Vegetarian/Vegan Mamas- what gender is your child? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 05-17-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine and I were having a debate about what influences gender. She says that vegans tend to have boys, and that mamas who consume a lot of dairy have girls. What do you think?
#2 of 49 Old 05-17-2007, 06:29 PM

I have one of each, and I'm vegan. But that's just anecdotal, I don't really know. I went vegan about 2 weeks before getting pregnant with my first (boy). I guess I ate a lot of dairy before then. My second is a girl, and I was vegan for about 2.5 yrs before concieving her.

I've heard that too though...but I don't know the answer to your question. I think I heard that your diet affects the pH of your cervical mucus, which can affect the motility of the sperm selectively.
#3 of 49 Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 PM

I am vegan (and was for a couple of years before conceiving) and I have a DS....interesting, I have never heard of this before...:

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#4 of 49 Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 PM

My best friend was vegan, and has 2 daughters (while she was vegan) and 1 son (when she went back to full-on meat consumer ).

Since it's the sperm that determines gender, I don't see why what Mama eats has to do with it?
#5 of 49 Old 05-17-2007, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

They say it has something to do with cervical mucous--the thicker the mucuous, the harder it is for the boy sperms to swim fast (since theya re supposedly faster).
#6 of 49 Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 PM

I really think there is some truth to this! HAHA! My SIL had twin girls and then cut out most dairy items and has had 2 boys since then.....my cousin had to cut out dairy(although she did cheat and eat ice cream every once in a while) because her dd was still b/f and was allergic to dairy and just had a baby boy!

The reason is supposed to be because "girl" sperm are supposed to be hardier and "boy" sperm are weaker....dairy makes you acidic which is supposed to kill off the "boy" sperm. So if you cut out the diary(and other acidic foods) you are supposed to become more akaline, thus giving the "boy" sperm more of a fighting chance.

eta: I LOVE cheese, so dh still blames me for having 2 girls! HAHA!
#7 of 49 Old 05-17-2007, 11:15 PM

Somewhat off topic, but still related to "daughters or sons"

"Attractive couples more likely to have daughter as a first-born"
I knew I'd read this a few months ago. Here's one of the links

http://in.news.yahoo.com/060731/139/66auq.html

Damn, I knew I was good looking, but mama2two girls must be jaw-dropping gorgeous.

I wonder what other "sons vs. daughter" stuff there is out there....
#8 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was veggie before both girls. I do eat a lot of dairy. Hmmm!!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#9 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 02:36 AM

The diet of the mother does affect the pH balance of her cervical mucus. More alkaline diet tends to produce boys and a more acidic diet tends to produce girls. Boy sperms swim faster in an alkaline environment but tend to die or move slower in an acidic one. Girl sperm live longer then boy sperm, so after the boys are gone, girls are still there ready to get the egg.

Ive been doing tons of research on this topic. :
#10 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 02:44 AM

Fascinating!

When I conceived ds1 I hadn't eaten any dairy for years because I was intolerant.

I can't remember if I was eating dairy or not when we conceived ds2, if I was it wasn't very much (strangely, being pregnant the first time took care of my dairly intolerance, but then ds1 was sensitive to it so I hardly ate it).
#11 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 AM

A friend of mine has been ovo-lacto vegetarian since before she conceived her first child and she has 6 boys and 5 girls, so it doesn't seem true for her as she is basically 50/50.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#12 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 01:25 PM

I'm a veggie and eat a lot of dairy, and have a ds. But of course maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule! This is pretty fascinating. What other foods produce more acidic or alkali CM?

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#13 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 02:20 PM

I'm mostly veggie (I fall on and off the wagon periodically ), but up until about 2 months ago, consumed a TON of dairy (I'm now way intolerant): I have 3 boys. So, either Dh has extra hardy swimmers, or I haven't been overly affected in that dept.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#14 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 02:59 PM

While the woman’s diet is a large component of it, it’s also interesting to see exactly what she was eating at the time close to conception. Many vegetables we eat are alkalizing veggies, i.e. broccoli, cabbage, eggplant, cauliflower, green beans. So if you consume dairy but are vegetarian, your body is prone to still be more alkaline depending on exactly the foods you are eating. If like the woman who has 6 boys and 5 girls, it would be great to know what were the factors present before those conceptions. Before having boys, did she eat fish, or consume more salty foods, did she eat a lot of bananas? Coffee, tea and soda drinks are major alkalizers, maybe she drank coffee during a boy and not so much during a girl? (I’m totally hypothesizing here.. just find it fascinating.)

