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I looked on the website but could not find the exact answer...maybe I am doing the wrong search words. We have been TTC for about 4 months and I am breastfeeding my 15 month a lot day and night. Thanks,
Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2006, 02:37 PM

BF'ing mostly affects ovulation. Has your period returned yet? If so, you may or may not be ovulating. Frequent nursing & suckling (more than every 4 hrs in the day and 6 hrs in the night) realeases prolactin, which can prevent ovulation. However, there are somre of us unlucky momma's who get AF back early on (4.5 months PP for me) even while exclusively BF'ing around the clock. However, I'm not ovulating yet, so I've just had one annovulatory period so far.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 09-11-2006, 12:10 PM

I haven't seen documentation of it, but a friend in another online forum mentioned that breastfeeding can cause a shortened luteal phase. That seems to be true for me. My luteal phase used to 10-12 days long, but has been as short as 8 days while breastfeeding.

Oddly enough, though I had a difficult time conceiving my daughter, I managed to conceive the first cycle I tried while breastfeeding. I miscarried, but I do take some comfort in the fact that I conceived easily.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:14 PM

I saw the short LF in the TCOYF today while I was reading. It's also in my Natural Art of Family Planning manual thing from the C2CL.

I'm +- 15 mos pp with no AF, spotting, what have you. My babe nurses frequently.

HTH

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.

User Tag List