time between ovulation and menstruation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forgive me, I know I should know this...but can anyone tell me if my assumption is correct, that once you have ovulated you will menstruate within 2 weeks? I know every woman has her own cycle, and thus it is important to know your own rythyms, but I have somehow come to believe that it is the period between your last mensturation and your next ovulation that could be variable, but that once ovulation has occured, it is a sure 2 weeks before you bleed. Anyone able to confirm or deny this?

Sarahfina
#2 of 7 Old 02-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Generally, yes.

The time between ovulation and the next period is called the luteal phase. A very typical luteal phase is 14 days, although it does vary from woman to woman -- anywhere from about 10 days to 16 days. For most women, the length of their individual luteal phase stays pretty much consistant month to month. That's why you can be quite sure that you're pregnant if you don't get a period after 17 days after ovulation (assuming your temperature stays high).

By comparison, the phase prior to ovulation can vary dramatically month to month for a woman. It is very unusual that a woman has a "normal" 14 days leading up to ovulation, month after month, year after year. More typically, the time varies occassionally - by days or even weeks - based on things going on in the woman's life -- illness, stress, nutrition, etc. That's why the rhythm method of birth control doesn't really work.
#3 of 7 Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 AM

ITA with contented73
#4 of 7 Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 AM

Yes, time between ovulation and menstruation in ideal world should be 14 days.

However, like pps mentioned it varies from 10-12 days for some. And for those who have LP defect it may be less than 9 days (for ex, mine was 7 days few cycles ago.)

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#5 of 7 Old 02-21-2007, 11:26 PM

Mine is really long, and right now my cycles are really, really long because I keep losing weight
#6 of 7 Old 03-28-2007, 05:37 PM

I totally agree with PP i have a LP defect and my days past O are only about 8 days but i O on day 18 like clockwork. It makes getting PG very hard atlest for me.
#7 of 7 Old 03-30-2007, 10:08 AM

I wanted to add...after having a baby and nursing, sometimes the luteal phase starts out short after your first AF, then gradually lengthens back to normal with time.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page