Is it harder to get pregnant the second time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-25-2007, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got pregnant on the first try with my now 18-month-old ds. We're trying again, but so far no luck in six months. I know a couple of women who have boys around 3 or 4 -- they want to have another child, but aren't able to get pregnant. I'm starting to panic ... Does anyone have experience with this?

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#2 of 16 Old 02-26-2007, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagamama View Post
I got pregnant on the first try with my now 18-month-old ds. We're trying again, but so far no luck in six months. I know a couple of women who have boys around 3 or 4 -- they want to have another child, but aren't able to get pregnant. I'm starting to panic ... Does anyone have experience with this?
I don't think it has anything to do with the second time around. Since it was so easy the first time, its natural to hope it will be the next time. If you're young and have no know fertility issues, I wouldn't worry too much. Do you monitor your fertility signs- like looking for egg-white cervical mucous?
#3 of 16 Old 02-26-2007, 04:56 PM

Secondary infertility is unfortunately pretty common. The best way you can find out if there's a problem or not is by charting regularly and timing intercouse around ovulation. Also, don't rule out your partner just because you've had one child. We conceived ds without even trying, and have been actively ttc for more than 2.5yrs now. It turns out we both have issues, which we've discovered after 2 yrs worth of appts and many many tests. Be aggressive and ask questions of your drs now if it's something you're concerned about.

#4 of 16 Old 02-26-2007, 09:14 PM

It was harder for me the first time. It took 10 months. The second time I got pg the first month. You never know.
#5 of 16 Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
It was harder for me the first time. It took 10 months. The second time I got pg the first month. You never know.
I was the opposite. we got pregnant within 4 months of sexual activity...the 2nd time around? nearly 2 years! 3rd time though (with the help of robitussen) happened pretty quickly...only like 3 cycles I think...

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#6 of 16 Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 AM

We also got pregnant on our first month with our first DD. We weren't timing intercourse and I had no idea when I ovulated. Just dtd I think once that month, and it worked! What a fluke...
For my second DD, we tried 10 months. It seemed like an eternity since I thought I would get pregnant right away again. I would say 7 months of those 10 were well timed intercourse attempts, the other 3 weren't. But it was dissapointing to get BFNs month after month when I thought it would happen right away.
Hang in there! I know its tough!
#7 of 16 Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 AM

I'm sure there are stats out there somewhere supporting it one way or another. I think it just depends on your body though. With DD it took 4 months about. With my current one (which was originally planned and then halted so is tehnically a surprise ) I had been cycling for about 5 months. So around the same time frame.

I think alot has to do with the constant inconsistencies in regards to diet and nutrition and exercise etc. You might be eating the same way and exercising the same way but your body may be handling it differently than it did with your first one. Heck it may be handling it differently than it did last month!

Hang in there!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#8 of 16 Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the responses. I feel encouraged! Periods have been irregular, so I guess that's part of the problem.

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#9 of 16 Old 03-06-2007, 02:54 AM

I had a hard time getting pregnant with #2. #1 we got pg on the 3rd month of ttc. #2 took 2m/c's back to back april05 at 5wks then got pg again before getting a af back and m/c'd in july05 baby only measured 6wks4days but my body held onto the baby til 13wks * got pg 1 month shy of the 1yr ttc mark.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#10 of 16 Old 03-09-2007, 04:52 PM

DS came after only 2 cycles w/o condom (meaning we didn't chart or time or anything). This time I've been doing everything I can think of short of fert meds and still 9 months of waiting. It's harder because I didn't prepare for it to take this long. I can't help but worry but the truth is we have no reason to not be preg. Nothing has changed (except I nursed for 19 months) and it is frustrating.

I am uplifted hearing the stories from those who did get preg after longer ttc #2. Keep them coming.

T

Tara - Mother to Curtis 12/04 and Clark 11/07
#11 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 02:47 PM

It was easier the second time for me. First time took 9 months and herbs, second one happened the first time we tried. I know a lady who took Clomid, had a miscarriage, more clomid, then had #1. She tried 6 months for #2 (without drugs), took a "break", and then found out she was pg not soon after.
#12 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM

I got pregnant with 2 months of unprotected sex, not trying. We have now been trying for #2 for over 21 months. So for us it has been much harder.
#13 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 11:12 PM

It took me the same amount of time with #2--4 months.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#14 of 16 Old 03-23-2007, 11:55 PM

Are you still nursing? do you chart?
#15 of 16 Old 03-24-2007, 01:57 AM

I'm still nursing and don't chart.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#16 of 16 Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 AM

it has been for me -
#1 was 1 month once we figured out when to do it.
ttc #2 for 6 months now....

GL!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page