How long did you have to wait to have kids before DH was ready? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-07-2006, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A thread about DH not wanting more children made me want to ask all of you -- how long did you have to wait until DH was ready to have 1st child?
#2 of 16 Old 10-07-2006, 09:07 PM

We just started TTC, 9 months after our wedding!

Michelle, wife to Ryan, mommy to Gabriel 6/23/2007 and Susanna 9/19/2009
#3 of 16 Old 10-07-2006, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAnnette View Post
We just started TTC, 9 months after our wedding!
Cool! Congratulations! Good luck!
#4 of 16 Old 10-07-2006, 10:27 PM

DH and I just celebrated our 1 year anniversary and decided at around 7 months in that we wanted to start a family. I got off BCP's and decided against ever going back on because it really just stunk and 2 months later started ttc. This is our third cycle.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#5 of 16 Old 10-07-2006, 10:28 PM

6 or 7 years

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#6 of 16 Old 10-07-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini View Post
6 or 7 years
I'm right there with ya, Trini! We were married like 9 years before DH decided he was ready to have a baby. (And we dated for 5 years before we got married, so it seemed like it was an eternity). So, now I have a toddler and most of my friends the same age have 5th or 6th graders.

#7 of 16 Old 10-07-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcoolmama View Post
I'm right there with ya, Trini! We were married like 9 years before DH decided he was ready to have a baby. (And we dated for 5 years before we got married, so it seemed like it was an eternity). So, now I have a toddler and most of my friends the same age have 5th or 6th graders.

Exactly. I feel so far behind. On top of that, we dealt with infertility for several years and then the loss of our first child. For a while I was so bitter about all those years we used birth control or avoided pregnancy.

I must say, though, that I do appreciate the fact that we are financially secure and also established in careers. We are in a position where one of us can always be home with ds. If we had started having children early in our marriage we would have been in a much different situation.

Now the issue is I'm ready for another and he isn't. Ugh. Hope it doesn't take 10 more years. I'm getting older by the minute!

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#8 of 16 Old 10-07-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini View Post
Exactly. I feel so far behind. On top of that, we dealt with infertility for several years and then the loss of our first child. For a while I was so bitter about all those years we used birth control or avoided pregnancy.

I must say, though, that I do appreciate the fact that we are financially secure and also established in careers. We are in a position where one of us can always be home with ds. If we had started having children early in our marriage we would have been in a much different situation.

Now the issue is I'm ready for another and he isn't. Ugh. Hope it doesn't take 10 more years. I'm getting older by the minute!
Yep, yep, yep! Totally know where you're coming from! Good luck with having #2!

#9 of 16 Old 10-08-2006, 12:41 PM

We purposely conceived dd#1 a month after our wedding :

The next one, DH is going to be pushing me to get pregnant, not the other way around. I guess we're just backwards.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#10 of 16 Old 10-08-2006, 03:37 PM

5.5 years. We married at 23, and I told him then that I would like to have our first child before we were 30. He agreed, and we were both 29 when DS was born, although I would not have minded having him 3 or 4 years earlier.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#11 of 16 Old 10-08-2006, 06:37 PM

We started TTC a baby 2 months after he asked me to marry him. He is as excited to have a little one as I am.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#12 of 16 Old 10-08-2006, 07:05 PM

We married at 18. Here is the conversation that took place before consumating our marriage...

Me: So, no children for 5 years?
DH: Yep.
Me: Condoms are in that drawer over there.

Six months later...
Me: Hey, remember that night we didn't use a condom?
DH: Yep
Me: I think I'm pregnant....

A few days later...
Me: False alarm, I'm not pregnant.
DH: Darn.
Me: I know. Let's start TTC now!!!!

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#13 of 16 Old 10-08-2006, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
We purposely conceived dd#1 a month after our wedding :

The next one, DH is going to be pushing me to get pregnant, not the other way around. I guess we're just backwards.
Really? Wow! Good for you guys for being on the same page. When we got married, my H was like, don't even think about kids for a few years!

It was a big debate...he'd always say, "Women have kids in their 30s all the time!"
#14 of 16 Old 10-08-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmamma View Post
5.5 years. We married at 23, and I told him then that I would like to have our first child before we were 30. He agreed, and we were both 29 when DS was born, although I would not have minded having him 3 or 4 years earlier.
#15 of 16 Old 10-08-2006, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We started TTC as soon as we got married. We really talked out a lot of details before we got married and felt that was VERY important to us. It took a while to actually have a baby got married in 00' and had our first in 04', so it didn't work out to plan, but we had some time to do some foster parenting in the mean time.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#16 of 16 Old 10-08-2006, 11:55 PM

We discussed it before marriage and it was agreed that we would begin trying in 2-3 years. I wanted to have my first child before 25. I married at 19. We stopped using birthcontrol though when we got married. After indication that I had ovarian problems we began trying right away and it took over three years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page