If you have difficulty conceiving. . . - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How were you diapered as a child, and do you have difficulty conceiving now?
Disposables and no fertility problem. 14 21.88%
Disposables and fertility problems. What kind of problem, please add below. 9 14.06%
Cloth and no fertility problems. 19 29.69%
Cloth and fertility problems. What kind of problem, please add below. 22 34.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious how many women with difficulty conceiving were diapered with disposables vs. cloth. I have heard of and know so many women who are on various fertility treatments, and I was just wondering.

Does anyone know of any studies on this?

Yes, I heard of the fears of sposies keeping scrotal temps high and causing infertility later in men, which is debatable. To me the chemicals in sposies would be a higher factor. I'm not getting into that, but am aware it's out there.

FTR, I was sposied, My mom said I got diaper rash w/cloth. I used sposies and EC first 3 1/2 mos on DD, have switched to cloth except sometimes at night.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#2 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 04:13 PM

Interesting theory, but there are so many factors that can influence infertility and so many people that were diapered in disposables that have no problems conceiving, that I think it would be a hard case to make.

eta: I have pcos. Dh has male IF factors. Both of us were diapered in disposables.

But my sister was diapered in disposables, and so was her husband. They have no IF problems.
#3 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
the choices really did not fit me.

i said cloth and fertility issues.

however, i was CD'erd at night (witch is the longest constant time baby is in diapers. that is why i choose what i did ) and sposies in the day. i have irregular AF and issues with ovulating.

i have heard that sposies could be a real cause. this poll is going to be interesting

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#4 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM

I totally read this wrong! I thought you were asking how we diapered our own children. I didn't see a connection!

I was diapered both ways. I do not know why I had trouble ttc but suspect PCOS

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM

I was cloth diped and had fertility problems that were connected to my thyroid disease.
#6 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM

I checked cloth diapers and fertility problems, but I might have been an 'other'. (sorry!)

We did finally conceive after a year and a few months of acupuncture treatments. So, I don't think I can say I had a tangible fertility issue, but it took a long time, I just don't know why.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#7 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 05:02 PM

Oh, how interesting!

I know I was predominantly in cloth, so I chose cloth as my answer. No fertility problems.

I had no siblings, but dh and his sister were both at least partially cloth diapered, and neither have any fertility problems.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#8 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 05:25 PM

I was both cloth diapered and sposied...and have some fertility issues, egg related and PCOS, and some uterine issues.
#9 of 17 Old 10-13-2007, 01:42 AM

I was all sposie. No fertility problems. Dh was cloth, no problems with him either.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#10 of 17 Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM

I voted cloth with problems TTC.

I was mostly cloth diapered, but if we left the house, I was in sposies. Now,v "leaving the house" wasn't often though, probably just on Sundays or once during the week grocery shopping because my mom is legally blind, and my dad worked very long hours.

I have some thyroid issues, my numbers are good now with medication. I have insulin resistance, and a dx of possible PCOS. Left to my own devices, I would have one or two periods a year.

DH was 100% sposie, and has no known problems.
#11 of 17 Old 10-14-2007, 08:01 PM

cloth here. . . and I have a short luteal phase (although conceived without medical intervention - still not sure how exactly. .. )

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#12 of 17 Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Our infertility issues were both of us.

DH very poor sperm counts and quality, and I had crappy eggs (only found this out after 3 IVF attempts, otherwise everything looked good).

We were both in cloth diapers, but then again age may have something to do with it. There weren't even disposable diapers out when DH was born and I think that they were just coming out, were too $$, and very poor quality at the for my mom to use for me.

Molly
#13 of 17 Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 PM

DH's mom used disposables and he has a severe sperm morphology issue. Although his issue has some sort of genetic cause because his father had the same issue.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#14 of 17 Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 PM

I voted cloth and no fertility problems, well, we conceive quickly and have a DD, but have had two m/c. But I suspect this is skewed towards cloth/fertility problems because when those of us who are 35 and older were babies, disposables weren't an option in general. And well, 35 and older = higher rate of fertility problems. It just does.
#15 of 17 Old 10-20-2007, 08:37 PM

100% cloth diapered by my "crunchy before crunchy was cool" Mama and it took 15 months of diligent charting, etc with DS, 23 with DD... just now starting for my #3 (DH's #5).... my problems are just really, really short window of oppurtunity and inhospitable CM.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#16 of 17 Old 10-21-2007, 01:36 PM

I voted cloth and fertility issues, but I am not sure if that is quite right. I don't know that I really have any issues, just a generally lower level of fertility (have to actually TRY at conception (timing, position, herbal supplements).

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#17 of 17 Old 10-24-2007, 01:46 AM

i voted cloth w/fertility problems. i was cd'ed at a time when sposies were available, but expensive.

i have a rarer form of pcos. i have always had it and self diagnosed when i was 11 y.o. it took many gyn's, re's and 7 years until they "confirmed" what i already knew. idiots.

my mom washed my dipes in bleach though, and i ate lots of coventionally grown meat, dairy and fresh fruits and veggies as a kid. we also used a lot of bleach in our home growing up.

i believe my exposure to pesticides and chemicals caused my pcos.

within a few months of switching to an all-organic diet, no microwave or teflon in the house, no chemicals OF ANY KIND including beauty and cleaning products in our home, i conceived for the first time in 5 years (after 2 m/c 5 years apart). i m/c at 12 weeks, but got pg again with our dd 5 months later.

i believe that flushing my body and maintaining a chemical free lifestyle has reversed my pcos (for the most part) as i am now 23 wks pg with #2. i got pg while still nursing dd at 15 months and on my first pp af cycle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page