Can a condom fail without breaking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am getting a little freaked out. I am 100% done having kids. I never, ever, ever want to have more kids. We've just been using condoms but now I am getting worried that I could be pregnant. I have been peeing tons for over a week now, now my breasts are itchy (that is something I always get when I'm pregnant) and my cervix is high and tilted back. We have not had unprotected sex at all and I know the condom didn't break but is it possible for them to fail and you can't see the break? There was no physical contact at all with the condom off (I am paranoid about getting pregnant). Please someone tell me if it broke I would know it! If somehow I actually was pregnant I don't know what I'd do. Well I'd have a baby obviously. But it would ruin my life. : I have so many health problems and I am just not up for another pregnancy. And I am SO totally not up for another baby. I am thrilled that my youngest is finally 18 months because she's growing up. I am looking forward to the sleeping through the night (still not happening) and I think I would have a nervous breakdown if I have to go back to the beginning again.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 20 Old 07-17-2007, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, it's possible not to see the break. Or some semen could have made its way to you before putting it on or after taking it off. Could the outside of the condom possibly have gotten any of his fluid on it?
#3 of 20 Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 PM

Well it is always possible that there was a defect in the condom but the odds of that would be so low.

Did you have any stressful situations going on when you were due to O? Sick or anything unusual going on? Sometimes that will delay O. also most woman will have cycles were they dont O at all and because of it af dosnt show like she normally would.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

I don't see how any semen could have gotten outside the condom. And there's no way semen could have gotten on me before putting the condom because (to be blunt) I don't let his penis anywhere near me if there's not a condom on it. I'm sure I'm not. I pray I'm not. We started using a new lubricant and now I'm worried that maybe it isn't safe for use with condoms. I remember DH checking and it didn't say anything so we assumed it was safe. Maybe we should have assumed it would say whether it was safe with condoms. I forgot to also mention I've been exhausted the last week or so. I have a crazy nightwaking baby so I am used to being tired but the last week or so I've been going to bed early which I never do and I've been having to nap or lay down almost every afternoon because I can't function. This is really freaking me out!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#5 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 AM

Can you take a pg test, or too early?

Is the lube water based? I'm quite sure all water based lubes are fine. Can someone confirm that?

Good luck!!
#6 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 AM

There are multiple ways a condom can fail w/o breaking. Human error is a biggie.

Slippage.

pre-ejaculate escaping before putting it on.

Vindictive ex lovers pricking them with pins while still in the package. (yes, I've heard of it)

FTR, I was supposedly sterile and using a condom in the era of safe sex and got pregnant.

If that isn't what you wanted, I hope you're just late.

for intuitive readings click here :
#7 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Here are the ingredients of the lube: purified water, propylene glycol, hydroxyethyl cellulose, benzoic acid, sodium hydroxide. Does that sound safe?

#8 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 AM

I dunno. What is the brand?
#9 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, its Durex Play. I think they have a condom brand with the same names as the various lubricants so it is probably safe. I could just buy a test and know one way or the other but I would have to do it behind DH's back because we are mega broke right now and he thinks its silly to worry because we were using condoms.

#10 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:23 AM

I think you're ok. It sounds like you're super cautious. What health problems do you have? I know some of mine make my cycles weird, do you think any of yours have maybe just knocked you a little off kilter?

#11 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Durex Play More Lubricant:

* Provides long-lasting lubrication
* Non-greasy and odorless
* Silky smooth
* Doubles as a massage lotion
* Water-soluble and be used with latex condoms
http://www.undercovercondoms.com/Pro...Lubricant.html
#12 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 AM

Sorry to say this, but I got pregnant when we were using condoms religiously- we were so shocked and said to eachother- do you remember it breaking? We did not have any incidents of the condom failing and were being very careful with birth control, and yet we did get PG.
#13 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 AM

When is/was your period due?
#14 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 AM

Sure it can, the most common reason for people conceiving while using condoms is because the man put it on wrong.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#15 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:41 AM

My high school nurse, who taught a very liberal sex ed class and passed out condoms in her office, used to tell us that 1/100 condoms has a hole in it. (She meant manufacturing error and the like)

Dollar Tree sells pregnancy tests... It's worth knowing for sure.
#16 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 AM

go get a test!! now *i* need to know!!!
#17 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I woke up at 6 am and AF had started full force! Yay - not pregnant!!!

#18 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Woot!! Cool.
#19 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 11:07 PM

whew!

glad to hear it.

#20 of 20 Old 07-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

I've heard that if you wear the king size condoms, they can slip off and allow semen to get into the vagina. I've also heard that expired condoms can have microscopic tears and holes in them that are big enough for sperm to get through.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 3 years and Angela, 2 years)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page