Pregnant Again??? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Fertility > Pregnant Again???
CallmeMomma's Avatar CallmeMomma 03:27 PM 12-10-2007
I am beginning to think I get pregnant by my husband merely entering the room. My son, who is now five, was born while I was on "the pill". I was religious about it. Every night at 7! My 2nd was planned. We became pregnant after only one month of trying. I am sure it would have happened sooner but my husband, who was in the Army at the time, was deployed. With my 3rd I was on the depo shot AND using condoms!!! Seriously...

Now, my husband has had a vasectomy. Almost immediately after I found myself a little depressed that I was finished having children. I figured this was a normal reaction. Not to mention I am truly blessed by the three I have. They are my precious angels. BUT I am now 10 days late for my period. My cycle is usually like clock work. Every 28 days without fail. I think the odds for V failure is 1%, but I have found myself in that 1% before. Although a Vasectomy is pretty drastic. I guess we will wait and see...

Seriously though... What are the odds? Could it have failed??? Or am I all the sudden irregular? Is it strange that I might be disappointed if I am not?

Phantaja's Avatar Phantaja 03:44 PM 12-12-2007
The odds of failure are very, very low, but it's entirely possible if he had the procedure recently.
fantesia28's Avatar fantesia28 05:35 PM 12-12-2007
I would say that the odds are low, however it has happened before. If you are 10 days late, why not take a test and ease your mind either way?
mclisa's Avatar mclisa 06:19 PM 12-12-2007
Did he have the post vas check? If that was all clear, then the odds are quite low.
Rockies5's Avatar Rockies5 08:44 PM 12-12-2007
when was the procedure done, and did he go back for the "all clear" SA?

I'm in the same boat, except with 5 children. (give me a break; at least two were planned!)

If all other methods have failed (some in combination) then yeah I totally understand the fear/excitement and worry.

I'm two weeks late, at 30 with no signs of menopause so like what's up?

I'll wait with you, though I won't be testing. I believe maybe it's like stress or something because of the holidays. I had a really bad time a few weeks back and think maybe that caused me to not ovulate or something. I really wish I were still charting, but who charts when their SO is surgically sterile?!

Anyhow all the research suggests a failure rate or late-canalisation (spontaneous return of fertility) anywhere from .8-2%, even after a clear SA! Its higher if your dr isn't a urologist who does at least several hundred vas a year. It's difficult to research as most evidence of "failure" is reported by the surgeons themselves and they often don't believe the wives and mark it up to infidelity (which you know does happen)

I'm a compulsive researcher so just ask if you want links

I'll be happy to wait it out with you, to the amusement of everyone else I'm sure
Kabes's Avatar Kabes 09:11 PM 12-12-2007
Happened to me too. I think my post is on the July Due Date board. I have never been late in my life and I was 10 days late!! No baby though. I'll be watching to see how things turn out for you.
lilgreen's Avatar lilgreen 10:17 PM 12-12-2007
Keep us posted! I've just started to think I might be pregnant while i'm supposed to be protected by an IUD, so I'm very interested in odd-defiers.
ccasanova's Avatar ccasanova 11:33 PM 12-12-2007
It can definitely happen. It has happened to 2 different friend of mine. Both of their dh's had the V done, and then they got pregnant. Good luck!
pbjmama's Avatar pbjmama 01:51 AM 12-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
Did he have the post vas check? If that was all clear, then the odds are quite low.

Rockies5's Avatar Rockies5 03:25 AM 12-14-2007
Phooey! Callmemomma I just noticed this was your first post! Welcome to Mothering and I hope you come back with an update.

I think in my case I'm simply hysterical
CallmeMomma's Avatar CallmeMomma 12:33 AM 12-17-2007
So I am now at 16 days late? GOOD LORD.... It's time to pee on a stick, but I think I am going to wait till after Christmas. With my ENTIRE family coming into town I don't think I would be prepared to tell them if I was. It would need time to *gulp* digest . So wait with me! I promise I will keep everyone posted!

OH, and to answer questions... He had the vascectomy 3 months ago. No, he wasn't tested...STUPID. The appointment totally slipped our minds bc we were in the middle of a major move, but we have been SO careful! I guess we were careful with the other oopsies, too Well, oopsies are always blessings!

...Hey! Anything yet Rockies5???
CallmeMomma's Avatar CallmeMomma 12:36 AM 12-17-2007
It's a pleasure to join this forum btw... Wonderful to have other mom's to talk to!!!
Rockies5's Avatar Rockies5 03:13 AM 12-17-2007
I tested a few days ago and nothing showed up...test was a dud. I can hardly believe that all the stick peeing I've done over the years and THIS TIME I get a dud?!

