Can I get some reassurance this isn't possible? UPDATE #100 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little background:
Dh had a vasectomy a year ago, right before our son was born. He never brought in the sperm sample to insure that all the little swimmers had died. About 3-4 months after the big V the surgeon called and said that they send tissue samples to some lab and based on his tissue sample he's at "high risk for an ineffective vasectomy". Even with this information dh figures since it's been a year we're fine.

About 9 days ago we had sex & I realized after it was a couple days before ovulation.

Fast forward to today:
All day today everytime I nurse ds my nipples hurt. When he latches on it feels similar to what it feels like the first couple days of nursing, although not as bad. I have a horrible headache & feel sick to my stomach.

It's totally possible I'm just getting sick but the nipple pain is freaking me out.

So, the obvious question is... Is there really even a chance I could be pregnant or is there other reasons for nipple pain? I've never experience the pain before my period or anything like that so I don't think it's that. Plus my period is still about 6 days away.

I know we don't know "for sure" but I can't fathom that the V would already be ineffective?

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 09:03 PM

If he didn't get the check to make sure it wasn't effective and it wasn't, it's still not going to be after a year. :

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 PM

Yeah, what she said.

And TEST!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
If he didn't get the check to make sure it wasn't effective and it wasn't, it's still not going to be after a year. :
I know & that's my fear. But really how likely is it that it wasn't effective?? I've never heard of it not being, at least initially.

I know it was stupid of us & I get pregnant incredibly easy so I know if there was even ONE sperm it'd find a way.

I feel horrible for knowing I'd be upset if I was pregnant but I really cannot have another kid.

I need to calm down and just not think about it. I'm sure it's just a weird thing. Maybe because ds just got a new tooth he's sucking differently and that's causing the pain?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:10 PM

It sounds like your dh only had one vas deferens severed, instead of both. If so, chances are that he is virtually normal in reproductive ability.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:11 PM

Sorry, can't reassure you - one of my good friends has a third child from a situation almost identical to yours - Husband got a vasectomy, never got checked, I think she got pregnant a little sooner - like 4-6 months after the Vasectomy.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 09-08-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
It sounds like your dh only had one vas deferens severed, instead of both. If so, chances are that he is virtually normal in reproductive ability.
WHAT? Why wouldn't they have done both?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Banned

Failed vasectomies are very common which is why it's CRUCIAL to go in for that little test your husband poopooed.

Hope things work out the way you want them to...
Old 09-08-2007, 09:28 PM

You dig out the vas through a tiny cut in the scrotum, basically doing it by feel. When you get a cord of tissue that you think it it, you cut it in half and send a piece off to the lab.

Once in a while the cord that you cut isn't the vas, but is a blood vessel or strand of connective tissue. That's why you do the pathology exam of the tissue, and also why you check for sterility with a specimen.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 PM

Heck, I have a friend who got pregnant after a tubal. A failed vasectomy is much more common!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

I have a feeling these are not the answers poor N was looking for
Old 09-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

I can't really reassure you about the V but I can say that I was *sure* that I was pregnant a few months ago - IUD be damned and it turns out I wasn't. I had all the symptoms and DH swore I had the "pregnant smell" but I tested and it turned out my hormones were just wonky.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
As a former andrologist, I can tell you that yes, this could be possible.

POAS and have your dh go in for routine SA to determine whether there are any swimmers.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM

No, I don't think these are the answers she is looking for, but correct in my limited experience. My sister has had 2 post-V babies. Her DH got a V before they met and got married...his first wife never had a pregnancy after his V, so he thought it was complete. But there has never been a sperm that couldn't impregnate the women my family, so even though he had low sperm count, he was able to knock her up (oops the first time, on purpose the second time). She has since had a tubal and no more babies.

So, it is in the realm of possibility. But I hope it turns out the way you want it too .

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM

You certainly could be pregnant, but I wanted to give you hope that maybe you aren't. Every time Nathaniel gets a new tooth he changes the way he nurses and my nipples are sore for a week or two. Here's to hoping the little peanut's new tooth is causing the discomfort!