Also, there are other factors too, the man’s diet is as important, what kind of environment is his sperm in? Also, what position did they have intercourse? Was it shallow, deep from behind? TMI: We conceived rear entry and had a boy. Rear entry is closer to the cervix and the boy sperms have a much shorter distance to go then if it was missionary and shallow penetration.

Do the women who had girls douche? Douching makes for a more acidic environment. Also, lower sperm count in males has been shown to produce girls. So, if they had sex several times before ovulation, the girl spermies have a better chance.

Obviously they are all theories, but when you put several different factors together, it sure makes for some interesting hypothesizing!
#15 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 03:04 PM

Isra, that IS very interesting! And I do drink coffee and tea very regularly, so I could see that, along w/the veggies, balancing out the dairy. Hmmm....

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#16 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

So, girls thrive in acidic environments and boy sperm in alkaline? And dairy is an acidic food? What about meat products? Salt? Are veggies acidic or alkaline? Guess I'm full of questions! :-)
#17 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 07:14 PM

So I have 3 girls (almost) and next time to get a boy I must:
eat alkaline foods, cut out dairy (so where does meat fall into)
Make DH also eat this way
And have sex *rear entry*
Right as I ovulate

Ok I will have to remember this!

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#18 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 PM

There's a lot you can do to sway the odds, but nothing is 100% of course. Im looking into it a lot, cause Id love to try for a girl next.. but I know its just about me doing whatever I can in my control then leaving it up to whatever was meant to be! You should check out in-gender.com Its a whole website devoted to "swaying the odds" in favor of a boy or girl.. very informative and absorbing! :
#19 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 08:21 PM

I was a vegetarian when I had my first son. Not a lot dairy, but not vegan.
#20 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post

Since it's the sperm that determines gender, I don't see why what Mama eats has to do with it?
Yeah... that.
#21 of 49 Old 05-18-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77

Because boy sperm and girl sperm behave differently. Boys live short lives, but swim fast, girls live longer but swim slower. So, depending on what kind of CM the woman has will either favor the boy sperm to get to the egg faster or the girl sperm. When we were trying for our first, we were trying to sway the odds for a boy. I also drank Robutussin a couple of days prior to ovulation to increase my CM. Boy sperm thrive on fertile, EWCM, it helps them swim faster and get up there quicker. Not so important with a girl.

ETA: I just remembered something else. When we were trying for DS, I drank a liter of carrot juice every other day from AF to O. I had read that it increases CM, but I just now read that veggie juices are alkalizing, so another factor I added to my sway for a boy the first time.
#22 of 49 Old 05-20-2007, 01:02 PM

I just wanted to add: my partner read a study a few months ago which showed that vegans almost never had twins. I don't know what journal it was in....just thought that was interesting.
#23 of 49 Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 AM

My Mother-In-Law is lactose intoleranant and had 4 boys. Concidence or not? Very interesting to ponder this stuff.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#24 of 49 Old 05-30-2007, 03:36 PM

Not a veggie here, but a curious TTC-er. :

I appearantly ovulated a week before I expected to and our timing probably wasn't good for this cycle as a result, but I've been having a lot of acidity in my stomach and a lot of GERD all week. It would be interesting to see if we do succede and if it is a girl. Hard to know, though, if it would be due to bad timing- which favors girls, being an attractive couple (we're going for our first born) or the acid.

-
#25 of 49 Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 PM

I had a boy and a girl when I was vegan.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#26 of 49 Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 AM

Been veg since I was 14 and I have one of each gender.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#27 of 49 Old 05-31-2007, 06:22 PM

i'm a lacto-ovo-veg (have been for 10 years). we have one dd, and thinking about having another soon
#28 of 49 Old 06-06-2007, 11:28 AM

My SIL is vegetarian and they have a little boy. I'm usually not vegetarian, and have a little girl, same age. But we're pregnant again, and I have a hunch that it's a boy...we'll know in 2 months what we're having. But I didn't think about this until now... I was vegetarian prior to conceiving this time. I'm really interested to know the gender now, after reading this discussion! Interesting theories.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#29 of 49 Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 AM

I've been vegan for nearly 19 years. I have two dds -- ages 8.75 and 6.75. No twins for me, but I do know two vegans with twins.
#30 of 49 Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaffNowCryLater View Post
Been veg since I was 14 and I have one of each gender.

Same here, except since I was 15

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page