I refuse to test again. it's been years since his vas and there is just no way. I've had much stress recently. Lost my Gma, almost moved, and went back to school and well as dh looking at a major job change and getting both altitude sickness and the flu in the same week and traveling through 2 time zones with a baby....all in the last 4 weeks so I'm SURE I'm just out of whack.

honeslty more concerend over the zits (at age 30!!) then anything else.

If you just moved too that could be it. Wishing you luck, since you seem positive about the possibility!
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar MCatLvrMom2A&X 03:17 AM 12-17-2007
Unless he had a SA there is a high chance you are pg. Sometimes the dr clips a blood vessel or nerve thinking it is the right cord. So he may still be ejaculating sperm. The only way to know for sure is to go in for the SA.
angelcat's Avatar angelcat 03:25 AM 12-17-2007
Subbing, cause I just need to know how this turns out!
CallmeMomma's Avatar CallmeMomma 11:13 AM 12-17-2007
Okay, I am not quite down with the lingo...SA?

Rockie5- So Sorry about your Grandma. I lost my both Grandparents in this last year. They were the true Romeo and Juliet. After my Pop died my Nana came out of her dimensia (sp?) long enough to realize he was gone and died shortly after. I miss them both dearly especially since it's the holidays.

Sounds like you would be out of wack after all your body has been through in the last couple of weeks!

I don't feel stressed??? So I don't know if that would be the cause. I did have a longer period last month but not anything to toot about and I am definitely not old enough for menopause. Although sometimes I might feel that way! lol.

Day 17... Here we go!
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar MCatLvrMom2A&X 07:29 PM 12-17-2007
SA=Sperm Analysis usually done at 6 weeks post V.
jul511riv's Avatar jul511riv 07:48 PM 12-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post
Subbing, cause I just need to know how this turns out!
laughup

me too!
CallmeMomma's Avatar CallmeMomma 11:15 PM 12-17-2007
Another day come and gone... nothing.
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar MCatLvrMom2A&X 11:45 PM 12-17-2007
When will you test?
CallmeMomma's Avatar CallmeMomma 01:55 PM 12-18-2007
After Christmas. I am a horrible liar and my entire family is coming to visit. I don't think I would be ready to tell them yet if I am... So it is better that I just don't know
Rockies5's Avatar Rockies5 04:51 PM 12-18-2007
yesh, SA= semen analysis!

and just wishing you luck. Even positive stress can cause a strange cycles, like moving to a better home. I often don't feel stressed. My Gmas death was a blessing because she was suffering so much, yet it's still stress.

woot! I'm excited for you and will be checking back after Christmas.
shireen 08:59 PM 12-18-2007
You're 17 days late and want to wait another 8 more days? There is no way in hell I could wait that long. I'm a very impatient person, though.

Geez, talk about keeping us all hanging!!

I wish you luck...
CallmeMomma's Avatar CallmeMomma 09:35 PM 12-18-2007
18 now!
EricaE's Avatar EricaE 09:42 PM 12-18-2007
:
twilight girl's Avatar twilight girl 01:30 AM 12-19-2007
: (love this new smilie! Great for the atheists who don't pray!!)

Anyhoo, can't wait to see how this turns out ... getting ready to send DH off for his vas. here soon ...
kennedy444's Avatar kennedy444 01:35 AM 12-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by my5girls View Post
You're 17 days late and want to wait another 8 more days? There is no way in hell I could wait that long. I'm a very impatient person, though.
)
Me too. I would HAVE to know and then would enjoy keeping the secret!

Keep us posted...............
oliversmum2000's Avatar oliversmum2000 06:16 AM 12-19-2007
wow - can i hang around to find out
pbjmama's Avatar pbjmama 01:25 AM 12-20-2007
So a September or October baby?

I should subscribe so I get the update after you test.
CallmeMomma's Avatar CallmeMomma 01:50 AM 12-20-2007
I am starting to get impatient... Still no period and no sign of one (only that I am craving chocolate, but that could mean baby, too!) I don't know if I can wait until after Christmas any more! AHHHH! 4 kids? That would be cRaZy!!! but a joy of course, just not something I ever fathomed. I feel like my husband glares at me from across the room bc I had him get snipped and some how it might not have worked? lolololol.... ahhhhh.... I can only laugh at this point. I am going to try and get to the store soon to buy a test. I am helping my hubby out with work during the "busy" season so I don't know when I will be able to between that and the kiddos. I will keep you all posted though!!!
1 2 

Up