So, how do you menstruate when pregnant?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I"ve been thinking lately of the random stories I've heard where women get their periods throughout their pregnancy. How does this happen? and why?

What other pregnancy signs does your body give?

....this situation doesn't apply to me, but I've just been curious about it.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#2 of 8 Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a normal period last time I was pregnant but it was an ectopic so no baby in my uterus, it was in my tube. I also no obvious symptoms and didn't actually know I was pregnant until about 6 weeks when I had ectopic symptoms.

I had a light flow when pregnant with ds and also didn't think I was pregnant but when I didn't get the heavy flow I usually get I tested and it was positive. I also had some spotting, clotting, cramping throughout the first few weeks and I really don't know how he stuck in there but my little miracle boy is now 3 and I am ttc again. I was on progesterone with him and had nasty morning sickness from 6-14 weeks. I think that it was worse because of the stress and the progesterone than would have been normally though. I also had the big boobs (my dh noticed that first ), tweeny weeny bladder, fatigue, most other normal pregnancy symptoms.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#3 of 8 Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 PM

I don't know how it works, but I actually know someone who had their period the whole time, very regularly, and didn't know she was pregnant for quite a while. It's hard to believe that could happen, but it does.

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 11-06-2007, 09:55 PM

My mom didn't know when she was pregnant with my little brother (her 4th child, 5th or 6 th pregnancy) at first. She continued to have her period for 3 months and only figured it out after taking a yoga class and being really uncomfortable in many of the poses.
#5 of 8 Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Had it happen not once but twice!!!

4th and 5th child. Have no idea why it happened but it did and not preggo symptoms with 4th didn't find out about her until 26 weeks.

Sheal
#6 of 8 Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinlaroy View Post
I don't know how it works, but I actually know someone who had their period the whole time, very regularly, and didn't know she was pregnant for quite a while. It's hard to believe that could happen, but it does.
This happened with my (teenage) neice. She found out she was pregnant less than 2 days before she had her baby. Her weight fluctuates, and I saw her 2 weeks before she had the baby and would have never guessed that she was pregnant. She must've carried her baby deep inside her body because she didn't look pregnant at all. It was quite the shock.

SAHM to 3 boys ages 10, 7, and 3.

#7 of 8 Old 11-10-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What I'd give to not know I was pregnant! (when I was pregnant with DS, it was far from a cup of tea!)

So, if you were a pregnant menstruater (BTDT or hypothetically speaking) who charted, what would your charts look like? Would your temps stay high through menstruation and you wouldn't ovulate? ...you wouldn't ovulate, right?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#8 of 8 Old 11-16-2007, 11:14 AM

No, you wouldn't ovulate. And technically speaking, you cannot "menstruate" while pregnant - picky, I know, but I think it does help to know this to understand the processes. You can certainly bleed, but menstruation as it is defined is specifically related to ovulation. Anovulatory bleeding is a different bodily process, even if it follows a similar time pattern. I wish I could tell you more, but I read the above and that's all I retained

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page