But you need to go test and your dh needs to get it all checked out! And keep us updated!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
I have a feeling these are not the answers poor N was looking for
You're right.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 PM

I know of several men that failed the follow-up test. Yes, you could be pg. You need to test, have dh be seen and follow the dr's orders this time.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Red

Stop torturing yourself and get a preg test. It's totally possible. In fact, there are others here at MDC who got preggers that way.

I hope you get the answer you want from teh testt~!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
You certainly could be pregnant, but I wanted to give you hope that maybe you aren't. Every time Nathaniel gets a new tooth he changes the way he nurses and my nipples are sore for a week or two. Here's to hoping the little peanut's new tooth is causing the discomfort!

But you need to go test and your dh needs to get it all checked out! And keep us updated!
Thanks, this is my hope!

I'm going to wait until AF is due and if I miss it, I will test.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:15 PM

There are plenty of other reasons for the nipple pain though.

Bad latch
Disruptive nursing
Yeast
On and off while pulling

Etc.. I had nipple pain now and then during my daughters toddlerhood and it wasn't from pregnancy. I would test to make sure and have your hubby go get his spermies tested.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
There are plenty of other reasons for the nipple pain though.

Bad latch
Disruptive nursing
Yeast
On and off while pulling

Etc.. I had nipple pain now and then during my daughters toddlerhood and it wasn't from pregnancy. I would test to make sure and have your hubby go get his spermies tested.
He has been somewhat disrupted & he's not feeling well so he's been pulling on and off.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Well you most certainly *could be* pregnant. I would send DH back immediately to make sure that there is ZERO sperm in his semen. Then & only then will you know that the V was succesful.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
Old 09-08-2007, 10:58 PM

They do the follow up tests for this very reason. You *could* be pregnant. I would definitely send dp in for the test. And, I would go pick up a few HPTs.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:12 PM

My brother has had two vasectomies. Need I say more?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:29 PM

Your husband really needs to go in and get tested. Failed vasectomies are not common but they absolutely do happen. Usually they catch the failed ones when they retest and take care of it for free. If your husband never tested he could very well be fertile.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Dar

My daughter is the result of a failed vasectomy. Just sayin'...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 09-09-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnymoose View Post
My brother has had two vasectomies. Need I say more?

DH appeared to congenitally only have one vas deferens when he had his done a couple of years ago. The urologist said he'd only ever seen it happen a couple of times in his entire career, but that it can happen.

He also started a vasectomy on a man who ended up congenitally having NO vas deferens....but the man had three children. He recommended the man find a counselor and/or attorney rather than a urologist.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Remember that, even when conditions are "perfect" for conception (both partners of normal or better fertility, ideal timing of intercourse) conception doesn't always happen. Don't panic yet- you could have thrush, and/or the flu and/or your child could be "nursing funny" due to teething or illness. You could also have "hormonal weirdness of unknown origin"- ie hormones could be causing your discomfort even if you're not pregnant and even if this has never happened premenstrually before. Our bodies change as we get older.

Now, if your DH had a vasectomy, and never had his sperm checked, there's no way of knowing if he was EVER infertile from the surgury. A year later makes no difference- if it didn't work initially, it will continue to not work (or rather, the reproductive system will continue to work ) a year later.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
My daughter is the result of a failed vasectomy. Just sayin'...

Dar
Yes but how long after the V did you end up pregnant?

I'm actually not panicking yet. I'm hoping the pain while nursing is due to the fact ds is teething. *fingers crossed*!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Remember that, even when conditions are "perfect" for conception (both partners of normal or better fertility, ideal timing of intercourse) conception doesn't always happen. Don't panic yet- you could have thrush, and/or the flu and/or your child could be "nursing funny" due to teething or illness. You could also have "hormonal weirdness of unknown origin"- ie hormones could be causing your discomfort even if you're not pregnant and even if this has never happened premenstrually before. Our bodies change as we get older.

Now, if your DH had a vasectomy, and never had his sperm checked, there's no way of knowing if he was EVER infertile from the surgury. A year later makes no difference- if it didn't work initially, it will continue to not work (or rather, the reproductive system will continue to work ) a year later.
See, in our case conception DOES always happen! :

We've had unprotected sex 4 times during ovulation and I've gotten pregnant every single time.

User Tag List