Diva Cup + Heavy periods Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just wondering what others with heavy periods think about the Diva cup. I got a Diva cup last month when I was half way through my period. I loved it! However, I'm using it now for my whole period. Mine are REALLY heavy and last 7 - 8 days. It's always heavier at the beginning and I've had to use a liner or a pad with it today and yesterday. Am I doing something wrong? I remember reading something on the website about how the cup holds a certain # of ounces and the average period is about that much, but mine fills up completely after about 5-6 hours. I think I may just have to empty it more often, but I just want to make sure there isn't anything else I should be doing. Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 11:49 PM

I have one heavy day during my cycle when I need to empty it every few hours. The rest of my cycle I can usually go about 6 hours between emptying.

You may also want to make sure that it is opening completely, since that can cause leakage, as can not having it positioned correctly (tilted back a little rather than straight up).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My cycles have gotten lighter with recent dietary changes, but I used to empty my divacup every hour or two on heavy flow days.

I had some leakage the first month, but I haven't had that problem since my 2nd month using the divacup, even with some heavy flow days in there. I only used a backup pad if I was having a heavy flow day and I needed to go out that day, and I didn't want to empty the cup away from home..

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#4 of 8 Old 12-23-2007, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I have one heavy day during my cycle when I need to empty it every few hours. The rest of my cycle I can usually go about 6 hours between emptying.

You may also want to make sure that it is opening completely, since that can cause leakage, as can not having it positioned correctly (tilted back a little rather than straight up).
Is it supposed to be tilted back? Or more straight up? I'm sorry, I'm really tired and I'm just not sure which one you mean.
#5 of 8 Old 12-23-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
My cycles have gotten lighter with recent dietary changes, but I used to empty my divacup every hour or two on heavy flow days.

I had some leakage the first month, but I haven't had that problem since my 2nd month using the divacup, even with some heavy flow days in there. I only used a backup pad if I was having a heavy flow day and I needed to go out that day, and I didn't want to empty the cup away from home..
What diet changes have you made? I would love to have a lighter flow to deal with!!

Thanks mamas!!
#6 of 8 Old 12-23-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmom2 View Post
Is it supposed to be tilted back? Or more straight up? I'm sorry, I'm really tired and I'm just not sure which one you mean.
It should be tilted towards your back. The vagina is not vertical in our bodies, so if you insert it vertically, it will not make a good seal.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 8 Old 12-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Mine fills up fast too, and so I just force myself to empty it like every or every other time I use the bathroom. Sucks but it helps. Also, I found that mine seals the best when I let it expand RIGHT after I get it in (so like before it's pushed past my pubic bone).

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#8 of 8 Old 12-28-2007, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody! I feel like I'm getting better at this...

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that some women had shorter periods when using a Diva cup. That seems to be the case for me - this month anyway. Anyone know why? Just wondering.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page